Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Entry Removal Requests - Randomizing contest entries?! wtf! - Reply to topic

Should entries be randomized?

Yes

50%

50%

[ 6 ]

And No

50%

50%

[ 6 ]

Total Votes: 12

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:56 pm   Reply with quote         

So as I was watching some contests, it looked like some people view entries on the first pages only, so for example in the toy copter contest when I was watching it:
The first entry by wiz on page 1 was viewed 288 times, 34 votes
Another entry on page 2, f*ck by anfa: 144 views, 19 votes
On page 3, curious cat 74 views
and the rest get less than 20 views.
What I mean is, and this is just an example without saying an entry is better than another, 144 people viewed Anfa's entry, 288 people viewed wiz's entry, so if I run calc.exe, the calculations will tell us that 13.1% people voted for Anfa, and 11.8% people voted for Wiz, which means if 288 people viewed Anfa's chop, and 13.1% people voted for Anfa, Anfa would get 37 votes! Now, let's say Wiz was faster than Anfa, and uploaded his entry three hours before Anfa, is it fair to lose 50% of possible votes within 3 or 4 hours? If you think its fair then, people in here are from all around the world, and have different time zones, so lets say Anfa was asleep at 3 am, when Wiz woke up at 6 am to make his entry, should Anfa wake up at 3 am just to get his entry on the first page? =/ Sorry if i'm complicating it, but see at least, entries should be randomized so people can get curious and view all the entries that are available at that specific time. The possible outcome of this is that, more entries are likely to be viewed by people, and that people won't be afraid of updating their entries and the overall quality will be better, and since no one runs out of votes, of 25 votes I mean, so as they're viewing, if they see some bad entries in the middle, they might use their votes better, but when they see a bad entry in the last page, and a worse one on the same page, they would vote for the bad one.
Thought of sharing my thoughts, since I have nothing else to do!
scratch

jerryhami

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:03 am   Reply with quote         

Hey koorio I know this can be frustrating but if you look through the old threads there are a ass load on this same rant same as voting and comments.
It is just part of the PSC way.
My advise is to chop hard, vote and comment on the chops you feel need it and just enjoy the ride.
I not saying your rant is not valid it is just the nature of the beast.
I have to remind myself of this often.
Go back and look at your portfolio you have already improved tremendously your short time here.
now
STFUAC

janetdog

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:04 am   Reply with quote         

People from all over the world vote on their time. 6 am here might be 9 pm there. See? It's important to post early. Just a few hours out of kickoff means fewer people will see it.

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 am   Reply with quote         

jerryhami wrote:
Hey koorio I know this can be frustrating but if you look through the old threads there are a ass load on this same rant same as voting and comments.
It is just part of the PSC way.
My advise is to chop hard, vote and comment on the chops you feel need it and just enjoy the ride.
I not saying your rant is not valid it is just the nature of the beast.
I have to remind myself of this often.
Go back and look at your portfolio you have already improved tremendously your short time here.
now
STFUAC

salut

Oscar

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:05 am   Reply with quote         

"it is just part of the PSC way"

a broken way

anyways ... koorio there is a way to beat and cheat the system. It has been done before and it's still been done now.

TheShaman

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:16 am   Reply with quote         

Yep...
But lets also remember that page one starts on day one, at the very beginning of the contest. If page 3 doesn't exist till either late the first day day or the next day, those view counts will be smaller because of this. Entries that don't even exist till the last day of a contest will have the least amount of views. All entries in front of the newer ones will of course have more views. Its pretty simple to figure out.

What you guys fail to realize, is that people like me check our entries every time someone votes or comments on them. so... not only do I have all of you people looking at my entry, but then I'm going back and checking on it too. And if your entry is cool looking I normally go back and look at it again, several times. EVERY time its viewed by ANYONE it marks it as a new view on your counter. There aren't 200+ people viewing with 30 some odd votes! It is more like 50 people viewing and the other ones are repeats. I wish we had 200+ people participating... as I'm sure Proc does too Laughing

Not to mention before the contest even opens sometimes I have as many as 20-25 views from constantly updating or just checking to see if I need to update. Or just checking on a different monitor to see how it looks... OR was it you who came and viewed my entry early? Shocked

What PSC needs to do is remove the number of views the artist has to their own entry. And the number of repeat viewers to a single entry.
Once you view an entry, that is your 1 view counted... not the 10 other times you look at it too.

That would take care of plenty of them.

back to this vote thing. Rolling Eyes If you randomize all entries, you'll have even MORE views... Take for example me. I go through the entries on the first day, hand out a few votes for the good ideas off the bat, then I come back the second day and view by the recent tab, so that all of the new entries are first and vote again. If you now randomize it, I'll have to go through all the entries again, because there are going to be some in the middle that are brand new, that I would miss because they aren't at the end. OR I guess I could just thumbnail view to find the newer ones which in my mind is a horrid offense and a whole other topic that has been beaten to death.

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:18 am   Reply with quote         

I think the ADVANTAGE entries should be shuffled.

TheShaman

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:26 am   Reply with quote         

If you randomize or shuffle them, then you'd have to find a new system for breaking ties.

Sarcasm
OH I KNOW!
Lets have the general public have a 1 - 10 rating/voting system to break ties!
Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:03 am   Reply with quote         

My advice is to chop early and post early! Laughing Laughing Laughing If not suffer the consequences! Wink

jerryhami

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:03 am   Reply with quote         

lol@ The Shaman... That is exactly how I vote. You forgot to say if your entry is in the top three you are constantly going back and looking at your competitor's entry not because it is a cool image but becuase you are looking at who and the hell just voted for that peice of crap entry and not yours. Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing

TheShaman

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am   Reply with quote         

Exactly! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

so again like I said

What PSC should do is remove the extra number of views the artist has to their OWN entry.
AND the number of repeat views to a single entry by a single member.

In other words...
Once someone has viewed an entry, that is their 1 view counted... Not the 50 other times they look at it again... for whatever reason Twisted Evil

I have no idea how you'd code this, or if it is even possible.

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:45 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
If you randomize or shuffle them, then you'd have to find a new system for breaking ties.

Sarcasm
OH I KNOW!
Lets have the general public have a 1 - 10 rating/voting system to break ties!
Rolling Eyes

Which entry was uploaded first determines the winner, that won't be affected if you shuffle the entries.. I think.
Rolling Eyes

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Entry Removal Requests - Randomizing contest entries?! wtf! - Reply to topic