Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

TheShaman

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 am   Reply with quote         

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:23 am   Reply with quote         

At least I flog ma own dead horse

Werdnaibor

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:08 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
PotHed wrote:

Participation has clearly been lacking on this site for a while now, and I can't speak for everybody, but for me, based on my experience and my observation, it can be attributed to the image selection.

You don't have to take my word for it, however. If you sift through the contest archives (you may have to manually input the page value into the address bar), you'll see that there was greater participation back when there was a greater diversity of images. That's not to say user images never made it into the mix, but they were chosen by the admins, sparingly without notice. When a user image did come up, it was like a surprise, manna from heaven.

YourTaxesAtWork AKA PotHed
est. 2003

Clearly I did take the time to read your original post. Tell me how you are not building an argument based on a correlation between participation and source image variety. I realize that you're tying it to the user selection of images, but that is weak and you have been challenged to support that theory. All I see is a series of tantrums. Granted it is entertaining, as evidenced by the number of people twisting your ear to hear you squeal.

Clearly you didn't read it if you didn't take from my argument that allowing voting diminishes variety.

He read it. He stated why he disagrees with you. Your argument is very weak. Your argument really depends on advantage members being different and not wanting variety for some reason, which makes no sense. No one gains an advantage based on the sources they vote for. You have terrible analogies that don't work. If anyone ever quit a game because of map choices, they too are pathetic whiners. Just switch lobbies, which would translate to just waiting for the next source. The game show analogy is bad because, again, there's no advantage gained from the type of source. You recently said something about no sources making people think outside of the box. You shouldn't rely on the source to that, you should do that with any image. If you can't, that's your problem. It would actually be a bad source that would force you to think outside of the box.

Werdnaibor

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

shane.e.randall wrote:
I figured out why participation has diminished.... Apparently there is this new drug on the streets called crack and everyone is smoking it all the time.. Leaves no time for Chopping

Shane has been spot on with every post in this thread.

TheShaman

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
At least I flog ma own dead horse

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:11 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:

That's pretty much the only type of post that should be seen in this thread now.

The-Masked-Layer

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
PotHed wrote:

Participation has clearly been lacking on this site for a while now, and I can't speak for everybody, but for me, based on my experience and my observation, it can be attributed to the image selection.

You don't have to take my word for it, however. If you sift through the contest archives (you may have to manually input the page value into the address bar), you'll see that there was greater participation back when there was a greater diversity of images. That's not to say user images never made it into the mix, but they were chosen by the admins, sparingly without notice. When a user image did come up, it was like a surprise, manna from heaven.

est. 2003

Clearly I did take the time to read your original post. Tell me how you are not building an argument based on a correlation between participation and source image variety. I realize that you're tying it to the user selection of images, but that is weak and you have been challenged to support that theory. All I see is a series of tantrums. Granted it is entertaining, as evidenced by the number of people twisting your ear to hear you squeal.

Clearly you didn't read it if you didn't take from my argument that allowing voting diminishes variety.

Are you serious? How did you arrive at that conclusion? I am tempted to use the word "impossible." Could you clearly restate your findings? I may have missed that post. You have been very quick to dismiss any counterargument despite attempts to provide examples and/or data. To quote Monty Python, "An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Contradiction is the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." You're sitting back like you're holding a secret answer. This thread has gone on for far too long. Clearly you are not interested in listening to any opposing viewpoints. Why start the discussion? Finish it. State your hypothesis, provide some evidence, and lock it down with your conclusion. End of thread.

TheShaman

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 am   Reply with quote         

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Doh!

Werdnaibor

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 am   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer wrote:
PotHed wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
PotHed wrote:

est. 2003

Are you serious? How did you arrive at that conclusion? I am tempted to use the word "impossible." Could you clearly restate your findings? I may have missed that post. You have been very quick to dismiss any counterargument despite attempts to provide examples and/or data. To quote Monty Python, "An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Contradiction is the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." You're sitting back like you're holding a secret answer. This thread has gone on for far too long. Clearly you are not interested in listening to any opposing viewpoints. Why start the discussion? Finish it. State your hypothesis, provide some evidence, and lock it down with your conclusion. End of thread.

Feels like this, right? [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcHWeAzoXd4&sns=em[/youtube]

The-Masked-Layer

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

Lol!

rockyjob

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
Listen, things didn't go south by offering Advantage members the chance to vote for sources. It was the 30 days Advantage sources that soured things. Back in the day, before the demise of PSC, we were given 7 images with which to work.

23 additional sources ruint everything! Evil or Very Mad

Pothed, I'm guessing the changes in allowing Adv. members to vote for source images came about when Procyon was the owner. Ppl didn't like the bright white background, format, etc, etc. There were lots of forum threads...lots of differing ideas.

I've exceeded my thread wor

Why can't we have a vote to try this out? For 6 months or a year?

TheShaman

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:15 pm   Reply with quote         

rockyjob wrote:
Eve wrote:
Listen, things didn't go south by offering Advantage members the chance to vote for sources. It was the 30 days Advantage sources that soured things. Back in the day, before the demise of PSC, we were given 7 images with which to work.

23 additional sources ruint everything! Evil or Very Mad

Why can't we have a vote to try this out? For 6 months or a year?

Hell, do it for a month... not like there are that many of us Advantage members actually pre-posting now....

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer wrote:
PotHed wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
PotHed wrote:

est. 2003

Are you serious? How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Read my OP and you'll know how.

The-Masked-Layer

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:59 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:

Read my OP and you'll know how.

There is nothing there but speculation based on your own personal observations. Start a poll and maybe you'll have something.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic