Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Creative Suite 5 Questions - Reply to topic

Trann

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:32 am   Reply with quote         

A little background: I've been a proud (read: legal) owner of Photoshop since 2.5LE. My current version is PS 7 however I can't use this version with my new Intel-based Macs. I'm looking to buy right now mainly because, although I've tried my best, I just can't wrangle the GIMP as easily and some things seem counter-intuitive to the way I'm so comfortable with.

I assume Creative Suite 5 is the product name now? In some research I'm finding all these different "collections" of CS -- standard, premium, web premium, etc. -- and something else called CS Extended. It even appears that CS 5 isn't "just" Photoshop anymore but contains InDesign, Bridge, Illustrator (not that I mind this one; I was an Illustrator 88 - V.6 owner as well), and other stuff, too.

Am I to assume there is no way to get just Photoshop anymore? I believe all I really want is the standard set (just to get PS, really).

Anything else I should be aware of before I make this huge leap?

Advice is welcome. Thanks.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

You can still get just Photoshop. It's pricey and impo it's worth springing the extra for the entire suite in case you need on or more of those products as well.

Full:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=2054325

Upgrade:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=2054327

Other retailers abound of course. Smile

pakimo

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am   Reply with quote         

The price for Photoshop CS5 is $1296 for the full version here in Norway. In the US it is $699.

Both english version from the adobe online store. In other words; Same thing - double the price.

Argh Please Argh

Trann

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Actually, I should add that I benefit from Academic pricing: the CS5 suite is going to cost me about $240CDN. Cool

What prevented me from finding PS alone was my searches were limited to academic offers. After some more digging this morning, I found that there doesn't appear to be a means to get the Photoshop app as a stand-alone academic purchase. Only the bundle is available to me.

Hopefully, my iMac with 4GB RAM is up to the task.

Martrex

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Trann wrote:
Actually, I should add that I benefit from Academic pricing: the CS5 suite is going to cost me about $240CDN. Cool

What prevented me from finding PS alone was my searches were limited to academic offers. After some more digging this morning, I found that there doesn't appear to be a means to get the Photoshop app as a stand-alone academic purchase. Only the bundle is available to me.

I would check with the campus book store often they have specific deals for the software. I do that for mine when I need to update. Also if it is cheaper for the Creative suites there are packages with flash and after effects and illustrator that you may someday need, want or Desire!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wiz

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Trann wrote:

4 GIG is ample, as your Mac OS needs only 2 GB of hard disc space for installation.

Universal Requirements:-
1 GB RAM
1,024X786 display with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card. 16 bit colour and 256MB VRAM.
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphic support for shader Model 3.0 and open GL 2.0
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7.6.2 software required multimedia features. Broadband Internet Connection.

Check out these features:-

Refine Edge: Speeds up your Masks & selections in a hurry.
Camera Raw: Images can be more heavily edited than previous
Lens Correction:Auto job makes life easy.
HDR PRO: Great for those surreal effects from single photo
Adobe Repouse: Converts any 2-D into a 3-D object- GREAT!

Seems like CS5 has ironed out all the wrinkles that CS4 suffered from, so it should be a winner, hope you have fun with your new toy! Smile

Wiz

Oscar

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I know this place where you can get photoshop for free...

Let me know if you need a hook up

Trann

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Wiz wrote:
Check out these features:-

Refine Edge: Speeds up your Masks & selections in a hurry.
Camera Raw: Images can be more heavily edited than previous
Lens Correction:Auto job makes life easy.
HDR PRO: Great for those surreal effects from single photo
Adobe Repouse: Converts any 2-D into a 3-D object- GREAT!

Speaking of features, that's another thing I'm contemplating that I haven't done since PS5: buying an authoritative guide on the new product. So much has changed since PS7 that I think it may well be worth it.

Heck, I just discovered Warp last night and it blew my mind. I mean, how can these advert guys be screwing up reflections so badly by just flipping images upside down when there's Warp!? Cool

Anyone have advice on the better book out there (based on your CS2,3,4 experience, perhaps)?

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm   Reply with quote         

I use cs4 on an imac 4 gigs of ram, runs very good.. lol

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:43 am   Reply with quote         

I have a few books no PDF format, CS4 and CS5.
I'll have to check on the size of the files, but if your interested let me know Smile

Trann

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

I appreciate the offer but I've found thumbing through dead trees more productive and easier to read than PDFs. Digital documentation, for me at least, is very straining on the eyes.

Now, if there were a way to create a reading profile of light text on dark backgrounds...

Aside: I've owned CS5 for scarcely a week and I've been asked to help family out with photo restoration already. Amazing how these things fall into your lap. Cool

sonic3

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Trann wrote:
I appreciate the offer but I've found thumbing through dead trees more productive and easier to read than PDFs. Digital documentation, for me at least, is very straining on the eyes.

Now, if there were a way to create a reading profile of light text on dark backgrounds...

Aside: I've owned CS5 for scarcely a week and I've been asked to help family out with photo restoration already. Amazing how these things fall into your lap. Cool

I love restoration work Smile
Its very rewarding to see the final image printed and the look on people's faces when they see 'Great uncle Fred' come back to life.
Smile

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Creative Suite 5 Questions - Reply to topic