Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Settle an argument? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

gramps

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I believe it is real. I know how big eagles are and the lighting and shadows look OK to me. As for the tombstones, they look like the standard government furnished items.

But, on the other hand, I'm just an old guy that doesn't know shit.

Surprised)

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:32 pm   Reply with quote         

CarlC wrote:
picture insertion FAIL
You copied the wrong link format. Look for one that has [img] and [url] tags, not <a> and <href>

Code:
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/skeletoncopy.jpg/][IMG]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9765/skeletoncopy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

glennhanna

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:49 pm   Reply with quote         

The photo might look a little funny because of a few of the shadows. I'm only guessing where the sun is. Some shadows seem to fall in the opposite direction. Beats me why someone would have tried to mess with the grave scene without the eagle. If they didn't, maybe they referenced the grave on the left's shadow for the eagle shadow.

I believe Blue took the following photo in which I noticed how shadows appear to go in different directions because of the position of the camera. Take note of the real shadows of the small wood pillars in the foreground where they seem to fall in different directions (ignore the tall black bars along the sidewalk since I added those to try to map out lamp posts to be added to the scene for a commercial project).

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:29 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
Take note of the real shadows of the small wood pillars in the foreground where they seem to fall in different directions
a.k.a. linear perspective (think train tracks)

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

gramps wrote:
I believe it is real. I know how big eagles are and the lighting and shadows look OK to me. As for the tombstones, they look like the standard government furnished items.

But, on the other hand, I'm just an old guy that doesn't know shit.

Surprised)

I'm with gramps, and I do know shit Shocked that's why I avoid it...

Zoeon

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

larger version of the image almost 1mb

jasper

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
How many cemeteries do you go to that have the same font on all the tombstones? I also never see them with what seems to be astro turf.
Also the bottoms of the tombstones are blurred into the grass?

Totally photoshopped, and I know this because it looks like something that I'd end up finished with because I can't get things sharp and clean enough.

yikes! it's not like ordering replacement checks with woodstock from peanuts, sparkly pink unicorns, or hello kitty on them when it comes to uncle sam paying for dead GI's tombstones. EVERYONE will get the same font. They don't get to say, "hey, make mine comic-sans, and instead of a cross, I want dice that read snake eyes. And 5 inches taller please". Secondly, it looks like astro-turf out of respect for the blood these guys spilled for your freedom - it's called, perfectly manicured grass. The blurred areas appear that way because of the morning dew on the grass. as the light plays off of the droplets from myriad direction, the refraction coming back out of the droplets overtakes the shadows cast by the tombstones, as well as obfuscating the darker more pigmented areas.

ps - the photo is completely real if you have ever seen a bald eagle at that distance.

jasper

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 pm   Reply with quote         

i'm just saying. Smile

johndownunder

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:29 pm   Reply with quote         

The authenticity of the photograph can be discussed and appraised i personally feel it is genuine image taken under very unusual lighting conditions.The most important thing to me about the photograph is that meant something to the soldiers family.With my father having served in the military in WW2 and my brother having served in Vietnam i know this story will touch the hearts of many in the military.The photograph to me is a poignant reminder of those who have sacriced their lives in service of their country.Bless each one of them and their families.

JDU

jaw2785

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:17 pm   Reply with quote         

johndownunder wrote:
The authenticity of the photograph can be discussed and appraised i personally feel it is genuine image taken under very unusual lighting conditions.The most important thing to me about the photograph is that meant something to the soldiers family.With my father having served in the military in WW2 and my brother having served in Vietnam i know this story will touch the hearts of many in the military.The photograph to me is a poignant reminder of those who have sacriced their lives in service of their country.Bless each one of them and their families.

JDU

While your sentiment is correct... it's still a mystery and I believe it was indeed photoshoped.
First there is the obvious use of a graduated tobbaco filter in the boxed area. This may lead to the photographer trying to "match the hue of the filter to the eagle.
Secondly, Bald eagles are black and the printing on the markers remains black under the exact same lighting conditions.
Thirdly, in an attempt to lower the contrast (to match the original scene) with the "brightness - Contrast" selector alone does not work out very weel as I tried it myself.
Rather, I beleieve, the photographer lowered the fill. This results in a see through effect where the highlights barely show through... as do the ones right below the wrens wing. The low contrast shadows just barely show and higher contrast shadows showing up remarkably well.
The Marsh Wren on the right is at about 75 % and the one on the left fifty %. In that layer you can plainly see the tree through the bird. Conveniently there is no tree behind the eagle. If you look at the eagle you can actually see the highlights and barely perceptable shadows of the markers. Either that or it's my eyes going bad. I also see no highlight on the eagle's head that would match the highlights on the markers. And as one other poster commented, the shadow at the base of this particular marker isn't as dark.
But for me the main give away is that the eagle is tobbaco colored and Bald Eagles are black, especially when photographed in shadow.
For all of the above reasons, I vote Photoshoped.
Though it is a very pleasing image indeed.
The photographer does claim to have other images of this eagle which, if they exist, would be interesting to see.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:32 am   Reply with quote         

The real question is, "why do eagles like to eat human babies?"

jaw2785

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
The real question is, "why do eagles like to eat human babies?"

Because they're easier to carry off than adults.

Zoeon

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 am   Reply with quote         

the size of the eagle good be right, looking at the size of the stones (markers) at fort snelling.
the only thing puzzles me is the shadow under the marker with the bird on it at the grass?? why is there a shadow and nowhere else.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:08 am   Reply with quote         

bsoholic wrote:

Laughing you can tell by the pixels

http://xkcd.com/331/

Laughing Laughing Laughing

supak0ma

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 am   Reply with quote         

also, the supposed tombstone shadow, why is it not extended by the eagle's shadow? totally fake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Settle an argument? - Reply to topic