Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Portfolio building question - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Scrumpy

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:57 am   Reply with quote         

I have the opportunity to take a graphic design course and they want to see a portfolio of stuff I've done. Now, before you start laughing, this is a second career initiative started by the provincial government where I live in an effort to get people who are laid off (manufacturing is dying here) some training to get into a meaningful career. It's not like I'll be competing for a spot with hotshot young designers with killer portfolios. I think they just want to see that they're going to be spending "their" ( Rolling Eyes ) money on someone who has a bit of an understanding of the subject and is going to stick with it. It's a great opportunity for me to get out of the dead-end world of factories and do this stuff full time. I really want this.

I have around a dozen or so entries here that I'm quite proud of and want to use in my portfolio. I was thinking I could (in Illustrator) place the image on a page, with the source image at the top of the page (to give them an idea of where I went creatively).

Is this an acceptable way to build a portfolio or is there a more accepted/professional way of doing it. I don't want to look like a Wally.

Sorry for such a long post, but hopefully one of you in the business can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:07 pm   Reply with quote         

do you have flash? i could show you how to do this in seconds,
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/flash/roll_over/roll_over.html
4 lines of script,,,, i think, but after that it's copy n paste,

there was a long topic on this subject posted before, we talked the guy through it, and he came back to tell us how it worked out, dig deep

Hallcross Toots
Tesore

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Make a website.

Otherwise: I have printed 50 on glossy photograph paper. Made in PS. Such as these. On the left I write characteristics. For example: if the photograph has been made by myself.

If you have to send/show them, 10 is more than enough! And show them different styles.

Good Luck!!! Very Happy

Scrumpy

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:33 pm   Reply with quote         

That's awesome Splodge but I was thinking more low-tech. Just printing each image on a page with the (smaller) source above. Not sure if my "meeting" with college faculty would call for something electronic- but if it does- then your way is super cool.

Cheers

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
Make a website.

Otherwise: I have printed 50 on glossy photograph paper. Made in PS. Such as these. On the left I write characteristics. For example: if the photograph has been made by myself.

If you have to send/show them, 10 is more than enough! And show them different styles.

Good Luck!!! Very Happy

Cool Tesore- that's totally along the lines I was thinking. So this is an accepted method, yes?

BTW... it's funny you used your jockstrap contest entry as an example- my jockstrap entry is one I'm thinking of using Laughing

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

a potential computer graphics artist will always have a chance to show there work on-line, but hard copies are good to hand out, and accidentally leave behind
Wink

Hallcross Toots
Scrumpy

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:52 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
a potential computer graphics artist will always have a chance to show there work on-line, but hard copies are good to hand out, and accidentally leave behind
Wink

Laughing I will find out what the deal-e-o is Splodge and go dig up that thread if need be. Ta.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Its not about the jockstrap Evil or Very Mad its about the beautiful bike!

Laughing

I agree with Splodge: you need a portfolio online as well.
There are photoshops online where you can make your own photo album - they print it, make the album and send it to your home - this is not in English, sorry:
http://www.albumprintservice.nl/HEMA_fotoproducten/demonstratie_fotoalbum.html
http://www.albumprintservice.nl/HEMA_fotoproducten/fotoalbum.html

http://www.kruidvat.nl/domains/default/pages/content/s2/13020000000003-13980000000006/fotoboeken-overzicht.aspx?token=-1
http://www.kruidvat.nl/domains/default/pages/content/S2/Fotoboek-Album-Royal-groot.aspx

Ask/pm MarcoB, he has good ideas about this kind of stuff.

splodge

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

pay for quality prints, the first thing they see before they see your art is your understanding of printing and the quality of print

Hallcross Toots
cherylm329

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I bought a large 3 ring binder and clear page inserts to put my images in. I then printed my images on 8x10 at a local printer. Also, I have yet to try this site, but I think it's pretty cool what they do and the prices are reasonable.

http://www.lulu.com/en/products/portfolios/

Good luck!! Very Happy

Scrumpy

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Cheers for all the help guys. Great to hear from you Cheryl M. Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

My 2¢ - I put this together in about 20 minutes using:
- Picasa
- flip page plugin
- hosted (for free) at 110mb.com

mellowdesign

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
I bought a large 3 ring binder and clear page inserts to put my images in. I then printed my images on 8x10 at a local printer. Also, I have yet to try this site, but I think it's pretty cool what they do and the prices are reasonable.

http://www.lulu.com/en/products/portfolios/

Good luck!! Very Happy

I know a girl from the US who has self-printed commercial books through the lulu site - so would second that!

Very Happy

seamusoisin

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm   Reply with quote         

I would deinitely post on line. You can start a wordpress blog for free and post your photos, chops and even slideshows that you could upload to photobucket while giving a short description of yourself kind of an online resume.

This is what I have on Wordpress which is just a way for me to rant about whatever p***es me off at the moment.

http://seamusoisin.wordpress.com/

I have taken a hiatus from PSC but check daily if you want to pm me.

Cheers

Seamusoisin

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
Scrumpy

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
My 2¢ - I put this together in about 20 minutes using:
- Picasa
- flip page plugin
- hosted (for free) at 110mb.com

Slick Rick... that's awesome Vokaris. Looks like PC only though Confused There's gotta be something for Mac... I'll look around. Cheers MelloD and Seamus (when you comin' back fella?).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Portfolio building question - Reply to topic