Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - contests - winner by votes?! - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

contest winners selected by skill vs votes?

skills!!

23%

23%

[ 3 ]

Votes!!

61%

61%

[ 8 ]

same

15%

15%

[ 2 ]

Total Votes: 13

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:30 am   Reply with quote         

Hi,
I am new to this site and i am trying to figure out how this works. I entered a contest and used some time to finish my image. After adding my entry to the contest i find out that the winner is only selected by amount of votes..How serious can it be?

I added my work when it was about 20 hours left of the contest ( little house in the forest). This made me the last entry with basically no chance of winning..I don't want to put my work over any one else on this site,..not at all, but if you like photoshop, adding a plate of fruit to the head of a minion is not enough to win any photoshop contest...not in my world at least.. Any other opinions ( not minions please) on this? It would be better if it was a jury actually looking over the entries artwork and then judging who the winner should be? I basically could fake 20 accounts and win every contest with the existing voting system, right?

frilansdesigner

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Read through the Help/FAQ section for more information. Also see "Advantage"

- a new contest starts every day.
- each contest is open for 3 days
- a contest is won by a number of votes by other PSC members
- voting starts when the contest opens

For "Advantage" (paid) members
- source images are available 30 days in advance
- contest entries can be worked on in advance and pre-posted
- voting on pre-posted entries starts "immediately"

For non-advantage members:
- the source image is available after the contest opens
- work on contest entry and post
- by the time you post an entry, other entries may have accumulated a significant amount of votes

The number of votes is usually a factor of skill, execution, humor, etc. AND exposure. If an entry is posted shortly before a contest ends, it will not get enough views and/or votes.

A "non-advantage" entry has more chance to succeed if worked on quickly and posted shortly after the contest is open.

For a more 'fair' approach, try SpeedChop contests, where both Advantage and Non-Advantage members see the source image when the contest opens (no pre-posts)

Luxwiz

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Well I´ve been a member here for about 10 years now and I´m still asking myself that very question Laughing ...anyhow welcome to PSC and imo the main thing here is to have fun while developing your PS skills .If you take things too seriously you will probably not last long here.The voting system has a lot to be desired but as in any democracy with a one person one vote,you can please some of the people some of the times but never all the people all of the time.If you want to see the source images and enter prior to the contest opening you will have to go advantage.For a small fee a year you get just that, a certain advantage over normal registered members.As for the alias problem,they are usually very easily found out and eliminated by our diligent team of mods.Anyhow give it a go,get to know some of the nice people here and as I mentioned before have fun while developing your photoshop skills Smile

papavales

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:44 pm   Reply with quote         

first you used already manipulated images like the winning entry. So your work is as skillfull as the winner's(just a copy-pasting), but your fruits looks stretched and the other 3 extrnals flat. If you made youself this (manipulated external) that you used then you should complain. But again it's not very well done, so you used some other's average work

http://wallpaperbackgrounds.com/wallpaper/24537

By the way worth1000 has the best voting system

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 pm   Reply with quote         

papavales..i appreciate you taking the time to brows the net for my source images..It is a photo montage and i did use images from sites such as photobucket..you are correct. I asume there are a lot of others doing that as well? Do you expect everyone to buy an expensive camera,run out for hours to take their own photos before they enter the competition?? Really? In that case I have other things to do for 50 USD. I was not at all looking down on any of the nice people in this forum..looks like you take care of that all by yourself Sad Thanx for the feedback I guess?

I still think that a voting system makes no sense what so ever since the winning image got under 20 votes..basically you could hack the whole competition by faking profiles and i think the owners and the ones that receive the payment from you all paying clients, should put some more effort into the system.
Thats it basically...no need to get your claws out dude.

cheers and good luck to all Smile

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:28 pm   Reply with quote         

one more thing to Mr Papavales...I could send you all the images of the mushroom, background, little santa dude,..oranges and the ladder and you could determine how much i really copied anyone. What you are saying is not correct. I transformed the images into the composition you see..Did you do it any better maybe? Let me have a look Wink I rest my case.

papavales

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok you totaly didn't understood what i said. Everyone uses photos from the net. The photos you used wasn't just a photoshot(for example the sourse image of the contest is a photoshot), your external images was already manipulated(tuned-edited-drawn) by someone else, i hope you get it this time.
About my work i did a really crap work just for fun as a speed chop purpose, but it has some technique which your knowledge doesn't allow you to spot(hint. only the egg is external), thats ok.
About hacking the site and prizes you could try and fail. I had won a prize contest like lot of people here and we are just registered users.
You should slow down a bit, and learn stuff because that's what this site offers best, money prize is a bonus. Forget the money, there are a lot of cool people here to hang out and learn our favourite program. And if you won a prize that is even better Wink
And prize contest is one per week not everyday

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 pm   Reply with quote         

frilansdesigner wrote:
Hi,
I am new to this site and i am trying to figure out how this works. I entered a contest and used some time to finish my image. After adding my entry to the contest i find out that the winner is only selected by amount of votes..How serious can it be?

I added my work when it was about 20 hours left of the contest ( little house in the forest). This made me the last entry with basically no chance of winning..I don't want to put my work over any one else on this site,..not at all, but if you like photoshop, adding a plate of fruit to the head of a minion is not enough to win any photoshop contest...not in my world at least.. Any other opinions ( not minions please) on this? It would be better if it was a jury actually looking over the entries artwork and then judging who the winner should be? I basically could fake 20 accounts and win every contest with the existing voting system, right?

frilansdesigner

shane.e.randall

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Your Grandma does not get to choose who has the highest skill level in PS.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y[/youtube]

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm   Reply with quote         

So three women apply for a job at a lawyers office.
One of the women is a rocket scientist who is down on her luck.
Another of the women is a prize-winning novelist who specializes in ancient Chinese philosophy.
The other woman is a PhD and also a retired Olympic Triathlon gold metal winner.

Which one gets the job at the lawyers office?

(Anfa: You already know the answer to this one. Wink )

Yes - you are correct. The one with the biggest hooters.

(Dude: time to grow up - life is NOT fair. Just sayin' )

reindeer

Tarmac

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

Look. I haven’t been around here as long as some of these other bums, but from my experience its all about IDEAS. Not necessarily how many hours of hard work one decides to put into their chop, or one's skills at photoshop, but its the idea you create to base your manipulation on that matters most.

Sure, you may be a wiz at chopping, but it means nothing if your initial idea sucks. Basically to attract the most attention, an idea should communicate some type of story or message. Humor, Shock, Horror, Awe … the basics. After that, its all about your execution. Using one's best photoshop skills to execute the manipulation idea as flawlessly as one can with the talents you possess.

Remember to just put one's head down, forget about votes, and try to chop something out everyday, regardless. Votes will follow.

ShootHerman

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:24 am   Reply with quote         

I bet this dog eat votes for dessert frilansdesigner.... Laughing Laughing
Just keep on chopping and you will learn a lot about this site. The people in here and how it works.
Chop, chop, chop and chop again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9e-3h-OO8[/youtube]

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:53 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:

Laughing

anfa

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 am   Reply with quote         

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - contests - winner by votes?! - Reply to topic