Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Just a thought.... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

roger1

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Does anyone else think it would be cool if, when voting on a entry, you could grade it on a scale (like "good", "better", "best")? That way, an entry can receive 0 to 3 points. It seems like it might level the playing field by allowing more accurate judging of the quality of each entry. Just a thought......

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

roger1 wrote:
Does anyone else think it would be cool if, when voting on a entry, you could grade it on a scale (like "good", "better", "best")? That way, an entry can receive 0 to 3 points. It seems like it might level the playing field by allowing more accurate judging of the quality of each entry. Just a thought......
There used to be a 1-10 scale. It got abused by dickheads that would rate great chops a 1. So it went bye-bye.

Tesore

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I had (sort of) the same idea long time ago... they lynched me Confused

Crying or Very sad

Dream_weaver

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

What if the system threw out the lowest vote and threw out the highest vote and got an average of rest of the votes. The majority of votes can't be wrong, unless something is wrong with the community in general.

roger1

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I didn't want to come across as whiny or complaining because I really love this site. It's just the only suggestion that I could come up with to improve it.

I can understand how a scale of 1 to 10 could be abused but a 1-3 scale would diminish the amount of "damage" that someone could do by abusing the voting system. As it is right now, those same people can just not vote at all and REALLY do damage Wink

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm   Reply with quote         

roger1 wrote:
I didn't want to come across as whiny or complaining because I really love this site. It's just the only suggestion that I could come up with to improve it.

I can understand how a scale of 1 to 10 could be abused but a 1-3 scale would diminish the amount of "damage" that someone could do by abusing the voting system. As it is right now, those same people can just not vote at all and REALLY do damage Wink
I don't know about that. Seems damage will always be done by those too juvenile to behave themselves. There are a couple people who would consistently give 1's to a couple other choppers just out of sheer spite.

About the ONLY way I think you could make it work is that you can ONLY rate on the scale if you cast a vote. So if you're voting then what's the point of the rating?

If used to decide ties or placement in the galleries then how do you retroactively score previous chops? Set them all to the average?

Better it's left off imho.

bigbuck

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

roger1

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:04 pm   Reply with quote         

[quote="TofuTheGreat"]
roger1 wrote:

About the ONLY way I think you could make it work is that you can ONLY rate on the scale if you cast a vote. So if you're voting then what's the point of the rating?

That's what I meant. If you wanted to vote for an entry you would have to rate it on a scale of 1 to 3. If you don't want to vote for that entry, well,......simply don't vote for it.

If someone wanted to be a "dickhead", they just don't vote for it. If a "dickhead" wanted to try to sabotage your entry by giving it a score of 1, well,....they're actually doing you a favor (rather than not voting for it at all). Make sense?

I feel it wouldn't allow anyone to sabotage an entry, in fact, it can serve as a way to reward extra effort in an entry. As it is right now, a vote is a vote.

I didn't post this forum to try to change the voting system. I was just curious as to how many other members agree with the concept.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:23 pm   Reply with quote         

roger1 wrote:
That's what I meant. If you wanted to vote for an entry you would have to rate it on a scale of 1 to 3. If you don't want to vote for that entry, well,......simply don't vote for it.

If someone wanted to be a "dickhead", they just don't vote for it. If a "dickhead" wanted to try to sabotage your entry by giving it a score of 1, well,....they're actually doing you a favor (rather than not voting for it at all). Make sense?

I feel it wouldn't allow anyone to sabotage an entry, in fact, it can serve as a way to reward extra effort in an entry. As it is right now, a vote is a vote.

I didn't post this forum to try to change the voting system. I was just curious as to how many other members agree with the concept.

Most other members lived through the lengthened 1-10 rating system and learned to dislike and distrust it.
I take umbrage at your statement "if someone wanted to be a dickhead, they just don't vote for it."
I don't vote for many comps...for many reasons. Usually it has to do with shoddy workmanship, poor composition and/or idea, or for stealing something and presenting it as their own by professing "SOURCE" in their author statement.
Does that make me a "dickhead"? Mad
If you see many "Execution" votes, then you know that you've received a "3" (in your proposed system). However, if you see mostly "Idea" votes, well then....that would be lots of "1s".
Consider your reply wisely, young Roger1.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 pm   Reply with quote         

[qoute]Does that make me a "dickhead"? Mad
If you see many "Execution" votes, then you know that you've received a "3" (in your proposed system). However, if you see mostly "Idea" votes, well then....that would be lots of "1s".
Consider your reply wisely, young Roger1.[/quote]

Eve: I think you're taking my words out of context. I meant that as a reply to the statement that Tofu The Great made (which has now been edited) in which he said that "d**kheads" would use abuse that system by giving people 1 (out of 10) for a vote when they didn't deserve it in order to sabotage their entry. My reply was a direct answer to that statement and in no way implied that people who choose not to vote on an entry are d**kheads. Your voting method is exactly like mine so that must make me one too then, right? Hmmm

Tesore: I see your point Wink Sounds like a sore subject and I feel foolish for even bringing it up, not knowing the history.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:56 pm   Reply with quote         

roger1 wrote:
Eve wrote:
Does that make me a "dickhead"? Mad
Consider your reply wisely, young Roger1.

Eve: I think you're taking my words out of context. I meant that as a reply to the statement that Tofu The Great made (which has now been edited) in which he said that "d**kheads" would use abuse that system by giving people 1 (out of 10) for a vote when they didn't deserve it in order to sabotage their entry. My reply was a direct answer to that statement and in no way implied that people who choose not to vote on an entry are d**kheads. Your voting method is exactly like mine so that must make me one too then, right? Hmmm

Tesore: I see your point Wink Sounds like a sore subject and I feel foolish for even bringing it up, not knowing the history.

I think I understand what Roger is outlining and, to a degree, I agree with it. But it would seem to require that people use the rating system. We're lucky if people leave more than the three dots and not many consistently use the voting qualities feature.

@Eve I don't see where Rog was calling you (or your voting behavior/criteria) dickhead-ish. I think he was referring to the the people who would vote with a low rating on purpose.

Oh, and for the record, I don't recall editing my statements in this thread at all. But if I did then let's not lynch Roger for it. Laughing

roger1

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Oh, and for the record, I don't recall editing my statements in this thread at all. But if I did then let's not lynch Roger for it. Laughing

*oops, sorry. LOL! I read the wrong post of yours. Not edited Embarassed

tpsimer

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 am   Reply with quote         

I have just recently had enough talent to submit entries although I have been a member and watched this site a long time.
Its cool to get votes for an entry but it seems that I get 100 views and 10 votes for some work that (in my opinion) is far better than others who get votes for terrible work.
It seems that the funnier an entry the more votes even if the quality of some chops are far greater.
I have come to the realization that if I get votes from the "best choppers" I am happy. Don't really care about the public or the vote because someone is tying to get recognized. I vote on the quality and the theme. I don't vote for something I do not like just to get noticed.
It seems that the admin could set a rule that after entering so many chops ( lets say 30) and be an advantage member, that member could place a rating vote that would count from one to 3. This would cut out the rif raf and allow the consistent members an opportunity to fairly judge everyones work.
Two things, Photoshop contest would get more advantage members and they would be awarded further voting power because they have already earned the right.

TheShaman

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 am   Reply with quote         

go away for nearly 3 weeks and we're still talking about votes and voting systems...
Rolling Eyes

go figure.

Here's a thought... Let's get rid of voting all together!!!
There are no losers and everyone's a winner!!!
Sarcasm
I blame this crap of teaching children that

Instant gratification. Sorry the real world doesn't work this way.

What ever happened to learning how to lose and figuring out how to win by TRYING HARDER!?!? And if you tried your best and you still lost, that was OK. Cause at least you tried...

Kids these days and their wanting to start at the top. Instead of at the bottom and working their way up the ladder.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

[/rant]

BTW on topic: F the rating system, as tofu and others have pointed out it was abused worse than the red headed step-child.

You want to do well here? Just look at most of the winning entries. They aren't boring. The all have a "wow" or "X" factor. Figure out how to make your entries 'wow' or 'entice' the viewers and you'll do just fine.

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

tpsimer wrote:
I have just recently had enough talent to submit entries although I have been a member and watched this site a long time.
Its cool to get votes for an entry but it seems that I get 100 views and 10 votes for some work that (in my opinion) is far better than others who get votes for terrible work.

You forget some people check their entry after every vote. Sometimes if you update a few times before a contest starts, you'll start said contest with nearly 20 views. PSC should think about discounting 'own views' and only count ones from other members and the public.

tpsimer wrote:

It seems that the funnier an entry the more votes even if the quality of some chops are far greater.

Remember people may not have the same taste in 'art' as you.
Just cause you think something is 'better' doesn't mean I will.

tpsimer wrote:

I have come to the realization that if I get votes from the "best choppers" I am happy. Don't really care about the public or the vote because someone is tying to get recognized. I vote on the quality and the theme. I don't vote for something I do not like just to get noticed.

I vote for things I like. I don't care who you are. If it makes me laugh or go COOL it gets my vote.
Regardless of how 'good' it may be

tpsimer wrote:

It seems that the admin could set a rule that after entering so many chops ( lets say 30) and be an advantage member, that member could place a rating vote that would count from one to 3. This would cut out the rif raf and allow the consistent members an opportunity to fairly judge everyones work.
Two things, Photoshop contest would get more advantage members and they would be awarded further voting power because they have already earned the right.

There is another site that puts weight on votes depending on your participation... Personally I think that sucks.
Everyone gets 25 votes to do with as they please. Vote for what makes you pleased.

Remember kids, art much like anything is subjective. Just because you like it, doesn't mean I will. I love Tequila. Does that mean that everyone should? Life would be very boring if everyone had the exact same opinion. 25 votes is plenty of votes to even out the best from the friendly stuff. But lets be honest, no system would be perfect. Weight voting would be bitched about just as much as friendly/vote whoring is. Hell, I cannot even remember the last time I used all 25 of my votes for a single contest anyway...

And quite frankly who really gives a flip? The only time votes make a lick of difference is in a prize contest. 9/10 those contests are much more fair when it comes to voting. This site used to be about learning and helping other like minded people. It has gotten way too deep into worrying about votes for my taste.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Just a thought.... - Reply to topic