Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - what you name your entry - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

st1n3r

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Maybe its just me, but sometimes I don't even look at an entry because of what the artist calls it. I am wondering if anyone else have issues like this, or other similar issues?

SWINGING BLADES LIKE A HELICOPTER

YerPalAl

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Not me, personally. I look at the chop before I even read the name. What names turn you so off? (I'd like to know to avoid losing any support from members)

TheShaman

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked are you kidding me?

OK if I'm being honest, I get sorta annoyed when people have untitled entries, but in those cases I just offer what I would call it.

this isn't poetrycontest.com or reallycooltitle.com or namethisartwork.com
this is photoshopcontest.com! its the photoshopping that should be important, not what the artist decided to call it.

the name of an entry should have zero barring on if the actual entry is vote worthy IMHO... but yeah what Al said Confused

Serps

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I dont often look at the name or who posted until after ive looked at the pic, but if you need a hand naming an entry just let me know I can always help. See sig Very Happy

st1n3r

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so i can't really name any...

untitled names are fine, doesn't bother me at all.

cool or snappy names aren't what interest or put me off..

its more like philosophical titles or something that annoy me.

maybe i'll just get over myself, but i just wanted some feed back Smile

SWINGING BLADES LIKE A HELICOPTER

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm   Reply with quote         

dude...
http://photoshopcontest.com/portfolio/13937/index.html

Laughing Laughing Laughing

*edit* carp! We posted at the same time. Still don't know what you mean but thought some of your titles (or lack of titles) was funny. Razz

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:16 pm   Reply with quote         

It’s NOT important, but... while choppin’ there always is a song coming up… and I play that song a few times. Sometimes I use the title of the song for the chop and a url of youtube with that song.

But I don’t care what other people do or don’t. I look at the chop, even before I see the name of the artist. Sometimes I recognize the artist by his chop... I like that.

Oldies alert!!!
Laughing

sonic3

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 pm   Reply with quote         

st1n3r wrote:
Maybe its just me, but sometimes I don't even look at an entry because of what the artist calls it. I am wondering if anyone else have issues like this, or other similar issues?

I really dont understand that! I dont see what the name has to do with it, yeh ok sometimes the name is a bit crappy but to not even look at what someone has created is a bit off really m8.

If i've entered a comp i look at every entry to see what ideas others have had, to see how new members are improving and to decide who i'm gonna vote for.

Surely it just plain manners and sportsmanship to at least view them.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I generally don't care about the title of an entry, but I love when a member has the generosity
to give a great title for my entry... like your "GOD zilla" Mr. st1n3r!
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/89089/godzilla.html
Laughing

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I feel like a bad title or lack of title can't hurt someone's entry, but if there's a witty or creative title then it does have a tendency to make me want to vote for it.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:27 am   Reply with quote         

st1n3r wrote:

...its more like philosophical titles or something that annoy me.
You mean the ones that try too hard to be deep but just come off as pretentious wanking?

In my opinion, an image should speak for itself and stand on its own without the help of a title.

I won't vote for an entry where the title serves as the punchline to a joke, or any instance where the title is essential in helping people understand what's going on.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 am   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
st1n3r wrote:

...its more like philosophical titles or something that annoy me.
You mean the ones that try too hard to be deep but just come off as pretentious wanking?

In my opinion, an image should speak for itself and stand on its own without the help of a title.

I won't vote for an entry where the title serves as the punchline to a joke, or any instance where the title is essential in helping people understand what's going on.

So it could be a great chop but the title delivers a punch line and you don't vote for it...man that's harsh.

I vote for what I like, that's when I vote at all. Don't worry about titles till after I have looked at the image same goes for who dunnit, look first, read second, go large, then vote.

But that's just me

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:

So it could be a great chop but the title delivers a punch line and you don't vote for it...man that's harsh.

I vote for what I like, that's when I vote at all. Don't worry about titles till after I have looked at the image...

We all have our own ideas of what constitutes a great chop.

In a visual contest, if an artist intends to convey meaning or humour but must rely on words to get it across, then he has failed in my opinion.
If the visual is great, I'll still vote for it, but I've seen mediocre entries make the top 3 that wouldn't stand a chance without a punchline title to explain why the image is funny.
(If only someone less lazy than me would find an example)

Btw, I agree with you about looking at the image first and the title second (in fact I rarely even look at the title).

dewdew

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:21 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Maybe its just me, but sometimes I don't even look at an entry because of what the artist calls it.

Yeah, it's just you.
Laughing

The dude with the Shaky spear(e) wrote:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

By not looking at the work, you're most likely missing more than the person who's work you passed over. Maybe in the form of inspiration...ideas...or just learning something new. Idea

BUT hey, i don't vote for anyone who uses the letter P in the title... Rolling Eyes So...we all have our ways. Laughing Cool

i really vote for the P ones too.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:53 am   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:

In a visual contest, if an artist intends to convey meaning or humour but must rely on words to get it across, then he has failed in my opinion.
If the visual is great, I'll still vote for it, but I've seen mediocre entries make the top 3 that wouldn't stand a chance without a punchline title to explain why the image is funny.
(If only someone less lazy than me would find an example

Like is this what you mean, its not a title but it is close to what you are on about I think.

Was not in the top three rather the top 6. Many people here have deployed this style of work here and well PS comes with text. Wink

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - what you name your entry - Reply to topic