Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are Graphic Designers even paying attention in school? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

supak0ma

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 am   Reply with quote         

why in hell would you work in rgb if your product outputs in cmyk? i can't grasp this concept. Reinman knows it all. Listen kids.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 am   Reply with quote         

Reinman is indeed wise. BUT he missed the tidbit that it was the "creative type" who doesn't know her ass from her elbow. Total reversal of the what I've come to see as the "norm". Laughing

jerry717

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

txpinky wrote:
Heinlein wrote:

Any Graphic Designer should know that any images placed into a layout document for print should always be CMYK

That's not true anymore! Heinlein
Nowadays you can work fully in rgb (rgb-workflow) and place only rgb-psd-files in InDesign.
When the order is finished, you make the postscript and pdf with a cmyk-profile.

I'm working like that since 1 1/2 year now! Much better! Wink

That is where the whole thing about excepted mediocrity comes in to play. If you are not finishing your work in CMYK (final color, sharpening, GCR vs UCR on an image by image basis) than the best you can hope for is dependent on a profile made by someone who knows way less about color reproduction than an average retoucher. Profiles are great if all you ever want is mediocre.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
She is fairly attractive with a killer body. So there has to be some leniency right? Laughing

is she really hot? Can you send me a pic of her? Make it a tif if you can, I promise I'll only open it in Quicktime!

Laughing

She looks a bit like a brunette version of Monica Potter with a better body. Razz

Heinlein

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 pm   Reply with quote         

jerry717 wrote:
txpinky wrote:
Heinlein wrote:

Any Graphic Designer should know that any images placed into a layout document for print should always be CMYK

That's not true anymore! Heinlein
Nowadays you can work fully in rgb (rgb-workflow) and place only rgb-psd-files in InDesign.
When the order is finished, you make the postscript and pdf with a cmyk-profile.

I'm working like that since 1 1/2 year now! Much better! Wink

That is where the whole thing about excepted mediocrity comes in to play. If you are not finishing your work in CMYK (final color, sharpening, GCR vs UCR on an image by image basis) than the best you can hope for is dependent on a profile made by someone who knows way less about color reproduction than an average retoucher. Profiles are great if all you ever want is mediocre.

I agree!

I spend a lot of time on each individual image to be sure the colors are correct.
Sure I could take the easy way out and covert it to a print ready pdf, but then I would be taking a chance having the colors off. My company is very strict with their corporate colors
and I have found that the Pantones do shift somewhat when using pdf profiles.

I am not saying that I know it all when it comes to design, but when you work on it each and everyday you learn what works and what doesn't.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are Graphic Designers even paying attention in school? - Reply to topic