Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Highly recommended movie! - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Designed2522

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I know that this should probably go into the movie forum but.... I just went to go see the movie "9" last night and it was awesome. Anyone who is a Tim Burton fan def has to go see this. THIS IS NOT A YOUNG KIDS MOVIE!!!

Oscar

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:44 pm   Reply with quote         

I saw it too... fabulous movie. I give it a solid 9 out of 10

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

I was reading the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes and it looks like the only good things people have to say about the movie is the visuals. It looks like the story got really bad reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1205483_nine/

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

one thing I've learned from reviews: don't rely on them

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:

I would agree with this theory in regards to one or two reviews, but Rotten Tomatoes compiles 100's of reviews and you get an overall idea based on that.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still see it, because I love the character designs I've seen so far, but based on all the reviews, I won't be expecting Pixar quality storytelling. And in that, I mean the quality in terms of keeping the viewers interest. I know it's not a cutesy movie like most Pixar films.

rockyjob

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:

Yeah, they said Hancock was crap, they didn't know if it was drama action or comedy.... Rolling Eyes
I loved it.. Cool

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:18 pm   Reply with quote         

hancock was crap, gotta agree with that Laughing

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:

I have to agree with this as well, did not like that movie!

Designed2522

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:05 pm   Reply with quote         

I am very much into graphics and digital animation, and for that I give this movie a TEN... the story line... well I could have probably been slightly improved but overall I love and envy the creativity of Tim Burton!!! He is the man!!! I can not compare!

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Designed2522 wrote:
love and envy the creativity of Tim Burton!!! He is the man!!! I can not compare!

Call me crazy, but I struggled to get through both of his previous animated productions:

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Everyone gave this great reviews, but I struggled to get through it. I thought the songs were so freaking boring. It has awesome stop-motion animation though and character design was great.

Corpse Bride
Couldn't get into it. Left me not caring about the characters in the story and what happens to them. Again, great animation and I dig the character designs again.

Both times, I started out really enjoying the visuals. The dark moody look and the fluid animation, and the overall look, but then both times the story started to drag and I found myself wanting the movie to end. I think he has a problem with the pacing in his movies.

Now that I think of it, reading the many reviews on Rotten Tomatoes for "9" is like reading my own reviews of his previous animation productions: "Kick ass visuals with a lame ass story."

I like most of his live action movies though. Sleepy Hallow, Sweeney Todd, and Scissorhands.

And yes, Hancock sucked big time. Laughing

Granulated

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Designed2522 wrote:
Grefix wrote:

i thought it was great.

Oscar

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
Designed2522 wrote:
Grefix wrote:

i thought it was great.

yup... good movie. YOU ARE JUST A BUNCH OF HATERS

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Designed2522 wrote:
I love and envy the creativity of Tim Burton!!! He is the man!!!

Creatively speaking, Tim Burton had virtually nothing to do with this movie. It was neither written nor directed by him.
He was simply a producer (1 of 4 producers).
Shane Acker was the creative force behind this film and deserves the credit.
Calling it "Tim Burton's 9" is a misleading marketing tool.

Most people think Nightmare Before Christmas was directed by Tim Burton, but in fact it wasn't (it was Henry Selick).

For this reason, many people thought Coraline was Tim Burton's because it was marketed as,
"from the director of Nightmare Before Christmas".
In reality, Burton was not attached to Coraline in any way.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:07 am   Reply with quote         

Good point BC

The previews look great, it's one of the few movies in a long time that I want to see.

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:49 am   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
Creatively speaking, Tim Burton had virtually nothing to do with this movie.

I could just be speculating here, but I can not imagine a director like Tim Burton (who has a major reputation with anything he is involved with) just sitting on the sidelines, throwing money at it, and not having any creative guidance into the film.

All the films he's been involved with (as director, screenwriter, or producer) seem to follow along the same theme of being dark and creepy.

So yes, the original idea for "9" was from an animated short by Shane Acker; however, reading the wikipedia article on "9", I noticed that the choice to support making it into a feature length film came from Tim Burton.

Quote from Wikipedia:
After seeing the short film, Burton and Timur Bekmambetov showed interest in producing a feature-length adaptation of the film.

I could be wrong and he didn't have a single ounce of creative input.

However, I think it could at least be considered that his producing the film is a way of saying that he "endorses" the film as something he would have been creatively involved with himself. This "endorsement" is why people label any film he's involved with as being a "Tim Burton Movie".

Regarding Coraline. Forgot to list that one. The story was actually one that I liked the most. Not great, but definitely not as bad as Nightmare or Corpse Bride.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Highly recommended movie! - Reply to topic