Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - png support for entries? - Reply to topic

to png or not to png

go, go, png, go!

50%

50%

[ 6 ]

booh png, hurray for no or minimum transparency

25%

25%

[ 3 ]

i don't care, but i want to vote anyway

25%

25%

[ 3 ]

Total Votes: 12

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:34 am   Reply with quote         

Currently when one enters a contest the only allowed filetypes that you can upload are jpg and gif.

Obviously this started in the early days due to browser restrictions (most major browsers could only display jpg and gif)

Since a couple of years then png format became more and more supported by many major browsers. Unfortunately the major one lacked proper support (can someone say IE).

With IE7 the png support has finally come to a point that it is properly implement. So we can now safely say every major browser can render png's like they should be.

So, here's my suggestion:

Allow the png format too for entries.

This could turn out for some rather interesting images, as the png format allows for alpha transparency (unlike gif, that only supports one transparent 'color')

like to hear the pro's and contra's

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

Very Happy

dewdew

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:16 pm   Reply with quote         

png..... scratch o.k. but just for you grefix. Smile

pro's and contra's
pro's:......i dont have a clue what png other than a diffrent file format would do. Photo-n-graphics= makes sense.

I have how ever wondered why the 1280x960 jpeg size is the format. 1280x960 is not a very widly used size. 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024. those i see alot the 1280x960is just weird to me. Maybe the fact it is different is why?

CONTRA's: You can play one or two players. The scatter gun is great, but the laser is a one shot kill gun. Flipping while firing can really clean house......ughhhh that's the CONTRA i know. I have spent a many a quarter on that bad boy. Greedy

May your wish be granted, and may you recieve the intellegent imput you were after....now where did that change machine go. afro

splodge

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:13 pm   Reply with quote         

.png file format is way to big compared to .gif and .jpg, maybe that's why it was never used in contests before

Hallcross Toots

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
.png file format is way to big compared to .gif and .jpg, maybe that's why it was never used in contests before

Most likely true, but with the current restrictions set to 512 kb (granted this is only advantage), you can already enter a decent image (considering dimensions)

(example here, stupid image but just to demonstrate the transparency levels and the dimensions, filesize:506kb)

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:13 pm   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
CONTRA's: You can play one or two players. The scatter gun is great, but the laser is a one shot kill gun. Flipping while firing can really clean house......ughhhh that's the CONTRA i know. I have spent a many a quarter on that bad boy. Greedy

Also made famous the cheat code "up up down down left right left right B A select start" Mr. Green

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:00 pm   Reply with quote         

bsoholic wrote:
dewdew wrote:

Also made famous the cheat code "up up down down left right left right B A select start" Mr. Green
and bam 60 lives, just like that Laughing png thats fine w/ me too Wink

Micose

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

what is the diference, visually? u talked baout Alpha layers, but visually u can do evthg u want with a jpeg no? explain better wht differences im intersted in...please ;Grefix.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - png support for entries? - Reply to topic