Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

anfa

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 pm   Reply with quote         

if no God why you go to toilet?

Heinlein

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

This site still has potential.

When you search Photoshop contests or competitions, this site is first in the rankings.

Yes, it takes people and participation to make a site like this work.

Kitty made a good point. How much would a site like this cost?

The-Masked-Layer

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Okay. I'm new here, but I'll throw in my two cents. I don't think it would hurt to throw in a conceptual contest here and there. I chopped for a bit Freaking News because I did really get a kick out of working with themes and current events. They also threw in a simple source image contest every now and then to change it up. I liked that. I could see the reverse working here.

I teach a Digital Photography class and we do a chop project every other week. I switch up conceptual objectives with source image objectives. Sometimes they are given a source image, sometimes they can use all externals, sometimes they can only use their own original photographs, and other times it's a combination. It keeps them interested. For one of their assessments last spring, I gave them two source images to combine in whatever way they saw fit. I had never given a test with so much giggling. It was blast.

I would like to see more multiple source image contests. Maybe there are and I haven't noticed yet.

I also have a very limited time to chop. There are a lot of contests here. Maybe too many for this many participants. We might have more participation and higher level of competition if it were scaled back just a bit. I had to ditch a few entries already because I couldn't finish them in time. Now I am simply selecting three or four contests to try for the next month. I pick the ones that jump out the most for me.
I have ideas for every photo but I just can't keep up with it all.

Well, that's my two-cent ramble. Thanks for hearing me out! Wink

kinetic_be

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:

When you search Photoshop contests or competitions, this site is first in the rankings.

If i'm not mistaken, I think there was about 20k $ payed for PSC by it's current owner. I might be wrong, but I remember reading an email from Procc where he gave us the middle finger and laughed about what he got payed. He might have been overreacting too Smile

kinetic_be

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:36 pm   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer wrote:
Okay. I'm new here, but I'll throw in my two cents. I don't think it would hurt to throw in a conceptual contest here and there. I chopped for a bit Freaking News because I did really get a kick out of working with themes and current events. They also threw in a simple source image contest every now and then to change it up. I liked that. I could see the reverse working here.

I teach a Digital Photography class and we do a chop project every other week. I switch up conceptual objectives with source image objectives. Sometimes they are given a source image, sometimes they can use all externals, sometimes they can only use their own original photographs, and other times it's a combination. It keeps them interested. For one of their assessments last spring, I gave them two source images to combine in whatever way they saw fit. I had never given a test with so much giggling. It was blast.

I would like to see more multiple source image contests. Maybe there are and I haven't noticed yet.

I also have a very limited time to chop. There are a lot of contests here. Maybe too many for this many participants. We might have more participation and higher level of competition if it were scaled back just a bit. I had to ditch a few entries already because I couldn't finish them in time. Now I am simply selecting three or four contests to try for the next month. I pick the ones that jump out the most for me.
I have ideas for every photo but I just can't keep up with it all.

Well, that's my two-cent ramble. Thanks for hearing me out! Wink

One contest a day is fine. There's a lot of people who have very busy jobs and limited time, but there's also a lot of people who have seas of time. What I like about advantage is that you can pick the source you want to work with, one month in advance.
At some other sites, there are 2 to 3 contests every day, which works well. I guess it's just depending on the amount of participants.
I definitly agree about conceptual or themed contests. It's really fun to work out your own idea about a theme, not being bound to one given photo to use in your composition. Who knows, maybe one day Smile

TJ

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:14 pm   Reply with quote         

kinetic_be wrote:
Heinlein wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, I think there was about 20k $ payed for PSC by it's current owner. I might be wrong, but I remember reading an email from Procc where he gave us the middle finger and laughed about what he got payed. He might have been overreacting too Smile

$31,500.00........ and the bastard never sent my fifty bucks I won!

Arrow https://flippa.com/122701-photoshopcontest-com-unique-site-over-173k-images-posted-248k-forum-posts

kinetic_be

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked

cringer8

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm   Reply with quote         

You are wrong. The source images are not to blame for lower participation. That is impossible. The concept behind chopping an image does not rely on the source at all. I could put three colored dots on a white background and still photoshop it into something new.

The source does not provide the motivation to chop. The motivation needs to be there first, the rest follows.

If you want this site to become better, focus on what motivates people to spend hours of their free time on an activity and how this site isn't providing it.

TJ

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:
You are wrong. The source images are not to blame for lower participation. That is impossible. The concept behind chopping an image does not rely on the source at all. I could put three colored dots on a white background and still photoshop it into something new.

The source does not provide the motivation to chop. The motivation needs to be there first, the rest follows.

If you want this site to become better, focus on what motivates people to spend hours of their free time on an activity and how this site isn't providing it.

Yup!!! Agree 100%

thumright

The-Masked-Layer

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 pm   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:

Okay. When I vote for next week's source image, I better see three colored dots on a white background. It's go time! Twisted Evil

Werdnaibor

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer wrote:
cringer8 wrote:

Okay. When I vote for next week's source image, I better see three colored dots on a white background. It's go time! Twisted Evil

I bet he can also sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves in the middle of July.

TJ

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
cringer8 wrote:

I bet he can also sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves in the middle of July.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The-Masked-Layer

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
cringer8 wrote:

The town's the fish, and the people are the barrel.

Werdnaibor

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 pm   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
cringer8 wrote:

The town's the fish, and the people are the barrel.

...new guy's in the corner, puking his guts out.

Synthvet

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:25 pm   Reply with quote         

hey, have ANY OF YOU thought about this????

I'm sure this will probably shatter many of your precious hopes and dreams.....

some of you should probably sit down first

but,

There's people that don't participate here anymore because,
THEY HAVE A LIFE AND IT INCLUDES OTHER PEOPLE AND PLACES THAN THIS!!!!!

wow, pretty profound..........huh

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic