Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Monitor Question - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

cringer8

Post Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 pm   Reply with quote         

So I just worked up a nightime entry (my first). I used a dark blue photo filter layer adjustment, a gradation map, and desaturation to achieve the affect. On my monitor it looked pretty damn good, like the hour after dusk. I was pleased.

I posted my entry only to discover that people couldn't see a damn thing. I was floored. It's a JPG and I could see every single detail on my screen; every blade of grass. What gives? Can my monitor really be that off? Now I'm worried about my other entries. Were they just as ridiculously dark? When I adjusted the aforementioned image, it doesn't really look like "night" anymore on my screen. I'm just blindly hoping it looks better on everyone else's.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to make sure that my settings are more "universal?" I might just avoid doing dark chops Huh..

Post Sun May 20, 2012 2:41 pm   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:
So I just worked up a nightime entry (my first). I used a dark blue photo filter layer adjustment, a gradation map, and desaturation to achieve the affect. On my monitor it looked pretty damn good, like the hour after dusk. I was pleased.

I posted my entry only to discover that people couldn't see a damn thing. I was floored. It's a JPG and I could see every single detail on my screen; every blade of grass. What gives? Can my monitor really be that off? Now I'm worried about my other entries. Were they just as ridiculously dark? When I adjusted the aforementioned image, it doesn't really look like "night" anymore on my screen. I'm just blindly hoping it looks better on everyone else's.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to make sure that my settings are more "universal?" I might just avoid doing dark chops Huh..

I'm not really sure about the monitor as sometimes my work looks good on my monitor but then when I go say to an internet cafe, colors etc never look right.

But in regards to your work, first thought is since its a night time shot, why shouldn't it look dark but then when I looked again I noticed 2 guys on roof, (it definitely looks better large} so just a suggesting, maybe you could have the guys with torches so it just adds a little more light and puts more focus on the source(house) hope that makes sense

cringer8

Post Sun May 20, 2012 3:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Mel47 wrote:
cringer8 wrote:

I'm not really sure about the monitor as sometimes my work looks good on my monitor but then when I go say to an internet cafe, colors etc never look right.

But in regards to your work, first thought is since its a night time shot, why shouldn't it look dark but then when I looked again I noticed 2 guys on roof, (it definitely looks better large} so just a suggesting, maybe you could have the guys with torches so it just adds a little more light and puts more focus on the source(house) hope that makes sense

When I read that, I thought, "why would they use torches when they could use a flashlight?" and then I remembered that parts of the world call flashlights "torches." I'm such an idiot Wink Thanks for the tip. I'll give them some flashli.... er, torches Smile

TheShaman

Post Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 pm   Reply with quote         

looks better here on my macbook. on my IBM its still really dark though.
I didn't see the guys or the ladder until the second update and not until I looked on my Mac.

Doh!

night time images are tricky at best. you want them dark, yet you want everyone else to see the picture.
You almost have to cheat. Yes it needs to be dark, but you need really bright areas to make up for that.
making the night atmosphere blue instead of black helps as well.

Post Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
looks better here on my macbook. on my IBM its still really dark though.
I didn't see the guys or the ladder until the second update and not until I looked on my Mac.

Doh!

night time images are tricky at best. you want them dark, yet you want everyone else to see the picture.
You almost have to cheat. Yes it needs to be dark, but you need really bright areas to make up for that.
making the night atmosphere blue instead of black helps as well.

Good tip, Shaman! Hopefully standards will never come to PSC. I'm tired of dealing with them almost all my professional life.
Doug

Post Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl

Post Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am   Reply with quote         

Its not just monitors either, a lot depends on video cards and then there is how does the person looking at your image have their settings modified. (you know, those little lightness and contrast settings on every monitor and computer)

So, no. There IS no way to assure that everyone has the same view, so the above advice is your best. Welcome to the frustration club, it has a lot of members.

Having said that, there are applications to calibrate your monitor, Spyder comes to mind. (its sitting on a shelf right above my work station) but it only calibrates YOUR monitor so it does nothing about other people's computers.

This is why I hate online graphics. Give me print work where if a project comes out poorly you can ask Mr. Printer what the hell happened. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tesore

Post Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

I love my Acer 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor.

@ Work i have the hp-w2558hc-widescreen-flat-panel-monitor.

I have no probs with dark images, except it's dark Wink
I saw the guys on the roof.

Maybe it's time for the 26" scratch
Is there a 28" already?

Post Mon May 21, 2012 1:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Watch it and weep!

90% of my chops are done on this piece of crap...
...but that is not the reason 90% of my chops are crap also Laughing

Trann

Post Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 am   Reply with quote         

Pro Tip: Mac vs. PC Gamma.

Employed Droid

Post Sat May 26, 2012 7:51 am   Reply with quote         

bonjour,

could someone explain how I can start new thread on front page. I am new user here.

thanks

irgum

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:15 am   Reply with quote         

bonjour,
If you mean you would like start a new topic then click on the "post new topic" top of the this page or any others forum topic

I like your avatar Wink

Employed Droid

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 am   Reply with quote         

irgum wrote:
bonjour,
If you mean you would like start a new topic then click on the "post new topic" top of the this page or any others forum topic

I like your avatar Wink

merci, irgum. silly me, it was staring me in the face Laughing

irgum

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

no problem
if you have other questions then you can find in the "faq" http://photoshopcontest.com/faq/help.html bottom of the front page

Employed Droid

Post Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 am   Reply with quote         

thank you

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Monitor Question - Reply to topic