Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Searchable internal photo library? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

dewking

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm looking to set up a photo library for my work and was wondering if anyone knows of either software or a website that will store/archive photos, allow them to be tagged and searchable, but also kept on an internal server or (if on a website), kept private for only select viewers without requiring people to sign up for an account.

I know Flickr allows photos to be tagged, grouped, searched for, etc... which is exactly what Im looking for though I want them to ONLY be viewable by our employees (without requiring everyone to create an account).

Does this make ANY sense?

Ever hear of something along these lines?

THANKS!!

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
Tarmac

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

I like Smugmug best of all for professional presentation and most flexible / customizable options.

dewking

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah the tough part is that is has to be secure, but also allow employees access to it without requiring each person to sign up or create a login.

I guess Im looking more for something that can be run internally so the images are secure and its easy to have users add photos with tags, etc...

The other problem is, I would need any software that would work internally to not require people to load the software on their machines. At least if possible. Having people install/use new software is a nightmare.

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Picasa from Google.

You keep all the photos on the local server and just tell Picasa to index the network share.

Unfortunately the users will HAVE to install it on their workstations.

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

My sister uses Shutterfly for family pictures that she shares. I'm not sure of all of the specs but I know I don't have to open an account myself, I just enter the password.

nancers 04/05 @ 10:40 pm
I like beefhead. He's such a noob. Guide him someone, please?

nancers 04/06 @ 08:41 pm
Because you don't count beef. JMH decided that when you were a noob.

PooDeFuego 06/23 @ 03:32 pm
BEEF YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!!
dunno

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

You wanna have a network server at hand, running php, mysql and all that stuff.
Then you want to set up your own picture database on that server.
In order to do so you look for ' online photo gallery ' -
and eventually find things like Coppermine or Gallery.

Is that what you were looking for?

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:40 pm   Reply with quote         

dunno wrote:
You wanna have a network server at hand, running php, mysql and all that stuff.
Then you want to set up your own picture database on that server.
In order to do so you look for ' online photo gallery ' -
and eventually find things like Coppermine or Gallery.

Is that what you were looking for?

The big issue is what your network is like and how capable your network admin is (if you have one).

For instance if you have a spare Windows XP Pro that could serve as the holding bin for these image files I could help with an ASP version of what dunno describes. This wouldn't need an extra server and it would probably be less complicated for implementation and administration than Coppermine or Gallery. Downside is that it would likely be less "feature rich" than Coppermine and/or Gallery.

PM me if you want to hear more. Wink

p.s. how many users would be hitting this at one time?

dunno

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:51 pm   Reply with quote         

True words, Tofu.

On a side note: in theory you could turn any free computer in the network into such server through XAMPP / XAMPP light.

PM Tofu if you want to hear more. I never actually did that. Razz

jasper

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:18 pm   Reply with quote         

If you want to run something on an Intranet, look into Gallery3.
http://gallery.menalto.com/gallery_3.0_beta_3_released

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am   Reply with quote         

sounds like gallery will work as well..

http://gallery.menalto.com/

I have one in 3 places... one is set up as members only (where i auth the accounts), one is private, and one is just for me.

free, many many plugins you can use, huge support community. it can also import from web and sites like pisga or however its spelled.

you can make each album public or private, with and without passy.. it is so configurable, i could go on for days about it.. it is the only gallery i mess with.

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Sounds like I'ma have to look at Gallery as well. Could come in handy for work. Cool

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

Argh

Just read this and found that getting Gallery to work on our existing intranet server looks like a major PITA.

I wish the bean counters would let us buy a spare box that I could set up as a Linux box and something like Gallery and then use it for our photos. We currently have 7,349 image folders containing more than 250,000 photos. Many of the photos are duplicated because users run them all over the place. The powers-that-be just won't let me get the hardware. Confused

dunno

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:14 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Argh

Just read this and found that getting Gallery to work on our existing intranet server looks like a major PITA.

I wish the bean counters would let us buy a spare box that I could set up as a Linux box and something like Gallery and then use it for our photos. We currently have 7,349 image folders containing more than 250,000 photos. Many of the photos are duplicated because users run them all over the place. The powers-that-be just won't let me get the hardware. Confused

Whats so bad about Coppermine (instead of Gallery) + XAMPP?

Anyway... keep nagging. All you need is a new comp for how much? 400$, 500$? Make them think...
With all these images in your network (which are problaby used for something, right?) the bookkeepers should estimate the time all the employees spend searching the pics. With such an internal server set up, they could save around half of that time, dont you think?

Which would, minus your hardware expenses, calculate to which saving amount, roundabout?

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:23 pm   Reply with quote         

im with dunno.. bug the shit out of them.

afterall you have already proven your skills with them with the calibrator, so that is a good "i told you so" to use in your battle for the nix..

coppermine.. could not pay me to use it.

gallery2 and 3 is the most awesome gallery ever. you can make it do anything, and its very simple to configure. many plugins, and a great active community to help keep it safe and improving.

the nix box would be well worth their investment.

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:50 pm   Reply with quote         

dunno wrote:
Anyway... keep nagging. All you need is a new comp for how much? 400$, 500$? Make them think...
With all these images in your network (which are problaby used for something, right?) the bookkeepers should estimate the time all the employees spend searching the pics. With such an internal server set up, they could save around half of that time, dont you think?

Which would, minus your hardware expenses, calculate to which saving amount, roundabout?

We'd need a slightly more robust machine than a $400-$500 box. Laughing

Several thousand of these pics are high-resolution shots of luxury homes. Used in print quite a bit. The storage requirements alone would be $400-$500. Wink

And believe me when I say we (IT dept) are ALWAYS trying to get the money-managers (read company owners) to realize the time savings of proper software solutions. But when the economy took a dive, particularly in the housing markets, they got so skiddish they started monitoring the buying of paperclips! Shocked

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Searchable internal photo library? - Reply to topic