Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - you guys need to see this - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 pm   Reply with quote         

the202 wrote:
Quick PSC history lesson for those that are curious.

PSC was started on December 13, 2001 by user-id number "1" JMH132 and user-id number "2" DChance. The original idea was more like a college humor site where they crudely (and often hilariously) Photoshopped pictures of each other in compromising or less than flattering scenarios. PSC was born of necessity as they had no good way to share their creations with friends and family. JMH put together a home-brewed web-based database and launched it under the PSC domain.

Many of the early contest source images were of actual PSC members who sacrificed their virtue to be mocked and otherwise digitally mutilated for the humor of other members.

For its time, the entire endeavor was very cutting edge.

Thanks allot i like this lesson . Smile

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I guess the Chop the chopper concept is as close to PSC roots as you can get.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
I guess the Chop the chopper concept is as close to PSC roots as you can get.
Shocked

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I still love PSC, but it has definitely changed alot since I signed on in '03. I think my first win only got 15 or 16 votes....and it was not uncommon for people to get zero votes on occasions. Every daily contest was like the speed chop contests. Everyone was surprised with the daily image at the same time, and the race was on to get an entry done. To be successful you had to be fast as well as skilled...you couldnt expect to spend several hours on a post...if you did, you would be far behind in votes by the time you posted.
Many members did multiple entries per day, and chat never had a dull moment.

I believe this was DChance in this contest...
http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/614/budding-photographer.html?l=all&o=votes

...I'm not sure what happened, but I cant seem to locate the testing area....HELP!

Laughing

the202
Site Moderator

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 am   Reply with quote         

Another notable PSC milestone (which came to memory thanks to Volkswes's comment on this thread) is this entry:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/30937/croc-eye.html

This was a winning entry from a daily contest in 2003. Up until that time, most winning entries were lucky to garner 30-50 votes. Volkswes shattered all existing records for the time by racking up 82 votes which was unheard of for the time. As Wes mentioned there was no advantage during that period and speed was as much of a factor as skill.

During that time the daily image was revealed each morning at 8 a.m. If a PSC user did not have an image submitted by early afternoon/evening - no matter how good - it would likely not land on the front page and ultimately suffer from low exposure and voting.

Although I'm not sure how long Volkswes's record stood, I believe it was for over a year.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 am   Reply with quote         

Pearcinator

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:04 am   Reply with quote         

What's even funnier is that he will always have a higher PSCore than I ever will Laughing

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:11 am   Reply with quote         

Pearcinator wrote:
What's even funnier is that he will always have a higher PSCore than I ever will Laughing

Laughing Laughing

supak0ma

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:40 am   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:

fekkin epic Cool

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
Azionite wrote:

fekkin epic Cool

For the new folks who see this...

Back in the day all contests were anonymous and we could see the comments, but not who the comments were made by. The person who posted the pic would show up as "Author" and anyone else was "Commenter". So, Chicken fighting with himself and everyone knowing it was the "Author", but not knowing who it really was just made it that much funnier.

And since you can't see the pic anymore... He actually took the source pic an re-posted it untouched...

Laughing

Tesore

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:28 am   Reply with quote         

We don't need the button 'Prizes' on the homepage. Make that a PSC History button!

(Blue would say: 'we don't need no stinking prizes!') Laughing

Love those stories!

ReinMan

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 am   Reply with quote         

I THINK the post that finally broke Volkwes's record was YerPalAl's post in Sept of '04.

It was also a brilliant chop in that it used one thing that Alan is very good at: seeing something totally different than what the source really is.

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/59099/car-quarter.html

After that he started going downhill and now makes a living with his photoshop talents. Laughing

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
I THINK the post that finally broke Volkwes's record was YerPalAl's post in Sept of '04.

It was also a brilliant chop in that it used one thing that Alan is very good at: seeing something totally different than what the source really is.

After that he started going downhill and now makes a living with his photoshop talents. Laughing

That was one of the chops that I saw early on that I was just floored by. I couldn't (and still can't) imagine coming up with something like that.

Cool

ReinMan

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:45 am   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
ReinMan wrote:

That was one of the chops that I saw early on that I was just floored by. I couldn't (and still can't) imagine coming up with something like that.

Cool

Alan has a few like that in his portfolio. Wink I've always admired the way his mind works. Cool

blue_lurker

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:29 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Azionite wrote:
ReinMan wrote:

Cool

Alan has a few like that in his portfolio. Wink I've always admired the way his mind works. Cool

Oh come on its the old fart syndrome the brain starts to slowly see things differently due to lack of blood flow and then we just start to drift offfffffffff...huh...what...
"Why you damn kids get the hell offa ma lawn"...."No damn respect, back in ma day we use to live on side of road in shoe box"...."get it all to easy now days"... Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - you guys need to see this - Reply to topic