Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Voting Idea - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kinetic_be

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 pm   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:
Here's an idea I had for voting; let me know what you think...

Votes should be weighted based on your PScore. It could be a simple formula to determine the strength of an individual's vote. For example, your PScore divided by 50 (at the time of voting). I understand that this would make decimal places necessary, but I really think it would help things here a lot.

For starters, there would hardly ever be a tie, so your entry time wouldn't be AS important. Secondly, it could possibly increase participation. There are people who don't want to spend the time and effort chopping something only to have it get beat out by friend voting or lower-level choppers either not fully understanding the complexity of the work done or not noticing glaring issues in other chops that should rightfully keep them from placing.

Why should everyone's opinion here be equal? The skill levels are obviously not equal, so I think the voting should follow suit.

Just think for a second before reacting; if you made a movie and showed it to Steven Spielberg and a highschool student taking a film class, wouldn't you weigh their opinions differently?

I sure as hell would Smile

I suggested this a few years ago. I think it has been suggested a few times by now. I like the idea, but it's up to the boss to change things and as it is right now, i doubt any changes will be made.
Weighted votes make a huge change to the voting system if it's pscore-based. Even beginners at PSC can get a high pscore in a few weeks. I do believe it will bring more justice to the system. Art might be objective, but lately, ps-skills are not that much important anymore to win a contest as it used to be.

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing
So with the new system, one vote from ReyRey would win me any contest.

Sweet!! Heeeeyyy Reeeyyyy...
I got some beer and naughty magazines for youuuu...
Cool

TheShaman

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:40 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
because people who don't get votes think ART IS SUBJECTIVE!
Laughing Twisted Evil

Laughing
This coming from someone who's not getting 'any'

and I'm not talking about 'votes' Twisted Evil

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:46 pm   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:

You are confused, Sean.

The definition of "what is art?" is subjective. The work itself can easily be judged for quality and it is all of the time. The VALUE of the critique lies in the skill and knowledge of the judge.

Voting for something says you like it, and that's fine. Your opinion is valid. It's the WEIGHT of that opinion I'm talking about. Not everyone's opinion is equal... In anything in life. There are more educated and skilled people who's opinions are sought after in their respective fields. That's reality.

Nope, I completely get your concept.

I already value a Gort/Claf/Anfa/ReyHey vote more than say a noob.

I just don't believe that they should have absolute power over the system though.
Equal votes for each member. Maybe just not as many.
If you only had 5 votes to pass out, I bet you'd use them more wisely than say 25 in a 20 entry contest...

Besides as it's now been discussed yet again...
You'd actually have to have an owner who gave a shit about us other than the bottom line. Like JMH used to...
So unless we're all prepared to go on strike and not enter contests anymore until current management wakes up...
I doubt your 'idea' will ever come to fruition. Much like PotHed's or anyone else's for that matter...

Here's another idea that will never fly.
How bout not allowing those who are in the contest to actually vote.
Allow only those members of the site who can view each entry objectively without having a stake in the contest determine who they like by voting...
That way you won't be tempted not to vote for a good entry just because it may beat yours...

Until then... I'll just keep voting for what I deem 'best' and hope that (like most times) the cream rises to the top.

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:02 pm   Reply with quote         

If you have a high PScore and you are in a contest, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by voting.

shane.e.randall

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:06 pm   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Believe it or not, I have brought other people to this site and they are on the verge of quitting because their entries are overlooked by the friends and "follow-alongs" here, while lower quality images are making the top five. It can get frustrating very quickly and I understand where they are coming from. The only thing keeping them going is that they get votes from skilled choppers. It just doesn't make a difference in the standings.... currently.

By the way favoritism and buddy voting has always been here. If your buds are on the verge of quitting let them quit. There are people here who have been here forever and never won anything. Yet they contibute to the site. If the only thing here is to win, time to shut the whole thing down. Change the voting system and do you really think participation will increase I willing to bet not one more person will join and if they don't like the voting system because they don't win, really that's tough. I've been here for a long time and hardly won anything, yet I am still here because I enjoy doing this.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
shane.e.randall

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
If you have a high PScore and you are in a contest, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by voting.

Valid point... and it came from Anfa

I think we should get a pompous Englishman, an overzealous washed up pop star, and a past his prime producer to judge all the entries. Anfa you should volunteer to be the pompous Englishman/ Simon Cowell replacement. We could make this site just like american idol, and then all the kids will think photoshop is cool, and participation will increase. We will all get famous and have the paparazzi following us all around. Then in the future we can get all strung out on drugs and start a show called life behind the chopper, and it wont be about motorcycles either.

shane.e.randall

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:29 pm   Reply with quote         

In all serious though I agree they should change something around here, I think the lack of participation is not due to one thing, but due to this place being a little stagnant. Nothing changes, so it think its normal for people to get a little bored. The only time you see real participation is during tournaments and stuff. If I was in charge/owned this site I think I would want to increase the traffic. Its kind of like most businesses as soon as you quit competing and get too content you start to go out of business. Oh well no sweat off my back, I just come here for the free coffee.

anfa

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:30 pm   Reply with quote         

shane.e.randall wrote:
anfa wrote:

Valid point... and it came from Anfa

I think we should get a pompous Englishman, an overzealous washed up pop star, and a past his prime producer to judge all the entries. Anfa you should volunteer to be the pompous Englishman/ Simon Cowell replacement. We could make this site just like american idol, and then all the kids will think photoshop is cool, and participation will increase. We will all get famous and have the paparazzi following us all around. Then in the future we can get all strung out on drugs and start a show called life behind the chopper, and it wont be about motorcycles either.

Do I have to wear really high trousers like Cowell?

I really hate that twat. Not because he's a git on TV but because he is killing music by producing an endless line of shitty teeny pop robots!

shane.e.randall

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Do I have to wear really high trousers like Cowell?

You have to wear the silly trousers or its a no go.... sorry.

TheShaman

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Can I be the washed up pop star?!? Please

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Can I be the washed up pop star?!? Please

Nobody could fit the role any better.

Tesore

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

We need sunglasses...

Laughing

seamusoisin

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:

Ah come on Anfa stop putting logic in the way of an idea.

You can also get rid of that Cowell ahole anytime and you can replace him, not that I would watch that crap, but maybe you could get us guys some hot chicks. Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Voting Idea - Reply to topic