Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - PLEASE READ: Open Letter To PSC Community - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Heinlein

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

What about images that are okay to use for personal use, without getting prior permission from the photographer?

For me personally, I always use images that you do not need permission to use except for commercial use.

ReinMan

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
What about images that are okay to use for personal use, without getting prior permission from the photographer?

For me personally, I always use images that you do not need permission to use except for commercial use.

Then you have nothing to worry about. Wink

PEOPLE: This is NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE LEGAL SITUATION, IT IS ABOUT THE MORAL SITUATION HERE AT PhotoshopContest.

IT IS ABOUT YOU TAKING CREDIT FOR WORK THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE CREDIT FOR. THAT's NOT OKAY HERE.

IT IS ABOUT YOU GIVING FAIR CREDIT WHERE FAIR CREDIT IS DUE. IF SOMEONE USES YOUR ART TO LOOK GOOD, WOULD YOU NOT LIKE YOUR DUE CREDIT TO BE NOTED?

IT IS ABOUT FAIRNESS in our CONTESTS HERE AT PSC.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ISSUES ABOUT WHERE A SOURCE BIT CAME FROM, YOU MUST FOLLOW THROUGH COMPLETELY WITH THAT WAY OF THINKING.

There are many members here who do NOT care about all this, but many of you HAVE made an issue of it and now we have to deal with it. Huh..

TJ

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 am   Reply with quote         

I thought you was talking "LEGAL". Doh!

Happy you cleared this up ReinMan.

Laughing

ReinMan

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

TJ wrote:
I thought you was talking "LEGAL". Doh!

Happy you cleared this up ReinMan.

Laughing

There is a Real legal issue on deck here as well. But that is not what is threatening this site at this moment, in my opinion.

The original request/warning stands on both LEGAL and MORAL grounds asking for awareness from all members here.

Cartoon Contractor

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:21 am   Reply with quote         

So, In other words, I can't use TJ's chops!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
But that is not what is threatening this site at this moment, in my opinion.

what's the real threat?

TJ

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:

I grant you permission CC....... Laughing Laughing Laughing

TJ

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:42 am   Reply with quote         

TJ wrote:

Only if you give me the credit! Wink Very Happy

CarlC

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 am   Reply with quote         

A Moral Issue? We have fn pig bung holes, god on the crapper, alice in Wonderland having sex, and the list goes on. Most folks use whatever they want. Rarely are any credits to original artist shown. I am the biggest violator of all time then.
If not a legal issue, then it's not an issue.

If the images we submit are for sale, then this is an issue.

I drifted into a running joke with the JGG, for humor relief, not to steal copyrighted material and claim as my own.

Good Luck with getting permission from anyone, and still have time to post an entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDbKlaWgR3Q

All credits go to Betty Crocker

Cartoon Contractor

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 am   Reply with quote         

TJ wrote:
TJ wrote:

Only if you give me the credit! Wink Very Happy

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!! Just like Marco!!! Got to have Credit!!!
Me! Me! Me!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cartoon Contractor

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 am   Reply with quote         

And why wasn't this posted in the NEWS!!! My God man! Do your JOB!!! Wink

ReinMan

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:32 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
ReinMan wrote:
But that is not what is threatening this site at this moment, in my opinion.

what's the real threat?

Hi BadCop from ReinCop Wink

Good call on that - my words, my bad.

There is NO real threat. PSC will go on and on as long as PROC pays the bills.

Threat was the wrong word here - again, my bad - I'm not trying to imply TERRORIST ACTIVITIES are occouring deep in our Beloved Community. I withdraw the word "threat" from MY comments on this subject. (I will leave it in my post above so that BadCops comment maintains its congruency here.)

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:51 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:

DON'T FORGET KIDS: YOU CAN ALWAYS EMAIL THE OWNER OF THE IMAGE YOU WANT TO USE AND ASK THEM!
My experience is they rarely say "no" (after you explain what a fun and relaxed site this is Wink )

This is very true. Remember this contest? I emailed the photo owner and she graciously said yes to our used providing I tagged the original image with her name prior to the start of the contest (as was done).

Similar thing with the "Painted Ladies" contest a while back.

But I have also, on occasion, ran into some that don't give permission. I found a pic that would have been a fantastic daily source. It was a press release photo of a gold statue that was on display in an upcoming museum show. I emailed the museum and explained what I wanted to use the photo for. They politely replied "No". So I didn't submit or use as a source. Pity too as it was a great object photo.

cafn8d

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:59 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
ReinMan on behalf of the Mod team and Owner wrote:
good stuff

Where's the "like" button? Wink
(Yes, I know this isn't Facebook. Rolling Eyes)

I miss being more active here. I still lurk (nearly) every day. The contests have had many many issues which have developed or become more apparent to me over the years, which is why I have rarely even BROWSED the contest entries in a very long time. These guidelines and set consequences for failing to follow them are definitely a step in the right direction toward resolving some of the issues. Thank you. Very Happy

My personal 2˘ : I have found this obsession that MANY members here have gotten into regarding "pure source work" and "no outside source" and "Only spoon used as outside source" AND THE DESIRE TO LIST AND EXPLAIN their work very soul leeching. (again, MY opinion here) Part of the reason I dislike this route is that we JUST DON'T ENJOY THE CHOP anymore. We are all looking to analyze it and if, heaven forbid, someone doesn't list something properly, jump down the choppers throat - man that is NOT the fun place we old-timers help build years ago. It was about SILLY FUN WHIMSICAL THOUGHT-PROVOKING image manipulation that DIDN'T take a person all day to create. It was FOR OUR OWN AMUSEMENT and our fellow choppers amusement. We "borrowed" images all over the place and no one (inside the site or OUTSIDE the site) gave a rat's ass. Because IT WASN'T SERIOUS.

Now, with this desire to CREDIT THINGS SO PRECISELY, we now face the other side of that coin which is WE NEED TO CREDIT THINGS PRECIELY. Sad

The ARTISTIC "seriousness" on this site is WAY OUT OF HAND, in my books, from what this site was originally intended. Yes, there is still learning going on here, but it is the heavy handed SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS training - a style of training I do not agree with.

And- this site is CURRENTLY the site that we've ALL built. I do miss the old ways, but am doing my best to fit in with the new ways. Which, in my case, is to hardly ever chop... Rolling Eyes but I do my best to help out around here in spite of myself! Wink

Okay - that is my personal bit regarding THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.

I absolutely agree with you again. Before you think I'm contradicting myself, let me clarify, if I may. I used to enjoy the chop for the chop, too, and PSC's carefree fun. But the site has changed. The importance of the VOTE has dramatically increased to the "average" user, and all the effects of increased competitiveness, both good and bad, have set in. Plus the "artistic temperaments" which changes much of the "Oh, I see how I could have done that better; thank you for the suggestions" to "I meant to do it that way; stop dissuading voters with negative comments on my chop" just adds to my own sense of nostalgia for the "good old days." While that bit may be a little off topic, the fact remains that PSC is no longer the carefree place it was my first year or so here. I wish there wasn't need for such guidelines as you now have, but my hope is that they will be a step in the right direction toward curbing so much of that competitive tattle-tale negativity.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Just so we're clear people, this is coming from all of us in moddom. Not just ReinMod.

The gist of it is, if you post your sources, be thorough. Don't leave any out. It looks bad. If you don't want to post your sources, then no big deal.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - PLEASE READ: Open Letter To PSC Community - Reply to topic