Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - psc copyright/use of images q - Reply to topic

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:36 pm   Reply with quote         

where do I find answers (haven't found by myself so far) on copyright of stock...say I want to use an image, that I psc'd on another website...like portfolio type

also, are the 'source' images here considered free and unencumbered stock? I ask because I have several unfinished for contest works (ran outta time), and I may finish in future, if I can say put 'em up someplace like a portfolio AND I have wanted to use some in other pieces, both in and out of psc...

-where do I find answers to q's like these?

JORDAN792

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

wish i could help... I would like to know too Vuvuzela

sorry, had to use the new emoticon... I dont even know what it is.

glennhanna

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I believe PSC makes no claim to owning the work produced as the results of contests... otherwise they'd put a PSC watermark on all the images. I see people showing off their stuff all the time on other sites. I have a PSC portfolio on both Myspace and Facebook for my friends to easily find some of my creations.

When ReyRey found that somebody used one of his contest entries for marketing a company that he never heard of, it was Rey who got a settlement check, not PSC. So I believe that the artist has all rights to his/her work done here.

annajon

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't think it is concidered COOL to use some work that was created here.... people have been up in arms about it, and even logged heads.

I think you should ever only use your OWN work in photoshops, creating new work with old work, and stating that it is recycled work you are using. That would be fair.

Never use somebody elses photoshops in your work and claim them as your own. That is never good.

Knowing fullwell that people can get tricked by the Interweb, I can testify from personal experience that it is easy to miss judge an image online as REAL, while it is a photoshop.

But as soon as people tell you it is, deal with it fairly and without a problem, and nobody will feel any problem with it.

That is what I think of it.

It is alway better to give people credit for what they did.

PS- I put some of my photoshops on dA, because I am proud of that work. But I never re use it in other photoshops............ that is LAZY

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 pm   Reply with quote         

digimagicnb wrote:
where do I find answers (haven't found by myself so far) on copyright of stock...say I want to use an image, that I psc'd on another website...like portfolio type
I didn't know PSC could be used as a verb

Wiz

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
digimagicnb wrote:
I didn't know PSC could be used as a verb

"No reason not to, after all 'Google' has now become a 'Googled' Verb over time!" Laughing

Wiz

Martrex

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:48 pm   Reply with quote         

I ask because I have several unfinished for contest works (ran outta time), and I may finish in future,

Just wait a week or three and the image will turn back up here to be used again so your piece would already be done. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:13 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks Martrex, lol!

Wiz, I agree...and chopped didn't seem right for some reason, but I'm too tired to fathom why currently.

vokaris-I guess I was trying to include the whole of the experience, not just 'the chop' but contest entry, etc.; in my defense, language is malleable (I'm hating the trend to drop 'ly'/ignoring adverbs, as in "He did that terrific" (instead of terrificly) and my aim was to focus on the legalities of the PSC process of sources and products Wink

Thanks annajon...just fyi, I hadn't mean other peoples' ps works but rather the source fotos that were then chopped...I was wondering if I could would post my finished chop up elsewhere, like fb or a blog or dA, and I planned on giving proper credit.
Lastly, as to LAZY, never said I wasn't, Smile but what I meant was using other old source...like, say, the red barn wood on (current) 'Renovation Project' in a future chop. I actually *don't* think it's necessarily more lazy to repurpose that source than to go out and shoot your own (which may be impossible for certain scenes) or finding some stock...I think it adds a layer of reflexivity to reuse PSC in future PSC that is appropriate for digital work. I saw someone do it in the H2H Spring contest and others cheered.

Thanks glenhanna; good point in re: watermarks and about ReyRey's settlement check.

Lastly JORDAN792...I don't know either.
Confused

Thanks everyone!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - psc copyright/use of images q - Reply to topic