Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - You Never Know Until I'ts Gone!!!! - Reply to topic

couldb5150

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:16 am   Reply with quote         

Hey fellow lunatics here in the Asylum......
Had some very strong impacts lately of "You never know what you have till its gone" issues lately!

Curious to know what any of yours are?

~5150

buckie74

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:55 am   Reply with quote         

We're still trying to recoup from Katrina. My husband, his mother, and his sister all lost homes. They were all located on the same piece of property. The short of it is that we had to fire our contractor yesterday and have about 2/3 of a house. This has added insult to injury. We're trying to reclaim just a little bit of heaven on Earth and hope to do so by this summer's end!

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
We're still trying to recoup from Katrina. My husband, his mother, and his sister all lost homes. They were all located on the same piece of property. The short of it is that we had to fire our contractor yesterday and have about 2/3 of a house. This has added insult to injury. We're trying to reclaim just a little bit of heaven on Earth and hope to do so by this summer's end!

have you ever thought about leaving this region? Isn't it possible, that such a desaster can repeat one day?

Cartoon Contractor

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:36 am   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
buckie74 wrote:

have you ever thought about leaving this region? Isn't it possible, that such a desaster can repeat one day?

Have you ever heard the term "There's no place like home"? Hurricanes are a way of life here! The people in California don't leave because of earthquakes. We only leave when we see a hurricane coming! (At least us smart ones do).

buckie74

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:40 am   Reply with quote         

We've lived here all our lives, have strong bonds with and love for the City of New Orleans, and definitely want to be a part of the rebuilding. I own a home about 40 miles north of the city. I had wind damage only. I lost trees and had only a tiny hole in my roof though my car got pancaked. My husband's family property is on a bayou slightly northeast of the city. Despite being far from the Gulf of Mexico this area actually got the storm surge. We are building a fortified home 7 feet above the base flood elevation and mean to use it as a camp rather than a primary residence. Two of the lost homes were built in the 50's on slabs when flooding wasn't an issue. A building boom in this area serverely impeded drainage and the rest is history. A friend of mine did move to Tenneesee and now has to contend with tornados! We figure most places have downsides and southeast Louisiana has a special place in our hearts. We are in a position to help and don't want to abandon our way of life here. We accept the risk...!

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
yello_piggy wrote:
buckie74 wrote:

Have you ever heard the term "There's no place like home"? Hurricanes are a way of life here! The people in California don't leave because of earthquakes. We only leave when we see a hurricane coming! (At least us smart ones do).

I know that phrase, and I am lucky to live in a region without a risk of natural desasters. so you guys may have more experience in estimating deadly risks. I would have my pants full...

Tarmac

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:09 am   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
yello_piggy wrote:
buckie74 wrote:

I know that phrase, and I am lucky to live in a region without a risk of natural desasters. so you guys may have more experience in estimating deadly risks. I would have my pants full...

Well I agree, but as the Gulf Stream's flow changes its direction, which it will someday, Vienna and all of Europe will find out what its like to live in Canada's frozen tundra until it changes direction back again.

Bottom line is .... All regions, have their surprises, and down sides. Its Life. Confused

couldb5150

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
buckie74 wrote:

Amen I am now living between Idaho & California....i am a 40 year native to Calif and you are right ....earthquakes are just a thing that happens out here...and unless they are really large.....5.5-6.0 or above they can be rather fun to "ride out"....Thanks for the in put guys!!!!...(& gals)

~5150

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - You Never Know Until I'ts Gone!!!! - Reply to topic