Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Manic d's question about fur - Reply to topic

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Hello Manic d

I suggest that you first try the tutorial about hair masking in the tutorial section.Although it was written by ledirlo it's still a pretty good one.

I personally have two options for managing my hair problems:

1: use the clone stamp with the grass brush assigned to it, with a little size and angle variation, take some hair as the source and stamp over the edges to recreate hair tips that look natural, you can as well blur them as you chose to apply the clone on a separate layer.

2: use another program such as Maya Paint Fx that has great fur and hair brushes.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Grab-a-guru wrote:
Hello Manic d

I suggest that you first try the tutorial about hair masking in the tutorial section.Although it was written by ledirlo it's still a pretty good one.

I personally have two options for managing my hair problems:

1: use the clone stamp with the grass brush assigned to it, with a little size and angle variation, take some hair as the source and stamp over the edges to recreate hair tips that look natural, you can as well blur them as you chose to apply the clone on a separate layer.

2: use another program such as Maya Paint Fx that has great fur and hair brushes.

just so happened that i'm working on something that needed this technique. I used #1.........works like a charm!

Thanks, mystery Guru. If the post gets more than 10 votes, I'll definately note your help. Very Happy

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Manic,
This is Rey.
I don't think anyone is mad. I think some people are just trying to be silly.
The above answer is a good one. This may help too.
There are many techniques for dealing with hair. Each image is different. A lot depends on the background. If the background is a similar color and darkness as the hair, you are going to have a tough time. Sometimes redrawing hair is the only answer. (or stealing hair from somewhere else and matching the color) If the hair is different enough from the background here is a method you can use. I always use the pen tool to make a selection around the entire body, everything bet the hair. When I get to the hair I just make a close circle around it leaving out as much of the background as possible. I make a selection with this path and put the cutout image on it's own layer. Then I add a layer under it and fill it with a color that is very different from the hair. Now draw a loose lasso selection around the outside of the persons hair. Include the ends of the hair and go to approx where the skull starts. Now use the color range selection tool and select and select the stuff around the hair that you don't want and feather the selection 1 pixel and delete it. You may want to hit delete twice. There may be some outside stuff left that you can just erase. There are also ways of creating masks of the hair using the different channels. Sometimes you can see the shape of the hair better in other channels. There are many methods and many different situations. Maybe Manic, you can post an example image and we could focus on that one. Wink Try this too.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blrbps_5agirl.htm
Also for drawing some hair edges to replace hair that you could not remove, try this guys brushes. Some are pretty good. Play with them and then you will learn to create your own.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=graphicssoft&cdn=compute&tm=47&f=10&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.creativemac.com/2003/08_aug/features/download43030828.htm
Some times to replace hair that I had to cut off I will use the free style path tool and quickly draw some strands and then with a 1 or 2 pixel brush set to fade I will select the hair color and stroke the paths that I just made. I will come back to this issue and try to explain everything that I just said with pics. It won't be until tomorrow or later but I will get to it. I did these with the free hand pen tool.
http://photoshopcontest.com/images/large/nwj0owzubfsh8jol5xy57b7lyjgry96a6t9t.jpg

I will return. I promise.

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Linda Bergkvist has a great tutorial on how to create hair.

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:52 pm   Reply with quote         

This is amazing. I am just awed by this.

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:12 am   Reply with quote         

Hey there Manic, its Blue_lurker here. Im not one of the Gurus, more like a goffa, but I always had trouble masking things like hair and feathers and small leavy branches. I stumbled on this tut by Colin Smith and with some tweeking and practice it works 8 times out of 10.
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/masking/masking.htm

Takes a little playing on your behalf but it works quit well

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:43 am   Reply with quote         

sorry about my mega lame hack it's ledirlo here I just made an error posting my reply cheers oscar , ledirlo

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:47 am   Reply with quote         

oh yay...Ledirlo's a gurulo up for grabs Wink Laughing

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:32 am   Reply with quote         

wow this really helped me out... thanks.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Manic d's question about fur - Reply to topic