Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - TYPE / KERNING.... nightmare!!! - Reply to topic

joewarrior

Post Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 am   Reply with quote         

Hi there,

I'm having problems with the type tool on photoshop CS3: When i press return to start a new line the type practically sits on top of the previous line. And if i paste in a section of text it does the same thing...each line of text piles up!

I can't remember changing any type settings? this is a total pain!

please help!

joe

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 am   Reply with quote         

joewarrior wrote:
Hi there,

I'm having problems with the type tool on photoshop CS3: When i press return to start a new line the type practically sits on top of the previous line. And if i paste in a section of text it does the same thing...each line of text piles up!

please help!

joe
i've never used cs3 but i have question? did you rasterize your type? or layer depending on cs2 down? that will give you the option to free trans form the type. and if it doesn't kern correctly you can box margue a few letters and nudge them to kern manually. hope that helps Wink

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu May 29, 2008 4:56 am   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
joewarrior wrote:
Hi there,

please help!

joe
i've never used cs3 but i have question? did you rasterize your type? or layer depending on cs2 down? that will give you the option to free trans form the type. and if it doesn't kern correctly you can box margue a few letters and nudge them to kern manually. hope that helps Wink
i forgot to say that is a way to do it in photoshop and i'm pretty sure you can do it in illustrater but i think the type tool in illustrater gives you more controll of how to use use your type. also fonts have over lays that from a pefect square area.. so if it has any part that goes past vertical lines it will set it to that and mess up the kern. which is why i offered the seletion of the letter and nudge it to where it needs to be.

splodge

Post Thu May 29, 2008 5:25 am   Reply with quote         

make sure you are in text mode and the text is selected

Hallcross Toots
sage

Post Thu May 29, 2008 6:54 am   Reply with quote         

yeah...what Splodge is pointing to is called "leading." This is the space from the bottom baseline (where the text sits) to the one above it. If your leading is smaller than your text size, your lines may overlap. The more leading, the further away from each other your lines get.

joewarrior

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:20 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks guys... yes it is the leading i'm having trouble with.

Smile

blue_lurker

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:33 am   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
yeah...what Splodge is pointing to is called "leading." This is the space from the bottom baseline (where the text sits) to the one above it. If your leading is smaller than your text size, your lines may overlap. The more leading, the further away from each other your lines get.

You cut and pasted that from a book dint ya Wink

joewarrior

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

i pasted it from an email to text edit to photoshop

mightybeet
Site Moderator

Post Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 am   Reply with quote         

this happens to me everynow and then...

go to yer Paragraph window and look at your "add space before paragraph." there should be a crazy number in there. change it to 0 pt

L@rue: I'm eating a bag of bbq chips and drink a cocacola
joewarrior

Post Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 am   Reply with quote         

cool! thaknks for your help guys.

Very Happy

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - TYPE / KERNING.... nightmare!!! - Reply to topic