Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Developing a web page - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Michel

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 pm   Reply with quote         

1. What do you look for in a photographic web site?
- Photographs, next song.

2. What images do you most like to view?
Eye Catching ones, next song.

3. If an image is not water marked do you feel it is fair game to be right clicked and saved?
All images can be right clicked and saved, even if clicking is disabled the reference to the image link is available in to websites coding so people will nick it anyway.

4. What is a good size to display your images on the site?
72PPI... Any size below the standard monitor size accounting for browser dimensions. This is easy keep 'em coming.

5. Hard one here, but pricing of images, should it be set prices for sizes or a price with relation to the image itself?
Pricing should be set according to the rights licences and printing/mailing costs.
Commercial purposes is different to say... hanging it on a wall in your home (personal use).
Also the size of the print will cost more to produce...
Pretty simple stuff really. Your margins should be ample to cover fuel costs for printing and packaging as well...

6. Software, I know there are a lot of good web development soft ware out there but would like some incites on what you guys have used and what you though?
Development software, Visual Studio... Works with some high end stuff, Lay your website out with DIV tags not tables (It is just that annoying to see a website tabulated instead of laid out properly.

7. Hosting, free would be great but I know that due to the size images I would like to display that may not be possible, any ideas on this issue would be great?

Free hosting with 5mb Storage for pictures...
Weebly, they even do Galleries and Flash files.
Google also host.

mrvman

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi, blue_lurker - don't know if you're still reviewing this thread, but thought I'd cut my teeth on this forum by attempting to answer your questions...

1. What do you look for in a photographic web site?
  • Ease of navigation
  • Simple categorization of photos (i.e.: Fashion, Portraits, Nature)
  • Link to purchase options under each image (if I am selling my work/pieces)

2. What images do you most like to view?
  • Captivating or striking imagery; something that exemplifies the photographer's view of the subject matter
  • The human subject and its relation to it surroundings
  • The female form (no, not pr0n)
  • Nature

3. If an image is not water marked do you feel it is fair game to be right clicked and saved?
  • unless an image is clearly identified as free license for use/manipulation, then no

4. What is a good size to display your images on the site?
  • with the advent of larger screen real estate you may be tempted to present larger images - don't.
  • review the images' sizes and choose a size small enough that will still showcase the subject matter clearly and can be appreciated by the viewer.
  • make them 72ppi resolution - images that you sell can be presented at a higher resolution setting.

5. Hard one here, but pricing of images, should it be set prices for sizes or a price with relation to the image itself?
  • Choose the options you plan to offer in terms of dimensions, resolution, and media (digital download, on disc, on a t-shirt, etc)
  • the content/subject matter may not necessarily factor into the above types of selling options, but it can certainly be considered in when you are pricing each piece being offered.

6. Software, I know there are a lot of good web development soft ware out there but would like some incites on what you guys have used and what you though?
  • Software to develop a site from scratch:
    • Adobe Dreamweaver
    • Microsoft Visual Studio - Web Express version
    • Adobe Contribute
  • Pre-packaged templates like a CMS, WordPress with appropriate "plug-ins" installed
  • hosting services that already have packages that can be set up for you - this frees you to focus on the content of the site, not the creation of the site.

7. Hosting, free would be great but I know that due to the size images I would like to display that may not be possible, any ideas on this issue would be great?
  • with some hosting starting at about $74.00 US per year it may be in beneficial to go with paid hosting - this way only your content (i.e.: no ads, etc) will be displayed on your site/pages. Most hosting offers some form of click-to-install packages like Word Press and such, including some galleries that can be configured to sell - your mileage may vary depending on the host.

8. Any other information you think may be useful would be appreciated.
  • Consider how you will be providing exposure to your new web site:
    • Social media for your site - Facebook; MySpace; Twitter

delia

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 am   Reply with quote         

Here are my photographer friends' websites if you are looking at/comparing photographer's sites.

NO, unmarked images *shouldn't* be considered fair game.
YES, unmarked images *are* fair game.

Watermark everything, and try to make sure you get something (even in low transparency, small in size) over the face, because people WILL steal the images.... You know it!!

http://sugarsixphotography.com/

http://www.slnstudios.com/

http://www.track4va.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Developing a web page - Reply to topic