Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - PLEASE READ: Open Letter To PSC Community - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ReinMan

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes...
We are NOT SAYING you need to post ANYTHING with your contest entry.

(Some of us wish you WOULDN'T - Rein Wink)

BUT

IF YOU DO GO THAT ROUTE IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE IMPECCABLE, THOROUGH, ACCURATE, etc. in your listing of usage on your post.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Before ReinGuy, TutorMe wrote:
Just so we're clear people, this is coming from all of us in moddom. Not just ReinMod.

The gist of it is, if you post your sources, be thorough. Don't leave any out. It looks bad. If you don't want to post your sources, then no big deal.

Very Happy

anabe

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:37 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Yes...

BUT

IF YOU DO GO THAT ROUTE IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE IMPECCABLE, THOROUGH, ACCURATE, etc. in your listing of usage on your post.

Would that include the source for special brushes, fonts, textures, plug-ins etc?

JORDAN792

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:37 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Heinlein wrote:
What about images that are okay to use for personal use, without getting prior permission from the photographer?

For me personally, I always use images that you do not need permission to use except for commercial use.

Then you have nothing to worry about. Wink

PEOPLE: This is NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE LEGAL SITUATION, IT IS ABOUT THE MORAL SITUATION HERE AT PhotoshopContest.

IT IS ABOUT YOU TAKING CREDIT FOR WORK THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE CREDIT FOR. THAT's NOT OKAY HERE.

IT IS ABOUT YOU GIVING FAIR CREDIT WHERE FAIR CREDIT IS DUE. IF SOMEONE USES YOUR ART TO LOOK GOOD, WOULD YOU NOT LIKE YOUR DUE CREDIT TO BE NOTED?

IT IS ABOUT FAIRNESS in our CONTESTS HERE AT PSC.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ISSUES ABOUT WHERE A SOURCE BIT CAME FROM, YOU MUST FOLLOW THROUGH COMPLETELY WITH THAT WAY OF THINKING.

There are many members here who do NOT care about all this, but many of you HAVE made an issue of it and now we have to deal with it. Huh..

Ok, So as long as we dont take any undeserved credit we can still go about our way... I get a lot of images from google but by the time I'm done with them they are unrecognisable. I dont take credit for my externals, just the finished product. I see where your going with this I think.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm   Reply with quote         

anabe wrote:
ReinMan wrote:
Yes...

BUT

Would that include the source for special brushes, fonts, textures, plug-ins etc?

No. We're only talking about external images.

ReinMan

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:52 pm   Reply with quote         

anabe wrote:
ReinMan wrote:
Yes...

BUT

No. By theory you PAID Adobe to have free use of those items. Wink

JORDAN792 wrote:
Ok, So as long as we dont take any undeserved credit we can still go about our way... I get a lot of images from google but by the time I'm done with them they are unrecognisable. I dont take credit for my externals, just the finished product. I see where your going with this I think.

YAY! thumright

It really is NOT as complex as it is seeming to be.

YOU PLAY THE "LIST MY WORKFLOW and IMAGE USAGE" game, you play it completely.

Everyone here knows that an entered CHOP is the "creation" of the MEMBER POSTING IT, no matter how it was done. That is the CHOP itself.

But if you are going to bring up individuals components of that chop, you'll need to be complete in that disclosure.

seamusoisin

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:48 pm   Reply with quote         

After reading all of the above posts some thoughts entered my mind. This is not to offend anyone in particular but I am sure it will.

Human nature rears its ugly head and again the messenger is being shot. Rein, If you should in the unlikely event pre-decease me I will start the ReinMan for sainthood campaign and personally harass the pope for your canonization.

I always assume that people can read between the lines but again I am wrong. Not only do they not read between the lines THEY DON"T READ THE LINES.

I thought that the mods made a simple request, I asked further info and you answered it, certainly to my satisfaction. Being the mercenary bastard that I am I immediately thought we had been taken to task for an infringement and did not even consider the moral implications of "borrowing" someone’s work. A point that you brought to my attention and for that thanks. My excuse for this is that no one purloins my stuff and I don't know if I am to thrilled about that either.

A further observation basically is that very few on this site make their living with the creative process and are not sensitive as they should be to their ideas being stolen, borrowed or whatever, because it doesn't impact their wallet. Believe me, if it did this would have never come up.

As everywhere there are voices of reason, voices of non-reason and those that are enamoured in hearing themselves talk. (Some what guilty on that one myself)

There are people here of various means, talent who are great members here. They participate honestly and are willing to make every effort to make this the site it can be.

Everything in life grows (PSC included) and does not necessarily grow in the right direction so course alterations are necessary. So basically we have to live with that. It maybe sad that the site isn't what it was but c'est la vie.

I also firmly believe that no member here would willingly steal with the full implications that stealing means (a premeditated action for self gain) and that we may all be guilty of borrowing. Hey if we start to cite sources here it might even become a status thing to have your work massacred by the maniacs that inhabit this site

P.S. St. ReinMan the Patron Saint of Choppers! Nice ring to it .

Thanks for listening to an old fart rant. (not as old as YerPalAL)

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
Oscar

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:57 pm   Reply with quote         

as long as am no making any profit than it's all good

ReinMan

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:

With respect, Oscar, there are more ways to rip off a fellow artist than stealing their "Profit" / $$$.

That's the MORAL part of this thing. For any self respecting artist, specially those who make their living from their creativity, there is a sense of THEFT when one's work is used without permission or credit. AND, equally, a sense of betrayal when a supposed artist claimed credit to something they had no right to claim creative credit on.

I'm old, dude. I've dealt with WAY TOO MANY CREATIVE/ARTIST types in my varied carriers and you'll have a hard time proving my statement in the paragraph above false. It's not a "judgement" call, in my case - it is an "assessment".

And AGAIN: this thread ISN'T SOLELY MY THREAD. It is supported, monitored, and over-seen by my fellow MODs. Between the small bunch of us that do our honest best to look out for this site, we all agree on this. They'll let me know if I speak out of turn for them. REMEMBER, we've been talking and mulling this all over for days now. We wanted to be clear on what we are bringing to the community here. I've done my best to put forward our requests and observations. And any comments in this thread that are solely mine I've done my best to indicate that fact.

seamusoisin

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:

Not sure where or how I said that. I said that there could be a lack of sensitivity compared to someone who was putting food on the table with their art.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
Oscar

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Creative Commons Laughing

Alex

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Can SOMEONE explain to REINMAN how to use CAPITAL LETTERS properly? Because I'm HAVING an EPILEPTIC ATTACK right now.
Raising Brow

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:00 pm   Reply with quote         

A bit on a tangent here - is my avatar (and the contest entry that it came from) considered intellectual property infringement? It doesn't use/borrow pixels from an external copyrighted image, but it obviously depicts a beloved trademarked character (Eddie the Head) in an unbecoming way. Do you expect a cease-and-desist letter from the Iron Maiden management?

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
Can SOMEONE explain to REINMAN how to use CAPITAL LETTERS properly? Because I'm HAVING an EPILEPTIC ATTACK right now.
Raising Brow

your avy is giving me one. Laughing Wink

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm staying outta this one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - PLEASE READ: Open Letter To PSC Community - Reply to topic