Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Arbitrary rotation of just a layer? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:08 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:

viola!

What do stringed instruments have to do with this at all???

(Sorry, Shaman...couldn't resist...)
Smile

ReinMan

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:50 am   Reply with quote         

A ReinMan™ Micro Tut!salut

Okay TOFUmanlyMan - this works pretty cool. It is a few steps as well, but once you get used to it you can go pretty fast. And there are many more things than straightening you can do with this basic concept.

You'll need at least CS2 to do this (not sure if CS did it or not):

A) choose the layer you want to rotate. If you have more than one layer that you WANT THE SAME ROTATION ON, shift+click them so they are all selected.

B) RIGHT CLICK (cntrl+click) on one of the selected layers and choose CREATE SMART OBJECT (CONVERT TO SMART OBJECT).

C) Double click on the new combined SMART OBJECT layer's THUMBNAIL, and a new window with just those layers pops up.

D) Go and do your RULER / ARBITRARY rotate thing (for those of you unfamiliar with this: i) go to the eyedropper tool and click side triangle to get RULER tool ii) go drag the cursor along a line in the image that you want to be straight (eg: horizon) iii) go up to MENU bar and choose IMAGE / ROTATE CANVAS / ARBITRARY iv) don't change the numbers, just click OKAY in the dialogue box v) violin! She's straightened out! )

E) After things are straightened out, do a CNTRL+S (or File Save) on the new window. Almost immediatly the layer(s) rotate in the ORIGINAL document. Rather cool.

F) when you are a happy camper, close the Smart Object window so you don't get confused and drooly like ReyRey.

A bonus of this is that you can come back at any time (on the Original image) and click on that Smart Object and remuck with your layers - straighten some, move some, delete some, whatever... FUNKY CHICKEN, eH? Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the technique Reindude! I'm on CS3 so I likey the smart objects. Cool

Just a note of how this issue came up for me. I was creating perspective guidelines on the Range Rover source photo. Basically I had a layer that I would would draw a narrow brush line tracing a vertical or horizontal line from the background. I only trace over the visible part and then stretch transformed the line across the whole image. This made the angles of the line and the reference line go askew (like that work 'askew') and I had to then rematch the lines. There are several subtle variations in the vert/horz lines in that photo due to parallax and that's how this thread's question came into my feeble brain. Razz

p.s. I KNOW that I could have used a path to set the lines and stroked the path (man that sounds dirty). But that's not how I started and I'm too stubborn (a.k.a. lazy) to change technique mid goofing off. Laughing

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:34 am   Reply with quote         

rashdog wrote:

What do stringed instruments have to do with this at all???

(Sorry, Shaman...couldn't resist...)
Smile

Laughing you're the only one who caught it! Laughing
its also a type of flower

just havin' fun.
almost put Wah-la. but didn't
and awesome tut ReinDude! I knew someone would show the way far better than I could ever do. Once the meds kick in and the ADD goes away... i'll be sure to try... voila! Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Arbitrary rotation of just a layer? - Reply to topic