Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Exporting in Adobe Illustrator - Reply to topic

Maliciously Delicious

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey everyone, I know I haven't posted in a while, been super busy and thats a good thing for now... Here's my question/situation. I have aquired a couple of "Social Networking Icons (Facebook/twitter)" in a Vector format. I import it into AI, and when I click on part of them it highlights everything in blue, is there a way I can only select certain parts of the image? I see that they are all seperated but it highlights more than what I want to export.
My second part of the question is, since I want to use this on my website that I am working on in Photoshop, should I export it in AI as a JPEG? I tried opening it up in photoshop but it wouldn't let me, so I had to go on my other cpu where I have AI. I have a feeling its a basic thing I am missing, I am just not super familar with AI and vector work. Thanks again! Cool

- Alexander Graham Bell
MonkeeDrummer

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Maliciously Delicious wrote:
I import it into AI, and when I click on part of them it highlights everything in blue, is there a way I can only select certain parts of the image? I see that they are all seperated but it highlights more than what I want to export.

Have you tried using the Direct Selection tool (shortcut: A), you should be able to do it that way. Just click on one of the paths and it should only select that one.

My second part of the question is, since I want to use this on my website that I am working on in Photoshop, should I export it in AI as a JPEG?

You should be able to go to the "save for web & devices" option (shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), and select either .jpg, or .gif. Depending on the shape you might want to use .gif to preserve transparency.

Hope that answers your questions! Smile

Maliciously Delicious

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey fellow MD~ Very Happy

Yes the direct selection tool worked out! Thanks!

Now when I go to save for web and devices as a jpeg, it has a white background....hmmm....I'm going to try and import it into photoshop but I wanted to bypass using the lasso tool on the jpeg around the icon.

- Alexander Graham Bell
vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 pm   Reply with quote         

There's a big chance, the AI files you acquired were grouped.
Try right-click --> Ungroup (may have to repeat a few times if you have nested groups) and see if it works

Also check if the graphic has a clipping mask assigned to it, right-click --> Release Clipping Mask

MonkeeDrummer

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Now when I go to save for web and devices as a jpeg, it has a white background....hmmm....I'm going to try and import it into photoshop but I wanted to bypass using the lasso tool on the jpeg around the icon.

You should just be able to save it as a gif file (they're not JUST for animated pics haha) and it won't have the white background anymore.

Maliciously Delicious

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:52 pm   Reply with quote         

I really appreciate your help guys, I think I'm all set! (for now... Laughing ) Do you guys need anything? I can get almost anything online, looking for something specific? Or any other way I can help, minus monetary reimbursement? Question

- Alexander Graham Bell
Dordhs

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi

I have some .ai and .eps files. They are supposed to be vector graphics with transparent backgrounds so the images can be resized. Problem is when I open them up in photoshop cs3, some of the images have a beige background and some are transparent.

if i get adobe illustrator and open the beige background images up, will they have transparent backgrounds?

Can I then save them in psd with illustrator?

Thanks
d

ReyRey

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:19 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
There's a big chance, the AI files you acquired were grouped.
Try right-click --> Ungroup (may have to repeat a few times if you have nested groups) and see if it works

Also check if the graphic has a clipping mask assigned to it, right-click --> Release Clipping Mask

Showoff! Twisted Evil Laughing

mikey

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 am   Reply with quote         

Always listen to an extraterestrial they know their Illustrator!!! Wink Razz

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Exporting in Adobe Illustrator - Reply to topic