Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Logo... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Marx-Man

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

B.A. Stands for Bachelor of Arts.
I have a baccalaureate with honours from the University of Hull. It's a level 6 Qualification which signifies that I am not just some guy who does graphics.
The qualification is in Multimedia Design and Animation.
Which spans nearly all aspects of digital media production, from web all the way back to print.

Because of this qualification my name has a suffix "Mark Wright B.A."

Although I can chose whether or not to put the 'B.A.' at the end of my name, other people don't have that luxury on formal documents.

It's larger than my name because it is one of the most important pieces of information, if not the most important.

Most entry level graphics designers have an A-Level, but because of my qualifications I am a class above them.

If I got a level seven qualification (Masters of Art) 'M.A.' it would change and obviously a (Doctorate of Philosophy) 'Ph.d' would also over write it.

Marx-Man

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I only have one problem with your card GZ ....

Aside from the logo being not a logo. Razz

The website is a tad-bit ambiguous.

I would assume it is
dreamersgraphicdesigns.com
as opposed to
graphicdesigns.com

Neither, particularly link to a website.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
I only have one problem with your card GZ ....

Aside from the logo being not a logo. Razz

The website is a tad-bit ambiguous.

I would assume it is
dreamersgraphicdesigns.com
as opposed to
graphicdesigns.com

Neither, particularly link to a website.

It is dreamersgraphicdesigns.com

No idea why it works Marx, but it does.

I'm in the process of having my site redone, with a sister site that people can design and print there own business cards and paper products. Only snag I have is I'm trying to seperate my web name from register.com which is proving to be a hassle. Graphics are my primary income for winter, rest of the year is masonry restoration.

After the site is finished I will atart with marketing for it. Its a slow business plan, I do what I can do with it when I have the money.

Listed DBA for my business is Dreamers Graphic Designs.com and Dreamers Graphic Designs, I bought both.

So 2 companies, 1 for websales, 1 for local.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

And I'm not gonna lie about it Marx, I'm not a pro. I woke up one morning 3 years ago and pulled a graphics business out of my ass. I learn as I go, surprising as its seems, business does generate a nice little profit.

Always been a firm believed in learn as you go, or jump in first and worry about how deep it is later Smile I'd be the first to scream it was luck, but after 3 years of steady business and repeat customers I did something right, no idea what it was. All printed material, no web.

Plus it helps to have a friend that has a masters in marketing for pointers.

Last year Baker college contacted me for the intern program. I had 2 interns that year. Both asked how I marketed to get so many sales. I told them the truth, word of mouth and the rest I have no idea. I don't advertise, and still have no idea how to run a business.

I learned a long time ago, you don't need to be a pro at design to do well in the printed business. Good prices, good contact, meeting deadlines when promised, and product quality seem to seal the deal.

blue_lurker

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:20 pm   Reply with quote         

ground_zero298 wrote:
And I'm not gonna lie about it Marx, I'm not a pro. I woke up one morning 3 years ago and pulled a graphics business out of my ass. I learn as I go, surprising as its seems, business does generate a nice little profit.

Always been a firm believed in learn as you go, or jump in first and worry about how deep it is later Smile I'd be the first to scream it was luck, but after 3 years of steady business and repeat customers I did something right, no idea what it was. All printed material, no web.

Plus it helps to have a friend that has a masters in marketing for pointers.

Last year Baker college contacted me for the intern program. I had 2 interns that year. Both asked how I marketed to get so many sales. I told them the truth, word of mouth and the rest I have no idea. I don't advertise, and still have no idea how to run a business.

I learned a long time ago, you don't need to be a pro at design to do well in the printed business. Good prices, good contact, meeting deadlines when promised, and product quality seem to seal the deal.

I have to agree here I have no qualifications, yet my business pays the bills and well we don't go with out either, new car, boat, kids go to a private school. I only work part time with the graphics now Im back into engineering consultancy...I put it down to listening to the client and not telling him how good I am...rather what I can do with there idea and input.

I guess as G-Zero said dont know why but it works. Wink

supak0ma

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
That's what I was going for ^_^

But seriously the Logo is for my name and like this for a reason, aside from business cards & referencing my site, the actual animated states on my name within the site are going to animate when the flash elements are made.

The gimmick is time-line motion.

Hence the symbol in the Square.

So this logo has been designed with that flexibility in mind.

The colour scheme also depends on the state of motion.

The idea is simple and the implementation is also simplified, eventually it will have gel effects but for now, the fundamental shape and feel needs to be perfected.

Logo designs I intend to be functional as well as aesthetically meaningful and ironically recognisable aren't easy to make.

The default part of the element is Paused.

so you're going to have 4 logos instead of 1? I think this is confusing for the client and in general makes your brand not recognisable, remember what you studied to achieve your B.A.? the first rule of corporate image is consistency. My advice would be to choose one of those and stick with it.

Marx-Man

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:13 pm   Reply with quote         

"The default part of the element is Paused."

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:

Mark Wright: Perpetually On Pause

I mainly just want to comment on your comically oversized use of "B.A".
Either get rid of it altogether or shrink it substantially.
The fact is that the B.A. designation simply doesn't resonate as much these days as it once did.
Because the degree is now so commonplace, it's rarely tacked on to the end of a name.
And when it is included, it's certainly never twice as big as the name itself.
The way you have it displayed is so outside of the norm that few people would even assume it stood for Bachelor of Arts.
As awesome as your 6th level purple belt in graphic design is, "B.A" doesn't communicate these details. You could just as likely have graduated with a degree in dog psychology.

nat_g31

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:

Mark Wright: Perpetually On Pause

I mainly just want to comment on your comically oversized use of "B.A".
Either get rid of it altogether or shrink it substantially.
The fact is that the B.A. designation simply doesn't resonate as much these days as it once did.
Because the degree is now so commonplace, it's rarely tacked on to the end of a name.
And when it is included, it's certainly never twice as big as the name itself.
The way you have it displayed is so outside of the norm that few people would even assume it stood for Bachelor of Arts.
As awesome as your 6th level purple belt in graphic design is, "B.A" doesn't communicate these details. You could just as likely have graduated with a degree in dog psychology.

Exactly. Even though I have one I would never attach it to my name. In fact the only thing I think of when I hear BA is "bare ass". . . Laughing

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:40 am   Reply with quote         

LOL, I think bad ass.

I use to advertise my adobe Ill and PS certifications, then I realized no one gave 2 shits about what I had done. All everyone want to know is, can you make this and what will it cost.

Not sure how it is in other countries, but in the US graphic people are a dime a dozen. Everyone with PS and a computer say they do graphics.

janetdog

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 am   Reply with quote         

BA stands for bad attitude fool...

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 am   Reply with quote         

I have heard B.A. referred to as "bugger all"

To be clear, the term means "not a thing" - it is an old term back when bugger had a nicer connotation.

anfa

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 am   Reply with quote         

It stands for Brown Ale. Wink

supak0ma

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:58 pm   Reply with quote         

ground_zero298 wrote:
LOL, I think bad ass.

I use to advertise my adobe Ill and PS certifications, then I realized no one gave 2 shits about what I had done. All everyone want to know is, can you make this and what will it cost.

Not sure how it is in other countries, but in the US graphic people are a dime a dozen. Everyone with PS and a computer say they do graphics.

hehehe same here, no wait you get 2 dozens here

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Logo... - Reply to topic