Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Animation contest - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Good idea, or not?

Yeah, good idea.

75%

75%

[ 21 ]

No, not a good idea...

25%

25%

[ 7 ]

Total Votes: 28

rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 am   Reply with quote         

Hello there fellow PSCers.

Jordan suggested we have more special contests and maybe an animation contest.
Now, I need your help to brainstorm ideas for how we are going to have this contest, what will the rules be, when we'll be having it, etc...

What do you guys think?

rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey don't just vote people! Give me some ideas too Wink

YerPalAl

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I think its not only a good idea, it could be expended upon, maybe run a special contest a week and alternate between an "Animation Contest", a "Speed Chop", an "All Source" contest, and any other kind of special event that we can think of, maybe "Antique Photo Restoration", "Cut and Pate Only" (to offset the "Source Only" event), and anything else we think of.

Come on PSC community, put your thinking caps on.

JORDAN792

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah! I thought maybe have a whole section for these contests... for the animation one, I would try to work it just as a regular contest but also have a daily contest that day and leave the gif contest open for the whole week? (maybe only one day? who knows.) Also, we could give the source out to advantage early just like the daily contest.

These are just ideas... we need more to make this work.

glennhanna

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:39 pm   Reply with quote         

In regards to an animation contest:

Ok... first of all... the animation must be created in Photoshop, or a gif animator. No use of 3D modeling programs or video editing programs will be allowed.

2: Increase the file limit size. I don't know how big, you guys can come up with a fair limit.

3: prepare to have your brains seeping out your ears, nose, and mouth as you die trying to make these things. Ok, maybe just a headache and sore neck. Laughing Laughing Laughing

L@rue

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:47 pm   Reply with quote         

A gif contest could it be great idea

rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:52 pm   Reply with quote         

good point about making the size bigger Glen.
An idea, only allow entries in GIF format, and animated. Entries which aren't will be removed. Also in addition to Glen's idea, removing non-advantage member's file size restraints for THIS contest.
And for those who voted No, tell us why...
Don't worry we won't form an angry mob at you, that's why I put up the voting thing. If you'd like, please explain, 'cause maybe we'll be able to find solutions for the problems you found.

Oscar

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Great idea! but yeah we need to change the file limit ... some of this .gif files can get pretty big.

512KB is not impossible to deal with and I know we are concerned about bandwidth but maybe bumping it to 1MB would do just fine.

Also, we could host the images somewhere else and just upload the link.

[img][/img] sort of deal

Quote:
Don't worry we won't form an angry mob at you, that's why I put up the voting thing.

*puts off torch*

JORDAN792

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:14 pm   Reply with quote         

yes it should be just gif. animations only...gotta keep it fair. The file size should be slightly bigger than static chops 800-900k maybe. And, me personally, I like the 1280x960 but that's just me.

rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

JORDAN792 wrote:
yes it should be just gif. animations only...gotta keep it fair. The file size should be slightly bigger than static chops 800-900k maybe. And, me personally, I like the 1280x960 but that's just me.

Problem is: with that size animations are going to pass 800-900k most likely. I think the normal GIF size is fine...

JORDAN792

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:
Great idea! but yeah we need to change the file limit ... some of this .gif files can get pretty big.

512KB is not impossible to deal with and I know we are concerned about bandwidth but maybe bumping it to 1MB would do just fine.

Also, we could host the images somewhere else and just upload the link.

[img][/img] sort of deal

Quote:
Don't worry we won't form an angry mob at you, that's why I put up the voting thing.

*puts off torch*

hosting some where else would be great! That way you could make them as big as you want! we could make movies Laughing

glennhanna

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd like to see more team chops, or buddy contests. Once a month there will be a contest that runs like any contest in the most part. The only real difference is that some of the people have agreed to partner up with a fellow PSC member. Your combined PSC score can not add up to over 100 points.

The contest runs as usual, with individuals playing as well, to win the most votes. Any one person can win this contest as with any daily,But the winner of the prize will go to the pair of members that signed up to be teammates before the contest started.

But perhaps having a prize would not be a good idea for this, because it opens the door for possible cheating. For instance, two teammates have lopsided PSC scores, and the person with the higher score illegally creates both images for him and his partner. I would trust the people here wouldn't cheat, so if you got caught doing it, somebody is getting whipped.

rockyjob

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:26 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
I'd like to see more team chops, or buddy contests. Once a month there will be a contest that runs like any contest in the most part. The only real difference is that some of the people have agreed to partner up with a fellow PSC member. Your combined PSC score can not add up to over 100 points.

The contest runs as usual, with individuals playing as well, to win the most votes. Any one person can win this contest as with any daily,But the winner of the prize will go to the pair of members that signed up to be teammates before the contest started.

But perhaps having a prize would not be a good idea for this, because it opens the door for possible cheating. For instance, two teammates have lopsided PSC scores, and the person with the higher score illegally creates both images for him and his partner. I would trust the people here wouldn't cheat, so if you got caught doing it, somebody is getting whipped.

Yeah Glenn those are great fun, and you get meet some interesting people along the way Smile

YerPalAl

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, for God's sake, even if we don't institute an animation contest, PLEASE increase the size allowed for gifs.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:30 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
I'd like to see more team chops, or buddy contests. ............

Glenn's talking about the Team Challenge. Here's the link to this year's... http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12489
I've never seen anyone try to cheat. Believe me, we watch closely too. cyclops

I know lots of you love to make gifs. BUT I don't think it's fair to insist that it's GIF exclusive as that's not fair to everyone who wishes to participate in a daily competition. Further, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the site owner to increase the size for gifs for a side contest.

Side contests can be a lot of fun. Please keep in mind, however, the desires of the entire community.

Perhaps your contest can start with a sign up. Then post an high res image that gifsters can use and give them a date to post it within YOUR thread. They'll host their own gifs. Give them a decent allowed size and length of their gif. Just a few ideas.

What your thread shows is that many newer members are eager to learn how to make gifs. Perhaps enlist the help of BigBuck, Vokaris, L@rue, Abraham, TheShaman and many others who do exceptional gif work and could help others learn.
Very Happy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Animation contest - Reply to topic