Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Photography Question - Reply to topic

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I had a question...

I know most of you take pictures and submit them here for the daily contests.
My question is what camera do you use? Whay type of lense? Do you like shotting macro
vs. other styles? The reason i ask is many of the new images we are chopping are wonderful
Im thinking about purchasing a professional camera soon like a nikon or a canon eos.

If you want to go into more details about your cameras or other info....
feel free to post your thoughts and input.

Thanks

dbbowling

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 am   Reply with quote         

I use a Nikon D100, with a Nikkor 14mm1:2.8D lens, although I have a few other lens's, I use this most of the time, then go in and crop the section I want, other than this being kind of heavy, I love it, my next toy will be the Nikon coolpix 5800, it's light and takes great pictures

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:43 am   Reply with quote         

Paul,

what lenses would you recommend lets say for marco? And why do you shot with a 14mm1:2.8D lens? Did you get it with the camera...or for a specific type of shot you were trying to acheive?

-db

FootFungas

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

Ive only posted a couple (the infamous banana source)
but i have a panasonic FZ20 with a fixed lens and it has some great macro capabilites.

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 am   Reply with quote         

dB - You'll find that Nikon and Canon are your two "most popular" choices for digital SLRs. Myself, Canon. Just a preference really - I used to be Nikon when I shot real film, but they were slow to get going on affordable digital SLRs and now I'm hooked on Canon. Even Canon's cheapest digiSLR (rebel) takes a very good picture.

You have to ask yourself how hardcore you are going to be, because a lot of what you pay extra for is a better body and mechanics...

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I am looking for a macro lens in the near future db, so I can't really say right now, but I shoot with a 14mm because, I was always wanting to get more of the image, or the big picture, I bought it after, it cost as much as the camera itself. I was shooting film with a Nikon 8008 before, so it only made sense to me to stay with Nikon, that way I could keep using the lens's I already had, and keep adding new ones, before this was possible, I held off buying a digital camera, when I read the D100 was coming out, and you could interchange lens's, I was so happy, but I waited months, and ran down and bought it as soon as it came out, another thing about the Nikon coolpix 5800, I think it has a macro setting.

buglover

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm   Reply with quote         

With a digital SLRs u will get the most possibilities but like ReinMan said: You will also pay more than the double price of the body for lenses if you want to use them in good quality.

Right in the moment I would give a look to the compact cameras, like:
sony cybershot DSC-R1 (10,3 Mega Pixel, 24-120 mm)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 (8,0 Megapixel, 35-420 mm, anti shake)

or the mega zoom if u prefer higher focal distances, like:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 (7,2 Mega Pixels, 36-432, anti shake)

Together with a macro or wide angle lense you can level up your scope.

I would wait with with the purchase of an dSLR until Canon or Nikon integrate the anti shake function into their bodies. They won't do in 2007. By the way, Sony is getting into the DSLR market and in my opinion there will be a big movement in the next two years. So my recommendation is: to buy a compact or megazoom now and make the decision for an dSLR system in 2 or 3 years.

Greetings Torsten (canon EOS 350D)

Forgot to say:
Good side for neutral and professional information:
http://www.dpreview.com/

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:57 pm   Reply with quote         

I have a canon eos10d, which you can pick up pretty cheap these days. if you want an all rounder lens then you wanna get a 50mm, to be honest its pretty good for everything, as for macro you can always get a reversing ring, which are a few quid but work better than the bellows i got tbh. basically it just attaches to the filter thread at the end of your lens and allows you to use the lens the wrong way around. I basically use my camera for macro ect.

L@rue

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm   Reply with quote         

I have an Old Cyber shot make by Sony butI when I will have some more cash I would like to buy an other one soon

thbeghin

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:54 am   Reply with quote         

i use a canon 5D with 17-40mm and 70-200mm. Like Reinman, i always was a nikonist, but i switched to canon for the same reasons (and also because of the autofocus which was crap on nikons).

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

tasssos8

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:26 am   Reply with quote         

Hi there.
I just got a new fujifilm finepix S9500 and it's just great. Macro as close as 1cm to the subject and great professional menu.
It's my first professional digital camera and really cheap for what it is, around $500-$600.

I used to shot with my SLRs Nikon F4 and Nikon F3. No comment on those. Just perfect SLRs.
Regards Smile

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:

Niiiiiice Marco...I've got a Sony and I am quite fond of it...
I once used a Yashica Medium format, but I was stoned a lot back then...so that explains that...
Shocked

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Photography Question - Reply to topic