Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - What turns you on, and turns you off - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

DKCdesigns

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:52 pm   Reply with quote         

As the title states, what kind of chops move you (in either direction ... lol). Couple of things to get the discussion flowing;

Turn on - Being able to tell a definitive story in a one tile image almost always gets a vote from me.

Turn off - Gratuitous use of blood and guts is an instant turnoff to me, even if it is perfectly done. I realize this is a personal taste thing, but I can't help it. I do like a dark image, just not violence for the sake of shock value.

So, what gets your juices flowing ... or dries them up Question

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Turn on - Basic images, like a flower or an animal.

Turn off - Busy images, images with too much going on, no focal point.

cherylm329

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Turn on-Basic attraction to the eye or a sudden jolt back from pure amazement. Colorful (or dark images), artistic, ideas, and messages are a thing for me too. I personally like tasteful (not too much gore) horror/gore images Very Happy

Turn off-Anything political, a women or man that is used in a distasteful manner, or anything that is just corny Razz

Micose

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

StoneDigidy wrote:
Turn on - Basic images, like a flower or an animal.

Turn off - Busy images, images with too much going on, no focal point.

Turn on Busy images, images with too much going on, no focal point
Turn off Basic images, like a flower or an animal
Twisted Evil
no... whats me turns off ...is ...i dunno...bad crops, bad compos, no harmony,no aim, no background,no shadows...
whats turns me on : all technically brilliant job whatever it is, or/and chop with an inner meaning, dep thoughts etcc...whatever the style
Marx-Man

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I got this switch on my yback i cant quite reac it but its like an on off switch

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Good chop tells a story, Bad chop asks a question...

(such as what the f**k is that????) Laughing

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Turn ons...something over the top Creative, like turning a racetrack into an old turntable (thanks, Vlad). Or manipulating a swan image into a folded napkin...so elegant. (thank you EJH). Or anything hilarious like basketball players turned kitchen chefs tossing a head of lettuce into the air (thanks Deshone). Synthvet's speeding rat. Laughing Laughing Laughing
...or Everything in our Galleries (plus some that aren't)...top notch stuff!

Turn offs...poorly executed images & lack of imagination.

bneises

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:06 am   Reply with quote         

Turn ons: I like the story behind images, dark or light. messages without word is awesome too...

Turn offs: bad quality gifs, I usually don't like gifs allround but if it well done it still gets a vote because of the work put into it.

podgorski

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:46 am   Reply with quote         

Turn on:
A good story behind the image or just a totally creative idea different from all the other entrys.
I specially love social themes integrated in images (but with taste, of course) which reminds us all of some problem and surreal images.

Turn offs:
Just a basic use of 2-3 filters to create a chop in which you can actually tell what filters are used.
When i see a chop which is done following a tutorial step by step without any creativity and thinking involved... Happened a few times that i see a great image but i also know of a tutorial explaining exactly the same thing, people don't even bother to change it a bit.

So basicly, i love when people use their brain and do something unique with it and dislike when they do the opposite Wink

hzgvbzl v ,.,.gfdh.hdl,msdfh.,spš66s,.r6,žw6šsl
HandToolUK

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:04 am   Reply with quote         

DKCdesigns wrote:
Turn off - Gratuitous use of blood and guts is an instant turnoff to me, even if it is perfectly done. I realize this is a personal taste thing, but I can't help it. I do like a dark image, just not violence for the sake of shock value.

Have to agree on that as a turn off DKC - but us sensitive souls seem to be in a minority here... Wink

I used to have a thing against images that were too polished as well - and yes, I'll admit (as I did back then) that means a lot of the slick "professional" looking images by some of the top names from here. NOT because I was jealous of their skills (honest!) but because the images often seemed... well... too contrived, too "arty". I know that's often the whole point - this is an artistic site after all - but hey, that was just me. I'm not quite as turned off by those images now, but I still tend to gravitate away from those posts when I'm trying to decide how to vote.

As for what turns me on - well, she'd be about 5ft 2, long dark hair... oh wait. That's a response to something else... Laughing what I meant to say is:

It's not easily definable - I know it when I see it! The main thing is, it has to look convincing to me. That doesn't necessarily mean realistic (as in a totally "real" kind of pic like a street or country scene - surreal or illustrative images can work too) but it does have to look convincing as an image. If I spot anything I perceive as incongruous or that doesn't "fit" it makes me hesitate.

I'd rather vote for a well-produced if somewhat basic, cliched or plain image than a too-fancy "dramatic" picture with lots of effects put in that show off the artist's PS "skillz". Razz

Humour works too of course, particularly the more subtle or off-the-wall kind.

Marx-Man

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:39 am   Reply with quote         

man you like em small... i mean 5 2 dame would be a tiny bit short of the mark gee.

HandToolUK

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
man you like em small... i mean 5 2 dame would be a tiny bit short of the mark gee.

lol. All my carefully considered points about PSC entries... and that bit of my post is what you choose to comment on? Razz

Marx-Man

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

well a 5 2 dame with 6 hair would bee a sight for saw eyes gee.

Wouldn't like to give that doll the up and down.

ReinMan

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

Turn On: something that no one else saw in the source, and then even PARTIALLY executed well. That's cool.

Turn Off: stepping on fresh chewed gum in my bare feet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - What turns you on, and turns you off - Reply to topic