Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - help making e-shots?! - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:24 am   Reply with quote         

after confusion about my previous request i found out the name of what i wanted to make....'e-shots'
i want to make things like this, as it's what i've been requested to make. it just sits in the body of an email, like a little newsletter thing, with the option of clicking a url to see it in another window (like that). In essence i can make this in photoshop, using slicing etc...BUT...and this is what i want to make clear...for me to do this properly, ie: to make my pics used show, instead of just the urls etc....do i need to have access to their web server thing? or is there another way? Everyone has been helpful so far and i don't want to be ungreatful...but i think there were a few mix ups about what i was asking for help with? so...finally i found an example of what i mean, so i hope that helps?? coz for me to do this, i cant save it in photobucket etc coz it doesnt upload sliced photoshop images...so is the final answer to access their server and save the pics i need onto there?

mellowdesign

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:23 am   Reply with quote         

To my knowledge, you need to make sure you have all your images uploaded in one folder to a web server...You will probably need something like an ftp address to access the files on such a server (for uploading or downloading). For example, for my server hosted by another company at www.mellowdesign.co.uk I have to access the files on the server using an ftp. link provided by said company, incl login/pw etc.

Then, to upload/download stuff I use the freeware programme Cyberduck...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8392

Am guessing (tho have never had to create an e-shot) that you then create your html file in Dreamweaver or whatever. As a single page the html file will be called index.html (standard name - what every web server recognises as the first page of a site).

Hope this helps a bit...

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:32 am   Reply with quote         

yea helps a bit, seems i can't find out if the various bits of advice work until they give me access to their server, so will wait for them to set it all up properly then give it a go!!

thankyou Smile

splodge

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:35 am   Reply with quote         

that is a web page, not a mail-shot
this is all your customers will see in msn, and many other mail hosts

Attachments, pictures, and links in this message have been blocked for your safety. Show content

You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
if thay know your name and "mark as safe"
then they will see the full message

Hallcross Toots
mellowdesign

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:36 am   Reply with quote         

felloutthesky wrote:
yea helps a bit, seems i can't find out if the various bits of advice work until they give me access to their server, so will wait for them to set it all up properly then give it a go!!

thankyou Smile

From what I understand from companies I've worked with who have done eshots, they tend to pay a kind of distribution company to email their database...I don't know how easy it is to set up for an individual.

Good luck!

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:47 am   Reply with quote         

mellowdesign wrote:
From what I understand from companies I've worked with who have done eshots, they tend to pay a kind of distribution company to email their database...I don't know how easy it is to set up for an individual.

Good luck!

well i'm doing it FOR a company so it's upto them to sort out the distribution, they just want me to design it lol Smile thanks again

splodge

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 am   Reply with quote         

you design it in photoshop, send me the .psd with no funky .html stuff and i'll convert it to .html in dreamweaver and send it back, the company can host it as a web page or try to send it out as a mail-shot

Hallcross Toots

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
you design it in photoshop, send me the .psd with no funky .html stuff and i'll convert it to .html in dreamweaver and send it back, the company can host it as a web page or try to send it out as a mail-shot

wow what an offer, that's so nice of you...but if i get you to do that then how do i learn how to do it myself? is it hard to do in dreamweaver? where can i get a copy of it? is it easy to use, or will it confuse my simple mind? lol Smile

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

splodge

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

dreamweaver is quite expencive and very hard to learn to use properly, i'm no expert, but if some sends me the text, pictures, a design and any link addresses i can made a page in 10 minutes, with dreamweaver it's all copy and past once you know what you are doing

Hallcross Toots

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
dreamweaver is quite expencive

is there any other way of doing it myself without dreamweaver?

supak0ma

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 am   Reply with quote         

this one seems good and it's free

http://www.kompozer.net/

splodge

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 am   Reply with quote         

note pad, don't laugh, i built my first site in note pad,
i really don't know the capabilities of PS when it comes to .html, i'm a pure dreamweaver man now, i dont like to mix code from word, PS, flash, imageready ect, crazy stuff starts to happen when you do

Hallcross Toots
supak0ma

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 am   Reply with quote         

yea, i use pspad, thats it. ditched dreamweaver at version MX

splodge

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 am   Reply with quote         

i was helping a guy on another site build his web site using http://www.kompozer.net/
he managed to build this site with very little experience,
http://www.cchelpme.com/

Hallcross Toots

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - help making e-shots?! - Reply to topic