Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - "Save for Web" - Reply to topic

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 am   Reply with quote         

Fortunately UntExp explained to me the other day about "Save for Web" I usually just saved as jpeg and entered image. Thanks UntExp Wink

Today aman mentioned since I was advantage member why wasn't I saving my image at a higher kb ...

My question is - when I "Save for Web" some images won't go up to 500 kb-some will only go to 100 kb or so. I change the quality to High or Max and I might get couple more kb but never much more. Is this due to the image itself when it is uploaded for contests? I mean if the person submitting image, if its only 100kb when they submit it, can I then edit it and get higher kb? I have been trying and cannot get it higher on some. Thanks Wink

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

~Sierranne~ wrote:
Fortunately UntExp explained to me the other day about "Save for Web" I usually just saved as jpeg and entered image. Thanks UntExp Wink

Today aman mentioned since I was advantage member why wasn't I saving my image at a higher kb ...

My question is - when I "Save for Web" some images won't go up to 500 kb-some will only go to 100 kb or so. I change the quality to High or Max and I might get couple more kb but never much more. Is this due to the image itself when it is uploaded for contests? I mean if the person submitting image, if its only 100kb when they submit it, can I then edit it and get higher kb? I have been trying and cannot get it higher on some. Thanks Wink

Which version of photoshop are you using?

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

I am using CS6 Smile Thanks

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am   Reply with quote         

OK found where I could make it better, it was open and obvious why I didn't see it Laughing Laughing Shocked

when I go to file, then save for web the window comes up and there are four tabs at top of window

Original, Optimized, 2 up and 4 up, DUH if I choose optimized I get lot more kb ...k I answered my question Laughing Laughing Laughing

nope just tried it...If I take that image to Optimized it only goes to 195 kb if its at Original it goes to 3.52 M and cannot change it...

so I took Daenerys advice just now, telling me try just "Save As" like I did before, just did it and yep I increased it to over 300 kb that's as high as it would go but doubled it!

So morale of this story is, try saving both ways, "Save As" or "Save for Web" and see which is higher before submitting...Got it!

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:50 am   Reply with quote         

Basiclly, when you use save for web you get more options to controll the size of the image. When you save normally in jpeg format you get a scale of 1-12 to control quality\size. In save for web when you save as jpeg (you can also save as gif and png) you get a scale of 1-100 and you can see the end image and size before you complete the save. If you get it all the way too 100 you get the maximum quality and largest size.

I don't have CS6 but I assume it hasn't changed that much from CS5.... Anyway, in CS5 you can see the finall image size at the bottom left corner of the dialog box, it should change when you change the quality scale.

I'm at work right now so I can't post screen shots, hope this helps.... Smile

UntExp

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:49 am   Reply with quote         

~Sierranne~ wrote:

So morale of this story is, try saving both ways, "Save As" or "Save for Web" and see which is higher before submitting...Got it!

easy way:

Write 512 in "desired file size" so every time your file size will be optimizate as close as possible to 512kb

nevet

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:18 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks UntExp, didn't know that trick Smile

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 am   Reply with quote         

Duh that's where I went wrong, the little arrow at top right is different with my PS CS6 just a little but it does have the arrow at top right which I didn't do....

Thanks everyone problem solved Smile

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Unt! I didn't know this either! thumright

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - "Save for Web" - Reply to topic