Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Smudge painting - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Patre

Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Every since I saw Delia's work and very much appreciated her virtual painting technique, I decided I would give it a try because "nothing beats a failure but a try". So I have spent the last several months learning the smudge painting technique. Thanks,Delia, for helping me start the process.

I have very little real artistic talent,so trying to make a photograph look like a painting without having to create it from "scratch" was"right up my alley". Moving pixels around(by smudging them) on a photograph in order to create a painterly effect has been a really fun hobby. After all the pixels have been smudged, usually some filter applications like high pass,Topaz adjust/details etc., are executed to accent the painterly effect. The other very positive thing for me is that these "paintings" can be "gicleed" and placed on a canvas. These giclee prints actually look like they were painted on the canvas, and make great gifts for friends and family.

It is not a commercial venture for me,only a fun hobby .
However, I thought it would also be fun to design and create a web page which would display some of the smudge portraits and provide some basic information to anyone who might be interested in pursuing the hobby. Last week I finally mustered the energy to develop the web page. I am not a professional web page designer,but I did the best I could with what I knew.

For anyone interested in viewing the site,the address is here:

http://www.patthompsonsmudgepaintinggallery.com/

All the best,
Patre

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 am   Reply with quote         

Nice work there, Pat.

Very Happy

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:59 am   Reply with quote         

I love the technique, and have done quite a few, I have a large format printer, and I could not be more pleased with the results, here's one that I just sold, it was from a photo I took in Venice Italy.

As you know, they are a lot of work, but worth the effort, you have some really nice stuff posted on your link Wink

splodge

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:40 am   Reply with quote         

some fantastic work there pat, i know how hard it can be and how long it can take.
a word to the unwise, stay away from hair and fur while learning, unlike me who started with one huge fur ball the family dog HEX,

Delias Tutorial,

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9126

Hallcross Toots
Tesore

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am   Reply with quote         

Well... I'm impressed! Awesome work.
My compliments guys & Delia Bow

Cartoon Contractor

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:54 am   Reply with quote         

I'm impressed also, Great work guys! thumright

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

Patre wrote:
Every since I saw Delia's work and very much appreciated her virtual painting technique, I decided I would give it a try because "nothing beats a failure but a try". So I have spent the last several months learning the smudge painting technique. Thanks,Delia, for helping me start the process.

I have very little real artistic talent,so trying to make a photograph look like a painting without having to create it from "scratch" was"right up my alley". Moving pixels around(by smudging them) on a photograph in order to create a painterly effect has been a really fun hobby. After all the pixels have been smudged, usually some filter applications like high pass,Topaz adjust/details etc., are executed to accent the painterly effect. The other very positive thing for me is that these "paintings" can be "gicleed" and placed on a canvas. These giclee prints actually look like they were painted on the canvas, and make great gifts for friends and family.

It is not a commercial venture for me,only a fun hobby .
However, I thought it would also be fun to design and create a web page which would display some of the smudge portraits and provide some basic information to anyone who might be interested in pursuing the hobby. Last week I finally mustered the energy to develop the web page. I am not a professional web page designer,but I did the best I could with what I knew.

For anyone interested in viewing the site,the address is here:

http://www.patthompsonsmudgepaintinggallery.com/

All the best,
Patre

lovely work

Granulated

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:47 am   Reply with quote         

helps GREATLY having a tablet

bigbuck

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am   Reply with quote         

Good stuff Pat!

ReyRey

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:53 am   Reply with quote         

Terrific Patre!!!

ReyRey

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:01 am   Reply with quote         

Patre wrote:

I have very little real artistic talent

You underestimate yourself my friend. It is easy to make one of these smudge jobs look like crap but you handled them very artistically smudging the correct areas and leaving alone very important details where smudging would had ruined it. You also picked great subjects and images with beautiful color. You handled the surroundings of the portraits with a delicate touch and a great eye for what is pleasing. All this to come up with a beautiful final product. Only an artist could have done such a good job. Hold your head high. You are an artist. Wink

sage

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 am   Reply with quote         

Great work, Pat! And listen to Rey... at least while he's not singing... Wink

Mir

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 am   Reply with quote         

I agree with ReyRey, I think you are a very good artist, you have some beautiful work here, I especially like American soilder and Louis Armstrong. Keep up the good work! I have bookmarked your website so that I can Very Happy show it off to my friends. Very good work indeed.
delia

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
helps GREATLY having a tablet

I am sure it does, but I do all my stuff with a mouse, so it is possible.

Great stuff, Pat, the beginnings of a wonderfully addictive hobby! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the covered wagon scene. It's my favorite of the bunch for sure.

http://www.track4va.com
splodge

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:08 am   Reply with quote         

i just cant get the correct effect Sad

Hallcross Toots

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Smudge painting - Reply to topic