Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - 3D softwares and entries - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Eepi

Post Mon May 28, 2012 3:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Are we allowed to use 3D software to make contest entries?
What's your opinion on it?
I think making an image and using it as an external is OK.
But submitting a rendered image...
If someone spends hours to make a chop and someone else 15 minutes
to chop textures from the source and make a simple 3D model.
My opinion: NO Evil or Very Mad

BTW friday source was nice Smile

Coaster Collection

roger1

Post Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

That's a good question. On one hand, photoshop has the ability to load 3D objects so it is legal. On the other hand, 3D objects can be created in other programs that are a lot more advanced than photoshop (and imported into photoshop) so it can seem unfair. I tend to not vote for entries that rely too heavily on rendered 3D objects but I'm not sure if they should be banned. I like to use 2D photoshop techniques to mimic a 3D effect. I would post a link to one of my recent entries as an example but the contest is still running. Either way, let's just say that the vote count may reflect the idea that people may think that I "cheated" by using a 3D object, when, in reality, I painstakingly used the filter>distort>shperize on a series of PS-created 2D images to create the effect of a 3D object. (or it might just suck - lol)

cringer8

Post Mon May 28, 2012 5:53 pm   Reply with quote         

I use 3D CAD and rendering software every day; it's my job.

Here's my take... in a photoshop contest, it is cheating. It goes directly against the spirit of the chop. Part of creating a good image is tracking down the perfect source images, either through photography or an internet search and then blending the scale, lighting, and color to look natural. Using 3D CAD allows you to simply create the object with the exact scale and lighting needed to suit your needs.

Anything you could do with CAD and rendering can be accomplished through chopping; it just takes more skill to chop it.

I say avoid using it people. You do not want to compete against me should I break down and start using it Wink

TJ

Post Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Times do change and I feel thats why this site has slowed down. Too many folks here are thinking the 'old school chops' including me.
All the new software is awesome to see and work with, but the true chopping skills is from the heart and mind.
Anyone can edit a photo and get votes, but very few can make it art. No software can do that....... yet.

Just my 2 cents.... Confused

TJ

Post Mon May 28, 2012 9:45 pm   Reply with quote         

What I think would be cool is different categories at PSC.

1. 'GIF'= Gifs should have their own category. They are great and fun to see, but shouldn't compete against a still image.
2. 'ALS'= All source chops in their own. It would be fun to see what folks can do with ONLY the source image.
3. 'CAD' = Cad work would be awesome for the people here wanting to move forward with new ideas and a new style.
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

I know, kicking a dead horse again..... but anyone agree?

*running to the cooler now*

drunken Doh!

roger1

Post Mon May 28, 2012 10:39 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree thumright

annajon

Post Tue May 29, 2012 2:34 am   Reply with quote         

using external filters?

irgum

Post Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 am   Reply with quote         

my opinion
we don't need categories
every contest has just some gifs if you made a gif and you are the only one who made it then you win the category it's not fair
and the all source every time gets more votes then others

but we talking about just the CAD
I think they are acceptable if you write in the describe which software used and how
I saw some 3D work before here in PSC and they look cool but I didn't vote them because I prefer the old school chop

Tesore

Post Tue May 29, 2012 5:37 am   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:
Anything you could do with CAD and rendering can be accomplished through chopping; it just takes more skill to chop it.

+ time! Wink

Agree!

sonic3

Post Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am   Reply with quote         

I have often used Photoshops 3D capabilities on some of my entries, but I tend to use a mixture of both.
It may be something that many here do not like, but times do change and evolve.

I don't like completely 3D rendered images, nor do I like other 3D programs, but there is a place for it in today's chopping world.

Oh and Hi from the Gili islands in Indonesia Smile

TheShaman

Post Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 am   Reply with quote         

You want to use 3D software and blend it into photoshop, fine.
IF you go overboard, I will probably only give you a nice comment but not a vote.

...as for Gifs, I tend to agree with the rest of the class. They have a place here, but only a few choppers actually submit them (like myself) so why bother with it's own category. It is one of the few file extensions that are allowed for uploading, so I see nothing wrong with them competing in the "daily" normal contests. What would be cool is having a gif contest day, where everyone needs to make a gif... but on that day, someone would make a static image and win Laughing

All that being said, for a $50 prize contest, I'm not going to vote for a gif no matter how well done it is. Because I really don't feel its fair to the rest who take the time and effort to make a story using one frame instead of making a story using 15-20.

Thats my inflated 2¢

Final Summation:
1) 3D software is OK to use as a supplement/compliment, but not as a final end product.
2) Gifs OK for daily fun contests but not for prize money.
3) Lets have a GIF day.

now everyone STFUAC.
Stepping down from lurkers soap box and blending back into the crowd.

Post Tue May 29, 2012 9:39 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

irgum wrote:

Yeah yeah... never said I'd never vote for 3D software, just that normally I don't.

and my other statement above I said:
Quote:
IF you go overboard, I will probably only give you a nice comment but not a vote.

Notice I didn't say... I WILL NEVER EVER VOTE.... Rolling Eyes

I liked SAS use of the source... I also knew it had no chance of winning the contest.

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

OK I didn't want disprove you Razz
I just remember this entry this is the one of them I wanted vote because looks fine but I didn't because it's a 3D work

sonic3

Post Tue May 29, 2012 10:40 am   Reply with quote         

I have often used Photoshops 3D capabilities on some of my entries, but I tend to use a mixture of both.
It may be something that many here do not like, but times do change and evolve.

I don't like completely 3D rendered images, nor do I like other 3D programs, but there is a place for it in today's chopping world.

Oh and Hi from the Gili islands in Indonesia Smile

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - 3D softwares and entries - Reply to topic