Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How start Photoshop in Full screen every time? - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

I prefer to work in full screen mode. I tried saving my workspace but it still opens in a windowed mode. How can I set Photoshop so that when I open a PSD it goes straight to full screen mode? Confused

ReinMan

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Not sure what you mean TofuMan

A) just hit the "F" key once, and you'll be in full-screen mode, as far as the working window goes

B) if you mean the whole GUI fills the whole screen, I will assume you are PC (MAC fits its GUI to the whole screen automatically) ... that I remember from my PC days as being weird, in that PS always opened at the last "minimized" setting for the GUI. What I did was stretch it out as close to full screen manually, and then closed and reopened the app... this set the "almost full screen" setting into the preferences.

C) someone else here will have the answer, I'm sure of it. You'll get your answer, my fine Bean Curd. Wink Patience, it has been said, if a virtue.

Cartoon Contractor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:47 pm   Reply with quote         

I got a question for you Rein Mod Man! I have CS4 and a new Mac computer with a duocore processor and the CPU's are going through the roof with CS4, stalling my tablet and not letting the tools go (stay engaged). Do you have a solution for this? I have plenty of memory and that doesn't seem to be affected. I'm at a loss as to what I can do. HELP!! Confused

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes I'm talking about the same effect from pressing "F" once. I was hoping that I could set that view mode as the default. Confused

Synthvet

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:35 pm   Reply with quote         

nuther thing you can do is get that new 40" monitor.........even if it's not full screen....it'll be BIG!! Very Happy

ReinMan

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Yes I'm talking about the same effect from pressing "F" once. I was hoping that I could set that view mode as the default. Confused

Yeah. It DOES make one sweat to have to push that F-ing "F" key once, doesn't it? Razz Laughing

I thread I just read from GOOGLING this challenge makes a good point: technically the "F" full-screen mode needs an actual IMAGE OPEN to do its thing, so it would be very hard for photoshop to open with that mode "on". Though, one could hope that the first image you opened could be in that mode. I'd say GOOGE MORE... I'm lazy and the Canadian/USA hockey game is about to start. MAY THE MOST CANADIAN TEAM WIN!!!!! Smile Very Happy

ReinMan

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
I got a question for you Rein Mod Man! I have CS4 and a new Mac computer with a duocore processor and the CPU's are going through the roof with CS4, stalling my tablet and not letting the tools go (stay engaged). Do you have a solution for this? I have plenty of memory and that doesn't seem to be affected. I'm at a loss as to what I can do. HELP!! Confused

Howdy. Do a google search for "OPTIMIZE iMAC for PHOTOSHOP USE". You'll want your RAM amount set right in Preferences and some other potential tweaks. There is no reason for you to have Gummed Up-ness happening with a new MAC. I'm assuming you have a "REAL" copy of PS CS4? Pirated versions have been known to be POO. Shocked

Google will be your friend. Exciting things are happening here in Vancouver area (See my post above): I gotta run now!

Good luck!

Martrex

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

In PS under pref go to performance you'll see avail ram and ideal range and also how much PS is set for. Which is adjustable. That's one step.

There was discussion back when, here about scratch disk I think was the term that ReyRey used for space PS can use for processing or something of that sort to make it faster etc.

Hope this info helps!

ReinMan

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Martrex wrote:
In PS under pref go to performance you'll see avail ram and ideal range and also how much PS is set for. Which is adjustable. That's one step.

There was discussion back when, here about scratch disk I think was the term that ReyRey used for space PS can use for processing or something of that sort to make it faster etc.

Hope this info helps!

Yes - depending on what other apps you usually use at the same time as Photoshop, you can crank the RAM up fairly hi - like 90% if you have 4gb or so installed. Again, a google search will yield you some good recommendations for your particular computer setup.

Avoid using any SCRATCH DISK if you can (keeping more RAM available for PS helps in this area a lot)... if you need Scratch disk, that means photoshop has to write back up stuff to your HARD DRIVE which is much slower than using RAM memory.

Turning off any ANIMATIONS and Fancy Schmancy startup programs also helps your computer have more power to run Photoshop.

Ah hell, let me google this for you:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404440.html

http://www.arcurs.com/optimizing-photoshop-cs4-mac-performance-for-digital-photography

http://macperformanceguide.com/

http://braendan.blogspot.com/2009/09/optimize-performance-in-photoshop-cs4.html

reindeer

Micose

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 am   Reply with quote         

i dont get it ... Hmmm

wasky poltuka muffi nadubz lei ka ?
Cartoon Contractor

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Well tried all the suggestions but it still doesn't work! Anyone else have this problem. Could it be a tablet problem? I tried adjusting the sensitivity of the tablet to less sensitive but that doesn't seem to help either. Anyone have a suggestion? Confused

ReinMan

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
Well tried all the suggestions but it still doesn't work! Anyone else have this problem. Could it be a tablet problem? I tried adjusting the sensitivity of the tablet to less sensitive but that doesn't seem to help either. Anyone have a suggestion? Confused

A) do a Disk Utility (search your MAC "disk utility") REPAIR PERMISSIONS. Also hit the DISK VERIFY button. All should come up green and happy - if not, you need to do some work on your drive.

B) bonus trick: Turn OFF your MAC. Hit POWER button and as soon as you hear that HIDEOUS "powerup chime" noise press the SHIFT key and HOLD IT DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE THE LITTLE SPINNING WHATSIT GEAR THING. This starts your MAC up in "safe mode" and it does a lot of drive and system clean up as well. Once that is up and running (it will take longer than normal to boot) try running Photoshop and see how it does. If it runs better, then you know it is something that you've added to your system (plug ins, 3rd party tweakWare, etc.). If all seems good, then RESTART your computer (it will automatically go back to NORMAL reboot, but the in a more cleaned up way). Hopefully it will stay happy after that. So "B" option here is for TWO purposes i) to let the SAFE START do some house cleaning on the system ii) to let you try Photoshop without all the usual extra stuff running on your computer.

Good luck!

P.s. Fess up - you using a REAL VERSION of PS, or from the Seven Seas? (you can PM me this fact - it might matter a lot to your problems)

Cartoon Contractor

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

First off, I'm using a version that is LEGAL! Laughing It has a serial number and everything!

Secondly- I think I found the problem, and it wasn't the computer or the photoshop software. It was the Wacom tablet. I brought my old tablet home from the office and plugged it into my new computer and the problem went away. I checked the differences in the settings and changed the settings on my new tablet to the same settings on the old tablet and it worked fine.

The problem seemed to be the click and double click settings on the pen. The pen was set too sensitive. This would cause the pen to stay active further away from the pen pad. (I think) Anyway it isn't doing what it was doing and my cussing has disappeared also! My blood pressure is back under control and I am actually enjoying choppin again instead of pulling (whats left of) the hair on my head out!
Confused

ReinMan

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

Glad you got it working.
I always keep my wacom pen at least a couple feet (.7 meters) away from the actual pad. Good detective work there - now you can enjoy your MAC like a proper MAC.
reindeer

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How start Photoshop in Full screen every time? - Reply to topic