Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Buying a digital SLR camera - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ReinMan

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:28 am   Reply with quote         

DaVinci wrote:
I am looking for a SLR since last week...my brother and my dad both bought one (Sony Alpha 330) but I want a Canon 500d or Nikon d5000, so I've spend some hours on internet reading these useless forums...bottomline, no one can tell which one is better, it's a personal taste thingy.

Ok, so I did a search on PSC and I'm glad I found this tread...I prefer the Canon one now! Sonic, Jazpur, Reinman, FootFungas, and anyone else who has Canon EOS 500d (Rebel T1i) experience...is it really really good?!? Tell me plz Very Happy

Howdy DaV,

Welcome to the world of Digital SLRs ! Very Happy It is a GOOD world. Smile

Okay- I'm sure I've said it above somewhere, but my experience is NIKON = PC, CANON = MAC

There is something a bit more "organic" to how my Canon performs over the Nikon's I've used. Both will give you pretty much the same damn file (Just like a file from PC photoshop or MAC photoshop at the end of the day is the same). But the ride will be different to get that file on either the Canon or Nikon. I find the Canon's interface a bit less "techy" and therefore more "artistically" doesn't get in the way as much.

And... if you get a Nikon, you won't really notice any problems either. scratch

*whispers* but get a CANON, because those Nikon People all wear funny clothes! Razz

pollyO

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

I shoot with Canon 20D, 30D and Powershot A530 and SX200 IS.
The SX200 is a kick ass little camera. Got it with me all the time. Takes excellent pictures with 12 mps.
The 20D and 30D are excellent cameras too. I have a wide range of lens that I use. Favorite one is the Canon 75-300mm w/Image Stabilizer.
Another thing you would probably want to get is a High Speed CF card.

These pics were taken with a Canon 30D w/EFS 17-85mm lens. Im not great but I try.

DaVinci

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:38 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
DaVinci wrote:
I am looking for a SLR since last week...my brother and my dad both bought one (Sony Alpha 330) but I want a Canon 500d or Nikon d5000, so I've spend some hours on internet reading these useless forums...bottomline, no one can tell which one is better, it's a personal taste thingy.

Ok, so I did a search on PSC and I'm glad I found this tread...I prefer the Canon one now! Sonic, Jazpur, Reinman, FootFungas, and anyone else who has Canon EOS 500d (Rebel T1i) experience...is it really really good?!? Tell me plz Very Happy

Howdy DaV,

Welcome to the world of Digital SLRs ! Very Happy It is a GOOD world. Smile

Okay- I'm sure I've said it above somewhere, but my experience is NIKON = PC, CANON = MAC

There is something a bit more "organic" to how my Canon performs over the Nikon's I've used. Both will give you pretty much the same damn file (Just like a file from PC photoshop or MAC photoshop at the end of the day is the same). But the ride will be different to get that file on either the Canon or Nikon. I find the Canon's interface a bit less "techy" and therefore more "artistically" doesn't get in the way as much.

And... if you get a Nikon, you won't really notice any problems either. scratch

*whispers* but get a CANON, because those Nikon People all wear funny clothes! Razz

Ha, thanks Reinier! Laughing I read something about this Canon / Nikon rival thing (they even call them Nikonians & Canonians or something) Rolling Eyes

And yeah Canonians said that Nikonians (are there Sonyians too?) are way to serious and can't handle any form of critics on their equipment, etc. But yes, they both are great, in the end it's the photographer who has to take that great shot...
If I get it, I will take some nice photos (maybe for the photowalk)

Cheers!

DaVinci

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41 am   Reply with quote         

Great shots PollyO! Looks like you got some nice camera's! Very Happy I am not familiar with all the type of lenses, but it seems the 18-55mm is kinda standard with all the SLR's...

(Did you post these images at the source photo section? They're awesome to chop!)

ReinMan

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:42 am   Reply with quote         

Nice photos, PollyO Very Happy

DaVinci, I'll say it again: Make sure you save some $$$ for a good zoom lens - the lenses that come with these cameras (both Nikon & Canon) are pretty cheaply made with lots of plastic. You will get BETTER photos if you got (say) a Canon Rebel and a good L-series lens, then going out and getting a 7D or 50D with a stock lens. Something to think about - most beginner photographers forget that the GLASS in front can SAVE YOUR ASS! Wink

Okay - let us know what you end up getting (so we'll know which way to tease you! Twisted Evil

ReinCanonite Angel

Tarmac

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:57 pm   Reply with quote         

DaVinci, how about an Old School SLR. You can put anything you want, in front of the hole! Laughing

cafn8d

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't dismiss Olympus's offerings. Blue Lurker and I love our dSLRs. I have the older E-510. They're lighter and generally less expensive than Canon and Nikon, and the kit lenses are actually pretty highly rated. Plus, the camera has optical image stabilization (sensor shift, NOT some gimmicky digital filter). This means being able to hold your camera at larger f-stops and longer exposures without a tripod, and you do not have to pay extra for Image Stabilized (and super heavy) lenses. I find the interface easy to use, too.

Your best bet is to take a CF card to the camera shops (and places like Best Buy), and ask to try out the floor models. Play with the menus and settings. Take notes. Take photos. (Note your white balance, f-stop, and exposure for each set.) Which camera(s) felt the most intuitive to you? Load the photos on your computer and take a look at quality. Whichever camera you enjoyed the most, and are most likely to take with you and USE... that's the right camera.

Then compare prices online, look at manufacturer sites for rebates, and pay attention to sales held by desperate shops trying to make up for a rather dismal holiday. Good luck!

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Your best bet is to take a CF card to the camera shops (and places like Best Buy), and ask to try out the floor models. Play with the menus and settings. Take notes. Take photos. (Note your white balance, f-stop, and exposure for each set.) Which camera(s) felt the most intuitive to you? Load the photos on your computer and take a look at quality. Whichever camera you enjoyed the most, and are most likely to take with you and USE... that's the right camera.

Then compare prices online, look at manufacturer sites for rebates, and pay attention to sales held by desperate shops trying to make up for a rather dismal holiday. Good luck!

That's a GREAT idea! Thanks caffy! Very Happy

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
hey SCWIDVICIOUS would you care to show us how you modded a lens? i'm interested....

omg I didn see this post sorry..

I will get together a little show all on my pic gallery and show ya later today or so.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 am   Reply with quote         

I'd love a nice SLR but wouldn't wanna carry it with me...my gf broke my P&S the other day. I'm hoping the nikon p7000 will be released at the CES.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

Procyon wrote:
I'd love a nice SLR but wouldn't wanna carry it with me...my gf broke my P&S the other day. I'm hoping the nikon p7000 will be released at the CES.

I recomend getting a nice camera bag, they sure help take the beating off the camera.. 15,000 shots and counting on mine.

the one I have is only big enough for the camera, 2 lenses, extra battery and charger, cleaning supplies. looks like a nice little lunch box. but it really helps protect that awesome camera..

you need to have it with you, and for the camera's sake, but your wife another P&S camera so she wont get ahold of yours Smile

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 am   Reply with quote         

actually this time it's still working out...I'm getting a new one. not sure about next time... Laughing

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:19 am   Reply with quote         

just get that camera bag and put you a nice lock on it... hehe

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:24 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Nice photos, PollyO Very Happy

DaVinci, I'll say it again: Make sure you save some $$$ for a good zoom lens - the lenses that come with these cameras (both Nikon & Canon) are pretty cheaply made with lots of plastic. You will get BETTER photos if you got (say) a Canon Rebel and a good L-series lens, then going out and getting a 7D or 50D with a stock lens. Something to think about - most beginner photographers forget that the GLASS in front can SAVE YOUR ASS! Wink

Okay - let us know what you end up getting (so we'll know which way to tease you! Twisted Evil

ReinCanonite Angel

Yeah you're right, it's all about the lens (they're more expensive than the body)...
But for a start I will try the cheap plastic lens, and after that I will get me a nice one Very Happy
(Remember december is just gone, cost me a fortune!)
The camera for me is gonna be just for fun, so some basic lenses will work (I think)

Thanks for the tips!

DaVinci

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:26 am   Reply with quote         

Tarmac wrote:
DaVinci, how about an Old School SLR. You can put anything you want, in front of the hole!

Ha, these are cool...does this one comes with a light you have to hold up high in your hand and a explosion will follow? Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Buying a digital SLR camera - Reply to topic