Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Links to Oversized Entries - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 pm   Reply with quote         

A few times since I've been here I've seen entry notes that contain links to higher resolution versions of static contest entries. Lately I've noticed a couple of entries labeled "GIF" that weren't GIF's at all, but a single frame from a GIF accompanied by a link to a GIF on another site. One GIF in particular struck me as pretty good, but clearly far in excess of the 512k file size limit.

Should linking to external sites to bypass the file size limitations be permitted? I don't think so. I am not trying to cause problems for any members who may be pushing the envelope. I simply would like to know what the rules are. If this has been discussed previously, can someone point me to a thread? If it has not, can we get some member and moderator comments on the issue?

Thanks.

--twk

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:01 pm   Reply with quote         

i have noticed this as well... for me it doesn't bother me if the member is only able to do the non advantage file size i think its 125kb? i spose i wouldn't have a problem even if an advantage member did it unless the larger sized gif hosted on the other site is completely different... but i do feel that the image hosted here at psc should be the one that is voted on due to the fact it shows your skill if you can get a kickass gif to work under the 125-512 kb... if that makes sense just my thoughts... good topic twk Wink
-m-

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't really see a problem with it. Mainly because the main reason there is a file size restriction is to keep people from uploading huge files and taking up space and bandwidth on the server. I never thought of file size as part of the competition. If you can make something that looks good enough blurry and pixelated that someone chooses to go off site to see a better version, then I think you've done a good job.

cafn8d

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:14 am   Reply with quote         

The current file-size restrictions are double or quadruple what they used to be! Take a tour back in time, about 2 years ago(?)... you think there are a lot of links to larger versions now... Rolling Eyes And yes, it was always an issue, for some entries and to some people more so than others. The more reliant the official entry was on the outside link, the more fervent that debate tended to be. I think limited file size is viewed by many people as part of the competition, which is part of what gives Advantage memberships an advantage, and outside links are viewed as supplemental "showing one's work" rather than a wholesale replacement for the PSC-hosted official entry. Now, just ask some really long-term members just how big file sizes were back when people had to host their own images for contests on this site. I think Scion had something like a 4 mb .gif as an unofficial record!

Who said size doesn't matter? Laughing

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:16 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
A few times since I've been here I've seen entry notes that contain links to higher resolution versions of static contest entries. Lately I've noticed a couple of entries labeled "GIF" that weren't GIF's at all, but a single frame from a GIF accompanied by a link to a GIF on another site. One GIF in particular struck me as pretty good, but clearly far in excess of the 512k file size limit.

Should linking to external sites to bypass the file size limitations be permitted? I don't think so. I am not trying to cause problems for any members who may be pushing the envelope. I simply would like to know what the rules are. If this has been discussed previously, can someone point me to a thread? If it has not, can we get some member and moderator comments on the issue?

Thanks.

--twk
i agree here, with you completly.

annajon

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am   Reply with quote         

I remember the old days in 2004, when I put up my entries via another website and linked them to psc, and not long ago, I wanted to show off some of what I made these days on that old website. Not a chance! I had to resize my current work to the lower upload standards of that other website. So we are not that badly off, I think.

For me it seems that knowing fully how to use Illustrator and such, to create a moving gif, is a first. Perhaps that would be a nice thing for a tutorial here on PSC. Resizing and limited colours, and sometimes frames, without loosing the main attraction of what you were meaning to say?

mightybeet
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 am   Reply with quote         

i dont have a problem with it. gif or jpg if ya work hard on somethin, reg or adv member, and its follows the psc rules then its legit. kudos to goin the distance! and the 512k limit is so that it doesnt take up that much disk space on PSC server. (originally i thought it was for bandwidth but thats no issue so sayeth the proc).

L@rue: I'm eating a bag of bbq chips and drink a cocacola
TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:18 am   Reply with quote         

Link to them all ya want. But if the chop depends on getting around the file size limitation I simply don't vote on it. I'll comment and give feedback but not the vote (and I'll point out the reason for the non-vote in the comment).

janetdog

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:26 am   Reply with quote         

Anyone can make a presentable .gif with 512k.
It takes a little planning and restraint to make a good one @125k.

Anything larger is a cop out. A cop out because the creator spent way too much time on details that were lost in compression and wasn't willing to lose that much hard work. My gif's are always way overworked compared to the final project. I made a gif a few months back with a flipping house. It contained more cloned grass than I could shake a stick at. It was beautiful @ 800x600. Three frames and a little compression later, I was kicking myself for the hour of time I lost.

That's part of the game. That's why giffing is risky.

It's personal choice in the end. Are you willing make people click a link to view your work? I assume most people won't even click for big much less link to another website all together.

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:20 am   Reply with quote         

I don't think size always matters, anyway....it's whether or not yu know how to "work what ya got" and what comes out of it, in the end.

hmmm.....that sounded.........well.........

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:41 am   Reply with quote         

People DO vote for the external links as opposed to the chop that's been posted in a contest. And we end up with something like this on the front page when the contest is over: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/139330/votes.html
That can't be good for the site! batman

splodge

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

Actualy, in the old days there was no limit to file size for animated .gif's, i think the biggest ever was 5.5MB, but i think if you can't chop to fit the site you should not get the votes

Hallcross Toots
Scrumpy

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:55 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
People DO vote for the external links as opposed to the chop that's been posted in a contest. And we end up with something like this on the front page when the contest is over: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/139330/votes.html

I take it you hit the "vote" button when you meant to hit the "comment" button when you voted for that one Anfa? Wink

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Scrumpy wrote:
anfa wrote:

I take it you hit the "vote" button when you meant to hit the "comment" button when you voted for that one Anfa? Wink

Marco is my friend and I always vote for my friends(except when I don't)!!! scratch

Micose

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:52 pm   Reply with quote         

[size=24]ANYWAY PLZ SET THE DAM RESIZED PIC AT 125 k [/size]
PSC had never used <50 k pics right? ....it's really annoying to see all my textures gone.... Understand me,most of my works are based on a detailled texture... and these have to appear when people see it for the first time (so in the voting page) for full impact...

im bored to ask this seriously...
theres a huge change between a 550large pic at 45 k and the same size pic at 125 or even 100k...

thx .

and personnally no issue with the 1280x960 original submitted pic...
its awesome as Caf said....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Links to Oversized Entries - Reply to topic