Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I won a design award! - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

irishstu

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Procyon wrote:
Can you check the link again? I don't see it on the page? Would love to check it out.

I just checked, Procyon. Seems to be right there.

glennhanna wrote:
Wouldn't disk brakes be better suited for generating energy? I'm not sure what mechanism hybrid cars actually use to turn braking power into stored energy, so I can't visualize how this can work on these clamp style brakes. The rubber pads clamp on the wheel to slow the bike down, and eventually wear down.... so you can't put a conductor on the rubber. So how do you collect the energy?
Would they work when you skid? The tires aren't moving when you skid, so nothing is generating a brake light, so cars behind you don't know you are stopping suddenly and then run you over.

Perhaps it'd be better to collect energy as you pedal, store this energy in a battery, and have brake lights activate whenever the hand brakes are squeezed.

Hey, glennhanna,

Yes you're right - there are some limitations to this design. As soon as the wheel stops rotating (for whatever reason, including skidding), the LEDs will stop lighting up (although it would be possible to stick a capacitor or something in there to give it a few extra seconds). However the main point of this is to make it light up at the very moment of hitting the brake, triggering a response from the car behind. It would, of course, be possible to have a dynamo leaning against the wheel the whole time, collecting energy, etc, but that's not really what this design is about.

...currently experiencing some dysfunctional internal protocol problems.

http://diystrat.blogspot.com/
irishstu

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:22 am   Reply with quote         

Hey all,

I just wanted to pop back in to say thanks for all the votes. I didn't win the popular award, but I appreciate the support and comments nevertheless. As mentioned previously, I had already won a special judges' award, so it's not like I went away empty-handed.

And then yesterday, I found out that I also won a Red Dot design concept award for the same design, so it's all good.

http://www.red-dot.sg/concept/index.htm (the 2010 winners aren't up there yet, but I guess you'll see the BATTLE brakes up there at some stage in the future).

Thanks again, all. Smile

Stu

annajon

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:14 am   Reply with quote         

On lights -

When you have a bicycle with a dynamo on the front wheel, to work the lights, you only have lights on your bike when you are in motion. So, the dangerous thing then with the sudden stop is no lights at all anymore. At least nowadays I have a good light working on a battery on my bicycle, not such a miniature pinlight led that nobody can see, especially in the rain!

It would be a very cool idea to have the entire bicycle light system including the brake lights integrated in a "one system for all types of bike" ones and for all.

annajon

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 am   Reply with quote         

irishstu wrote:
Hey all,

I just wanted to pop back in to say thanks for all the votes. I didn't win the popular award, but I appreciate the support and comments nevertheless. As mentioned previously, I had already won a special judges' award, so it's not like I went away empty-handed.

And then yesterday, I found out that I also won a Red Dot design concept award for the same design, so it's all good.

http://www.red-dot.sg/concept/index.htm (the 2010 winners aren't up there yet, but I guess you'll see the BATTLE brakes up there at some stage in the future).

Thanks again, all. Smile

Stu

Keep up the good work Stu!

irishstu

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:33 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
On lights -

When you have a bicycle with a dynamo on the front wheel, to work the lights, you only have lights on your bike when you are in motion. So, the dangerous thing then with the sudden stop is no lights at all anymore. At least nowadays I have a good light working on a battery on my bicycle, not such a miniature pinlight led that nobody can see, especially in the rain!

It would be a very cool idea to have the entire bicycle light system including the brake lights integrated in a "one system for all types of bike" ones and for all.

Hi annajon. Yes, you're right - once the wheel stops spinning, the light goes out (although there could easily be some sort of capacitor incorporated to keep the light going for a few more seconds), but the point really is to get that initial flash of light when the brakes are first activated, so that the driver behind is subconsciously triggered to react and slow down.

The only way the brake lights wouldn't really do what they are supposed to do is if you pulled the brakes so hard that you skidded to a halt, and, really, that's not a good cycling technique in the first place.

The whole "incorporated into one system" thing you mentioned is an interesting option, and something that's been looked into by others, but it's quite complicated/messy. The idea of this design was that you could just replace your back brake with this - no additional wires, no batteries, no switches, nothing to have to think about, etc.

Oh and by the way, just in case it's not clear, you would still be advised to use a standard rear light in addition to this brake light. This is not a replacement for a rear light, but rather extra protection.

annajon wrote:
Keep up the good work Stu!

Thank you! Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I won a design award! - Reply to topic