Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - animated vs. stills - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

cafn8d

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:48 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
flash rocks Smile Smile Smile
Subject : BBC Video Enquiry

Dear Mr ‘Splodge’

I am writing from Tiger Aspect Productions. We are an award-winning UK television producer and we are currently making a new series for the BBC which will showcase some of the funniest, most innovative and creative videos we can find online.

We are very keen to include your video ‘Badger Trance’ and I am writing to find out more information about it. We are required by the BBC to get permission from the owner as well as anyone featured – can you tell me if I have found the right person? If you do own the clip, would you consider letting us use it in the show please? If not, could you send me the link to where you originally found it? Any help you can offer would be very welcome.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgertrance

That's excellent, Splodge! Very Happy

ScionShade

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:49 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
flash rocks Smile Smile Smile
Subject : BBC Video Enquiry

Dear Mr ‘Splodge’

I am writing from Tiger Aspect Productions. We are an award-winning UK television producer and we are currently making a new series for the BBC which will showcase some of the funniest, most innovative and creative videos we can find online.

We are very keen to include your video ‘Badger Trance’ and I am writing to find out more information about it. We are required by the BBC to get permission from the owner as well as anyone featured – can you tell me if I have found the right person? If you do own the clip, would you consider letting us use it in the show please? If not, could you send me the link to where you originally found it? Any help you can offer would be very welcome.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgertrance

Are you saying they wanna use badger trance on a tv spot?

Soze

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:51 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Soze wrote:
ScionShade wrote:
Why is this cheating guy Soze still on this site?

Cheating guy?
Have i done something to you?
I think cheating guy is non a good word right?
Sorry for my bad english Lord Scion?

Seriously..this guy and his buddy had what...almost sixty aliases? Why is he still here?

Ohhhh Lord Scion , Big Star of our Sky, you are the light that alla we lost souls have to reach to get heaven.
But on the aliases you are wrong.
Past is past. That Soze is death. And i think i let it see with my chops..
I get back the respect of all here on PSC and i'm proud of this.
Maybe not all, but a lot of them respect me like an honest chopper.
And who is my Buddy?
Oppsss an i forget this: with sixty aliases i think i has to win every day contest. Aren't you agree?

splodge

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:03 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah! i'm going to be famous, who wants to buy my lifetime advantage membership???
na, i know thies shows, they only show a few seconds of each movie plus there could be a few copyright prob's with weebl-stuff.com, but i am trying to push the gordonk movie on the man

Hallcross Toots
splodge

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi Splodge. In order for us to include your clip in our show, we’re going to need you to sign the attached contract and send it back to us, which entitles us to use the clip. This does not mean that we own the clip nor that we will use it for global purposes. Any liabilities we take responsibility for. We’re also offering you £100 for its release. You can either email it back via Adobe or send it via mail,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they still want it Smile

Hallcross Toots
Soze

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:11 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
Hi Splodge. In order for us to include your clip in our show, we’re going to need you to sign the attached contract and send it back to us, which entitles us to use the clip. This does not mean that we own the clip nor that we will use it for global purposes. Any liabilities we take responsibility for. We’re also offering you £100 for its release. You can either email it back via Adobe or send it via mail,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they still want it Smile

CONGRATS SPLODGE, I'M VERY GLAD FOR YA

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
oh...thought this thread was titled "Animated vs. Stills." Confused

If this is a Photoshop learning site all things PS includes (Image Ready too) should be an acceptable medium. If ya don't like gifs, don't vote for them. Simple. But try to keep an open mind, as some of them are very well made.

Some ppl toss in hand drawn then scanned images. Is that valid? I mean they're able to IMPORT it into PS.

Again, I'll state that I don't think 3D modeling software should be used here...even if CS3 allows ya to IMPORT it into PS. Razz Wink

Yeah!

dewking

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Dewking in the forums?! First he wins a prize contest, now this?!

Anyway... I used to dislike Gifs, mainly because people didnt know how to optimize them and they'd end up taking WAY too long to load and taking up way too much bandwidth. Now, times have changed.

I didnt read the full topic, so forgive me if this has already been said. After reading the first page someone mentioned "I can write a novel in photoshop, should that be submitted too" (paraphrased) to which I say, uh... yes. As long as you can include the SOURCE IMAGE in your post, I dont care what you do to it. Animate it, 3D it (in CS3), write War and Peace over it, filter the hell out of it, whatever. It may not win, but it should be allowed. And if it does win, well done using the source with a novel's worth of text! Hell, I'd be impressed if it was done right!

Its PHOTOSHOP CONTEST, Ive done a few (very few) animations with ImageReady and PSCS3 and with each one, i've edited the images in photoshop at some point.

The overall point is, its a fun site where, aside from prize contests (of which Animations RARELY win-if ever), you get nothing but bragging rights among other choppers.

"I lost to an animated gif... " oh no! not that, you've lost the contract with Nike now! Oh, wait...thats right, its just a fun online community of professional to student photoshoppers that, at the end of the day, doesn't put much weight on what you do "in the real world".

I've won a lot of contests, and lost a lot of contests, but I include both in my portfolio for clients (well, I may leave some of the Jesus-gap jeans posts out). None have ever looked at them and thought, "well, you were 10 votes short of the win, I'm sorry, we're going with Marcoballistic." Wink

Do your best, vote for what you like, dont vote for what you don't. "I dont like gifs!", so dont vote for them. "I dont like posts that use a lot of filters!", dont vote for it.

Its a repetitive mantra, but ReinMan put it best, and I'll spell it out for those who may not understand... Shut the fuck up and chop.

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:03 pm   Reply with quote         

all due respect, DewKing, you sort of missed the point of why I dredged up this 3 month old topic...

allow me...
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8086&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

dewking

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Ah...ok.

Either way, just copy and paste my answer over there. I'm pretty sure it will have the same message.

im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
ScionShade

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Please optimize your images, this one is 128k. Typically they should be around 50-60k. Thanks!

dewking

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Please optimize your images, this one is 128k. Typically they should be around 50-60k. Thanks!

Ahhh the old days of 3MB 640x480 photos and 8MB animations.

annajon

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:42 am   Reply with quote         

Sleepyeyed wrote:
is there any way we could break up the contests by separating the animated pics from the still pics. In my mind they do fall under two different categories. I love both, but sometimes the still pictures are far more beautiful than the animated ones and vice versa. I think these need to be separated for the fact that some don't know how to create an animated gif. Also, I'm sure, that it kind of is a flashy way of doing true art work with the attraction of motion. To all of you gif animators out there: I appreciate and adore your work, it is something which I cannot create, but it seems as if there might be some advantage to doing that. And to the still artists, you only have one frame to master. It takes time and patience to create an animation that has both timing and realism. Would anyone else like to comment on this topic?

On seperating - perhaps - on advantage of having a gif - totally wrong. Because not being able to make what you want to move in the restricted space can cause the endresult to crash terribly, so, working on a still would have been easier and defenitly would have been the better quality entry.

Now I will read what everybody else has written over the past months.

annajon

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:05 am   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
Stevster wrote:
apples and oranges

Not true at all, vokaris.

My first thought was, yes it would be good to separate the two. But, in the meantime I have read the comments, looked at examples of gif work, written emails, thought about many other things, but all to do with people, and then I noticed the image of an apple and an orange.

And then I knew. There is no need for separate entries. There is just a need for close minded choppers to open up to differences in creativity.

Apples and oranges are FRUIT - both are good for you, some people hate apples others hate oranges. But even when you hate both, there are other kinds of good fruit, like berries. Or nuts.

We are creating something from a given. Yesterday ScionShade was all worked up about the fact that nobody dared step outside the box with the given Book of the Dead. And in that picture you see a sculpted creation, somebody’s 3D take on what comes with the Book of the Dead. I didn't want to do anything with that picture at first. Because it is a picture of somebodies creation. Like taking a winning entry here on PSC and telling people to make something new with it.

Maybe that was why the entries all looked the same. Dare to destroy and recreate a creation.

I wanted to make a gif, but I ended up making a still image of the essence of the gif I had in mind. My book of shadows entry. And it looks like a painting now. So, 3D ending up in a painting but wanting to be a gif.

Other times I worked on a photo and it began to tell me a story. Like with the Big Truck. I wanted the boy to do fun stuff skating on his little Tonka, to show off the man who stands small next to the Big Truck. Then I noticed the dog underneath the big truck. And I recreated him into the frames. And then my story was complete. But I only had one Tonka and in a still frame you can't make the boy lose the toy and make the dog get away with it. So I created a gif. All I need to do now is find a way to do more frames - and keep it small at the same time, so it wouldn't go so fast. But hé, it is a start and the story is out there. And the dog won.

I loved creating the dog, from a blob. Nobody even noticed the dog. Who cares. I could have gotten a picture of a dog from the Internet. But I didn't.

And if I put my boy and the dog in all their goofyness on one frame, and had made that an entry, who knows, people might have sayd I was thinking outside the box, creating a gif inside one frame like that. But I didn't. Because at the time, a moving image seemed to be the best way to express myself.

If you ask me at the moment - separate entries for gif and stills, I change my opinion in NO. Why would you. And don't even ask others about it. It will only show that some people can't see what other people are trying to do with their entries.

Each person here on PSC has their own way of making something work for them. That is the key word. It is their view on an image. And that works for others or it doesn't. Some days I like work by people I call my PSC friends, other times I don't get it. And then I look at it another day, and perhaps I will see something different in it then. That's the influence of mood as well as frustration, or envy, call it what you like. Most of the time I see other peoples work as a window on what is possible, how to step outside my own little frame of mind and dare to venture into new worlds.

I know that taking photo shopping up again, after so many years of not doing anything at all (online that is), I also want to get back at real painting, with paintbrushes on real canvas. Something I couldn't do a lot longer.
Being here on PSC is a creative challenge. And the fact that other people tell you they like what you did, or give advise on how to do things more easy next time, that is a miracle. Let’s keep the peace here, and the way things are.

At least until 99% of people has access to new methods of photo manipulation. Then you can add that, but not separate it from the rest. Nitpicking, that's what I would define choice between gif and one frame.

Having said that, can somebody email me and explain what VECTOR is?

Just kidding (although I don't know what it is)

Anna

Soze

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:14 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
vokaris wrote:
Stevster wrote:
apples and oranges

Not true at all, vokaris.

My first thought was, yes it would be good to separate the two. But, in the meantime I have read the comments, looked at examples of gif work, written emails, thought about many other things, but all to do with people, and then I noticed the image of an apple and an orange.

And then I knew. There is no need for separate entries. There is just a need for close minded choppers to open up to differences in creativity.

Apples and oranges are FRUIT - both are good for you, some people hate apples others hate oranges. But even when you hate both, there are other kinds of good fruit, like berries. Or nuts.

We are creating something from a given. Yesterday ScionShade was all worked up about the fact that nobody dared step outside the box with the given Book of the Dead. And in that picture you see a sculpted creation, somebody’s 3D take on what comes with the Book of the Dead. I didn't want to do anything with that picture at first. Because it is a picture of somebodies creation. Like taking a winning entry here on PSC and telling people to make something new with it.

Maybe that was why the entries all looked the same. Dare to destroy and recreate a creation.

I wanted to make a gif, but I ended up making a still image of the essence of the gif I had in mind. My book of shadows entry. And it looks like a painting now. So, 3D ending up in a painting but wanting to be a gif.

Other times I worked on a photo and it began to tell me a story. Like with the Big Truck. I wanted the boy to do fun stuff skating on his little Tonka, to show off the man who stands small next to the Big Truck. Then I noticed the dog underneath the big truck. And I recreated him into the frames. And then my story was complete. But I only had one Tonka and in a still frame you can't make the boy lose the toy and make the dog get away with it. So I created a gif. All I need to do now is find a way to do more frames - and keep it small at the same time, so it wouldn't go so fast. But hé, it is a start and the story is out there. And the dog won.

I loved creating the dog, from a blob. Nobody even noticed the dog. Who cares. I could have gotten a picture of a dog from the Internet. But I didn't.

And if I put my boy and the dog in all their goofyness on one frame, and had made that an entry, who knows, people might have sayd I was thinking outside the box, creating a gif inside one frame like that. But I didn't. Because at the time, a moving image seemed to be the best way to express myself.

If you ask me at the moment - separate entries for gif and stills, I change my opinion in NO. Why would you. And don't even ask others about it. It will only show that some people can't see what other people are trying to do with their entries.

Each person here on PSC has their own way of making something work for them. That is the key word. It is their view on an image. And that works for others or it doesn't. Some days I like work by people I call my PSC friends, other times I don't get it. And then I look at it another day, and perhaps I will see something different in it then. That's the influence of mood as well as frustration, or envy, call it what you like. Most of the time I see other peoples work as a window on what is possible, how to step outside my own little frame of mind and dare to venture into new worlds.

I know that taking photo shopping up again, after so many years of not doing anything at all (online that is), I also want to get back at real painting, with paintbrushes on real canvas. Something I couldn't do a lot longer.
Being here on PSC is a creative challenge. And the fact that other people tell you they like what you did, or give advise on how to do things more easy next time, that is a miracle. Let’s keep the peace here, and the way things are.

At least until 99% of people has access to new methods of photo manipulation. Then you can add that, but not separate it from the rest. Nitpicking, that's what I would define choice between gif and one frame.

Having said that, can somebody email me and explain what VECTOR is?

Just kidding (although I don't know what it is)

Anna

I thought this thread was ended Laughing Laughing
Great Anna. Your words are words of respect for other kinds of creativity and works.
Works that obviously are done with all versions of Photoshop. This site name is "Photoshop contest". Soo i think there is nothing more to say.
Sante

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - animated vs. stills - Reply to topic