Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - Help me improve this tutorial - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

DaVinci

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:28 am   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
DaVinci wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
Go ahead. Do your own with a hot chick. Nobody is stopping you. Let's see it. Wink

Searching the internet for these hot chicks makes my comp crash somehow Laughing Shocked

Here ya go DaVinci! Here's your HOT CHICK source! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Thanks CC Wink

jasper

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 pm   Reply with quote         

ok - well, It's been sooo long since I did anything remotely glass-ish, I think this was done with PS 5...

if bluefist has the original I sent him, that might help me explain the technique, as I can't recall too well, though, volkaris has the right approach with the blur. Some burn and dodge as well. there was some color inversion as well as playing with channels and filters - but like I said, can't remember ANY details. maybe someone can tell by looking at it.

bogonet

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

He's painting and photoshooting himself. No photo manipulation.
Last 2 images are outstanding.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm   Reply with quote         

More icy/frosty than glass but Nifft did a decent job in the H2H...
http://photoshopcontest.com/tournament/view/3138/display.html

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:29 am   Reply with quote         

Hey Guys...!

Thank you for your help...! I really APPRECIATE...!

To put it back in its context, my university is taking part to the L'Oréal Brandstorm Game 2010...! This year we have to think of a new men cosmetic product range for DIESEL (except perfume as Fuel for life does already exist)...! So I was thinking of trying to do something similar to the "Only the brave" campaign by Diesel (can't post images yet on the forum but if you write in google "Only the brave" you'll get images) Unfortunately, I don't have the skills and techniques yet to realise something like that from sratch on Photoshop...! That's why I asked Rey² for some help...!

Now as I said to Rey² I was thinking of asking the mods if we could organize a special contest in which people taking part would have to design some cosmetic products (packaging, bottle, tube, container) that would fit the DIESEL image (Rebellious, sexual, cool...)...! It would be for me a way to find interesting ideas for the rest of that competition...!

But people taking part would have to keep in mind that they have to be INNOVATIVE...!

I'll send a pm to some mods today to see if it would be possible to organize something like this...! Hope you guys would enjoy to take part to such contest...!Very Happy

Thanks to those who already tried to help me...! Wink

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 am   Reply with quote         

Very good tips, thank you

jcfreak6363

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:09 pm   Reply with quote         

WOW, I can only hope to aspire to this level!

Sh!Za

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am   Reply with quote         

jcfreak6363 wrote:
WOW, I can only hope to aspire to this level!

me 2... i tried this shit so many times, but i never got such a result!!! vokaris and claf u are not normal Very Happy already REY x 2's work is more then good enough for my eyes Razz

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

this is my attempt not really glass...but it might go trhue as ice Confused anyway i call him the melting dude so i like to see it as ice
comments are welcome Very Happy Wink Razz

tpsimer

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:43 pm   Reply with quote         

really cool tut guys.

Tried it, beyond my capabilities right now. Mine looks more like a ghost.

neurotoxic

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

I tried:

to

then to

Marx-Man

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Why glass is hard...

There are three things to consider with glass.

Where the lighting is coming from.
(This will effect where the highlights are places, both primary specular external reflection and secondary specular which occurs internally)
The density of the glass.
(This will effect the internal shading and refractive index)
The scene it is in.
(This will determine the reflected effects)

http://www.creativecrash.com/marketplace/3d-models/c/glass-horse-statue

When making a glass work Photoshop you aren't just making an example out of the front of something,
- Due to the fact that glass is transparent/translucent, you are also manufacturing the refracted shadow on the back of something as it passes through the glass as well.
- Due to the fact Glass that has secularity you will be adjusting the highlighted areas.
- Due to the fact that Glass has reflectivity you will be manufacturing reflection.
- Due to the fact that glass has refractive properties you will be accounting for this with images that pass through the glass, including the shadows on the back of the glass.
For example: Where the density of the glass from front to back dramatically changes it will get darker.

Most glass does not cast as strong a shaded effect on itself as the highlight, however, glass does have a high level of highlight due to a higher specular reflection.

Note: Watch for reflections on the subject.
The reflection on a glass statue is also completely different to that of a mirror because the light which has been is reflected will not show as well in the highlights but will cancel the shading on the glass and show pretty well. Glass has an increasing reflection index the closer it gets perpendicular to the camera, this basically means that as the glass is becoming a right angle to the viewer the reflected properties get stronger.

The shadow of a glass statue on other objects will have surface caustic effects.
This means that as the light is passed through the glass it will lens to intensify the light in one area and decrease levels of light in another, not much light is lost, merely bent.
Don't consider the shadow on glass a shadow but merely a refracted projection. It helps when it comes to paint the shadowing.
Also the shadow may move beyond the boundary of a standard shadow as the antumbra, umbra and penumbra effects for the darkest areas still count.
So really you are painting dozens of smaller shadows within your larger shadow, which is why glass can be a pain in the neck.

--------------

What's wrong with reys image?
(Aside from the noticeable washout effect)

- The character doesn't have any of the scenery reflected on him where the reflection index of glass is it's highest (His arms and the sides of his head).
- The light specular is not coming from the window but rather off to the right.
- The shading is way to dark.
- Reflections do not generally transpose onto the other sides of glass unless it is hollow, in that case you may get internal reflections.
- There is no graduation of shade where the shade gets darker internally.
- The refraction is treated as direct when the glass would be way to thick for it to be direct, it would be like a lense making the room smaller and (if you dare) even flipping it depending on how strong you want the lensing effect to be.
This image of a crystal ball demonstrates the lensing effect quite strongly, as you can see things off camera and the scene is upside down..

In the end, glass is not as standard to paint as it first seems.

Micose

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:43 am   Reply with quote         

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - Help me improve this tutorial - Reply to topic