Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Automated PMs for new Comments? - Reply to topic

Good idea?

Yes

68%

68%

[ 15 ]

No

31%

31%

[ 7 ]

Total Votes: 22

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Now that the comments are opened indefinitely I think it'd be neat if there was an automated PM sent when someone adds a post-contest comment to a chop.

Many times I review the comments to glean tips that might help me on my future chops. If someone's going to look at, and comment on, one of my old chops it'd be cool to know they commented.

So can there be a mechanism that would automatically send a PM to the creator of the chop when someone adds a post-contest comment to it?

I added the poll so JMH could guage interest in the idea. As always I bow to him and the masses on the idea.

wendysmurfie

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Uh.. yes it is a good idea. But.. how will you know where to look for it. I think it isn't realy a improvement if you have to search through all your entry's for the new comment. Then that entry will have to be named in the pm or a link should be in it... isn't that hard to make.. Confused If it's possible, i think it is a good idea.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:35 pm   Reply with quote         

It's a nice idea, but pm space is limited for a reason. When you have tons of users with lots of pm's in their boxes it takes up a decent bit of space. Also, if post contest commenting got popular, you could have notification pm's filling up your inbox quick and making you potentially miss important messages.

However, don't despair because I know he is looking into it. Smile
TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:01 pm   Reply with quote         

wendysmurfie wrote:
Uh.. yes it is a good idea. But.. how will you know where to look for it. I think it isn't realy a improvement if you have to search through all your entry's for the new comment. Then that entry will have to be named in the pm or a link should be in it... isn't that hard to make.. Confused If it's possible, i think it is a good idea.

Well my thought is that the automated PM would contain a link the the chop that was commented on.

billtvshow wrote:
It's a nice idea, but pm space is limited for a reason. When you have tons of users with lots of pm's in their boxes it takes up a decent bit of space. Also, if post contest commenting got popular, you could have notification pm's filling up your inbox quick and making you potentially miss important messages.

However, don't despair because I know he is looking into it. Smile

That's a good point BTVS and I thought about that before the suggestion. That's why I suggested only for post-contest comments. If I'm not mistaken most of the comments come during the contests and very few after. But you're right that it might catch on and cause a problem. Maybe it could be an option that people could turn on/off in their profile setup? As for operation I think it'd be similar to the "watch this thread" function from the forums. Maybe instead of a PM the author would get an email?

supak0ma

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:03 pm   Reply with quote         

automated pms? Shocked

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:17 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
automated pms? Shocked

Yeah I guess PMS is already automated isn't it? Laughing

Showcase

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:36 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah, just what was He thinking automating that sorta thing...least he could have done was automated certain urges...3 times a week...and twice on sunday...at least...

meh. youre prolly right...who wants to do laundry that many times a week anyway.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:39 pm   Reply with quote         

eww... Shocked Laughing

Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:34 pm   Reply with quote         

agree with Tofu...good idea

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Automated PMs for new Comments? - Reply to topic