Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Question concerning displacement water tutorial - Reply to topic

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

I've got a question concerning Displacement Water Tutorial which is situated in on your site in tutorial section (I can't post a link because of flood protection here) so I'll post some quotations from the tutorial.
Quote:
The displace filter "shifts pixels" in an image according to the brightness values of a displacement map. You can use any .psd file as a displacement map (if saved with "Maximize compatibility"). Displace uses the first and the second channels of this .psd file for horizontal and vertical displacement respectively. Each channel is a grayscale image. Medium gray (brightness 128) does nothing. Darker values will shift an image in the positive direction (in Adobe coordinates). Brighter values cause a shift in the negative direction. The amount of displacement can be controlled separately. At a scale value of 100, the displacement measured in pixels is equal to 128 minus the brightness of the displacement map. For example, a white pixel will shift an image 128 - 255 = -127 pixels at the corresponding pixel at that setting.

1. Where can I displace the channels? What is medium gray? Where is it situated?
Quote:
We will use the result of the previous steps as a bump map to create a representation of the tilt of the surface. We will do this separately in channel 1 and channel 2. You can ignore channel 3. It does not affect the displace filter.

2. On my channels pallete I have channels named red, blue, green and RGB. In that case, what are channel 1 and channel 2? Where can I select them to do the manipulations describe in the lesson?
Quote:
Unlock the background layer.

3. How many layers do we use in this lesson? I thought we have only one background layer. And there was no step where we had to lock it. I've missed it. On which step should I lock the background layer?
Quote:
Fill with medium gray (brightness 128).

4. Where can I pick the medium grey to do filling up?

Thank you

MindGraph

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 am   Reply with quote         

Well I have to go through the tutorial myself as it's been a while but in the meantime here is the tutorial link Kevin is speaking of.... Wink
also what version of PS are you using?

http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/26/displacement-water.html

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 am   Reply with quote         

Photoshop CS2

MindGraph

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 am   Reply with quote         

ok...try and help you with what I can but tutorial is too long for my time right now.

2. On my channels pallete I have channels named red, blue, green and RGB. In that case, what are channel 1 and channel 2? Where can I select them to do the manipulations describe in the lesson?
The channels are identified as Red Green and Blue BUT if you look to the right side of the channels they are also numbered.

3. How many layers do we use in this lesson? I thought we have only one background layer. And there was no step where we had to lock it. I've missed it. On which step should I lock the background layer?
The background layer is locked from the start. If you look on the layer where it says "Background" it will have a little lock icon to the right of it.To unlock it you have to double click on that layer and name it layer 1 (it will come up as that so you should just have to click ok)

Make your medium gray in RGB (R 128, G 128 and B 128)
I'm a little confused with what your asking on your first question but I hope the other things I put in here help you. If not keep asking.
Good luck!

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:07 am   Reply with quote         

1. Where can I displace the channels? What is medium gray? Where is it situated?
Medium gray is just that. The grey point smack in the middle between white and black. You'll pull it from your color picker.

Channels, I believe, are numbered in this tutorial the same order that they are in. So RGB=123.

The "Background layer" is the default layer whenever you open an image in Photoshop and it's locked by default as well. So working on a photo directly requires you to unlock that layer. You can unlock it, and keep the original safe, by simply duplicating the layer and hiding the original "background" layer. This way you can start over if you hose your copy.

Again medium gray is 128,128,128 in the color picker. That's a value of 128 for each channel (red, green, blue).

Edit: DAMN YOU MG! You beat me to it and type faster! Laughing

FootFungas

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 am   Reply with quote         

For medium gray, hit select something with lasoo, marquee, etc
right click the selection, select fill, and select 50% gray frow the menu.

Channels 1 and 2 are just the first two channels, in this case, Red and Green. It makes a difference if you are using a different color mode, I guess.

*edit* beat twice!!

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:15 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks to everybody, your help is really revealing Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

MG's what is showing?

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:43 pm   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:
For medium gray, hit select something with lasoo, marquee, etc
right click the selection, select fill, and select 50% gray frow the menu.

Channels 1 and 2 are just the first two channels, in this case, Red and Green. It makes a difference if you are using a different color mode, I guess.

*edit* beat twice!!

This is a really old tutorial, but your reply is exactly what I needed. I looked all around the internet trying to figure out what channels 1 & 2 were. THANKS

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Question concerning displacement water tutorial - Reply to topic