Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Gifs and people who vote 4them - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Why do you vote for gifs

because OMFG its moving and I have no idea how to do that so it must be magic!

11%

11%

[ 6 ]

I vote for quality along with the fact its animated

52%

52%

[ 27 ]

I don't vote for gifs or only unless they are outstanding.

35%

35%

[ 18 ]

Total Votes: 51

abraham

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Even among the static images we ask why some better chopped images get less votes compared to the winning one. We can only conclude that voting is really to each his own.

Regarding gifs, sometimes some good ideas really have to be in animation. I believe some of my gifs could not be as effective if it's only in static. Aside from my ' Rock Star" here are the other samples:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/134768/i-believe-i-can-fly-gif.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/129110/fountain-gif.html

This is one of the best. And it's from Sean:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/129006/votes.html

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:53 pm   Reply with quote         

im too lazy to read all the way through this thread... but when i 1st started here... one person that took the time to explain gifs to me was marty (martrex) he is talented at them along w/ others...

i have a hard time w/ gifs trying to get them to fit into the allowed file size limits here... this is why i have respect for gif's... also not everyone knows how to make them...

animation is not my thing but i have done 4-5 of them out of my portfolio... and one actually got 2nd place... i think it got 2nd because it was funny and shameless self promotion even though i did a lot of repair and ps work... the actual animation part of the gif was very simple: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/133077/ngsp-theatre-gif.html

and of course i loved twks rendition of rein dude and i in this one Laughing Laughing Laughing even though it was pretty simple too... but it still made me laugh: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/142270/strange-brew--gif-updte.html

so i can't say that i vote for any old gif as i like the quality ones best... followed by humor 2ndly.

but if i see a person trying it for the 1st time or so i understand that it is a hard thing to do thus i vote for their entry... this is my thought on the topic Wink
-m-

PSC is like a gang... i got beat in... if i leave... they'll beat me off!!!
Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Anfa Rules Rolling Eyes

The way I see it, bad gifs never win contests anyway, you know humor is what drives votes on cheesy gifs, sometimes that adds to the humor Laughing

Tawiskaro

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

-

ScionShade

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

Holy Carp. We're reliving 2003 here.
CONSERVATIVES SUCK!
wait..I'm a conservative..I mean...
GEORGE BUSH FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

bigbuck

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 am   Reply with quote         

Very Happy

Soze

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:10 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
I had forgotten about Sean's and Abraham's bamboo entries. Excellent work in both. Water effects and fire effects are really difficult to pull off. They succeeded by doing what good GIF's require: maximize effect with a minimum of movement or a small number of frames. The Anfa growth GIF that Paul posted is another fine example of that pronciple. Lots of apparent "infinite" motion in a handful of frames. Fluidity. Good stuff.

Is there some reason we can't have a GIF gallery? I'm sure there are hundreds of GIF's out there that I haven't seen, and scores that have slipped my mind. Abraham, TheShaman, Granulated, Anfa, Martrex, Soze, couldbe5150, Luxwiz, Dumbat, and many others have produced some great stuff I've admired, but I want to see more. A GIF gallery could be populated based on title or file type easily enough. There's even room for it at the bottom of the page right after "winners". It would be a good resource for aspiring animators, imho. Besides, one or two of mine might make the cut. Smile

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERYGIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY GIF GALLERY

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:29 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Holy Carp. We're reliving 2003 here.
CONSERVATIVES SUCK!
wait..I'm a conservative..I mean...
GEORGE BUSH FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

blame the LHC

little side-note, not really adding to the discussion. I think it's funny that anyone who syas something and shows examples that they pick examples from their own portfolio. I neglected to do that in my previous post. So here are my own personal favorites :p

can't push this most of the work went in to missing parts
Gordonk(looks easy but it took me quite some time to cram in all frames within the filesize restrictions, that's why i used ballons instead of actual sound, ha.. hmm yeah.. not funny )
Smoking signs Not difficult but it still makes me smile Smile
BirdieWell not a real favorite, as I still wonder why I got so many votes for this...

Soze

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:38 am   Reply with quote         

-

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:48 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:

Grefix: Your Gordonk and Birdie links appear to be the same. Love the missile launch!

adjusted, damned copy/paste! Very Happy

annajon

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:22 am   Reply with quote         

any pointers on my new moving avatar?

Granulated

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
Even a stupid gif like this one...

from this source

...required cleanup/reconstruction work, done at high res

Sometimes this sort of stuff is overlooked when looking at gifs.[/img]

Very Happy

Granulated

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

the burning couch wrote:
What the hell was with the votes on this Granny?!?
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/111206/walk--nahhhhh-.html
friggin great one

quality first*!*

cheers...
well..it was anonymous..and I won..so cant grumble there !

Granulated

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:20 am   Reply with quote         

GIFted wrote:
up yours arse holes Razz Laughing

Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Gifs and people who vote 4them - Reply to topic