Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Second place five in a row... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Luxwiz

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:43 am   Reply with quote         

photoshopmaster jr wrote:
Luxwiz & shane, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Hmmm

Senzotaku IS NOT SAYING HE WON AFTER MAKING 88 CHOPS,
BUT HE WON A CONTEST THAT 88 MEMBERS PARTICIPATED...
Rolling Eyes

LOL by bad... then the proper thing is to have said "my first win and it was against 88 contestants" I figured he meant first win after 88 of his entries ...thatīs what happens when you donīt read the fine print Laughing

<senzotaku>

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:07 am   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
Well you beat me there.It took me 150 chops before I got my first win... Sad you never really loose till you stop trying Laughing

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/145355/midget-juggler.html

Nice one! it was my 49th or 50th entry, I did two that contest. Smile

vicspa

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 am   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:
Getting same number of votes and loosing because the other guy entered first sucks big time,...Who the f*^@ came up with that concept.

And what might your better method be? The last person to submit their chop takes the win?

Not every chop is the same, giving one vote for a great chop, and giving one vote for a mediocre chop is not right, so the method should be a vote on a scale from 1-10, like all other sites have, this is a far better and fairer way to cast a vote. Don't you think?

vicspa

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

So I great chop may get an 8 or 9 while a more mediocre chop may get a 5 or 6, (less chance of ties and first insert wins BS). But it's been this way for many many years, and I'm just pissing against the wind.

vicspa

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:04 am   Reply with quote         

I'm gonna stop here since my shoes are getting wet. Laughing

Luxwiz

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:09 am   Reply with quote         

vicspa wrote:
I'm gonna stop here since my shoes are getting wet. Laughing
at PSC you need a raincoat Laughing

vicspa

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

and rubber boots. Rolling Eyes

supak0ma

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

vicspa wrote:
mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:
Getting same number of votes and loosing because the other guy entered first sucks big time,...Who the f*^@ came up with that concept.

And what might your better method be? The last person to submit their chop takes the win?

Not every chop is the same, giving one vote for a great chop, and giving one vote for a mediocre chop is not right, so the method should be a vote on a scale from 1-10, like all other sites have, this is a far better and fairer way to cast a vote. Don't you think?

vicspa wrote:
So I great chop may get an 8 or 9 while a more mediocre chop may get a 5 or 6, (less chance of ties and first insert wins BS). But it's been this way for many many years, and I'm just pissing against the wind.

hey!

vicspa

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey! is right, so consider the alternative.

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

vicspa wrote:
mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:

In theory, sure, that would be a better system. In reality, everybody has their own idea of how the 1-10 scale works so the balance would be really thrown off.

You'd have self-employed chop connoisseurs sniffing and studying each chop before generously granting one a hard-to-get SIX out of ten (oooh, ahhh).

Then you'd have Skippy on the other end of the spectrum giving everything TEN OUT OF TEN SO AMAZING!!1!

And over here we have little Timmy, giving only the chops that made him laugh a good score (even if the actual chop quality sucks) while passing over other less-funny chops, even if they deserve to be hanging in the Louvre.

Then we have Linda, leaving super-positive comments about how good a chop is, but then giving it only a one out of ten because they're too dumb to notice or understand how to vote properly.

And so on.

The "I like this chop for [REASON] so I'm giving it my vote/I don't like this chop for [REASON] so I'll withhold my vote" system is better.

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:53 pm   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:
mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:

In theory, sure, that would be a better system. In reality, everybody has their own idea of how the 1-10 scale works so the balance would be really thrown off.

You'd have self-employed chop connoisseurs sniffing and studying each chop before generously granting one a hard-to-get SIX out of ten (oooh, ahhh).

Then you'd have Skippy on the other end of the spectrum giving everything TEN OUT OF TEN SO AMAZING!!1!

And over here we have little Timmy, giving only the chops that made him laugh a good score (even if the actual chop quality sucks) while passing over other less-funny chops, even if they deserve to be hanging in the Louvre.

Then we have Linda, leaving super-positive comments about how good a chop is, but then giving it only a one out of ten because they're too dumb to notice or understand how to vote properly.

And so on.

The "I like this chop for [REASON] so I'm giving it my vote/I don't like this chop for [REASON] so I'll withhold my vote" system is better.

there is a solution for all these problems Wink

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
there is a solution for all these problems Wink

Other than banning people from voting for chops entirely or making the voting system even more complicated, neither of which are good solutions, I can't think of any that would work. Do tell!

Oh. Oooooohh...

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 pm   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:
mason4300 wrote:
vicspa wrote:

And so on.

However as well as the 1 to 10 scale the memberīs PSCore would be used to give more weight= value to the votes of the choppers who know WTFīs going on photochoppinī wise... Worth 1000 worked in a similar way and imo was a much " fairer" voting system,meaning more often than not the "better" photshopped image won.PSC was founded more on having a good time with friends basis and gave less importance to the technique/execution aspects of competing.Thus many times,especially in the early years funny shitty chopped entries,or simply done,creative idea chops (old school) would beat out well executed boring entries,and it still happens.So the voting system flaws in that respect have never been adjusted and never will be,fact of life.This is a good place to learn that itīs not whether you win or loose that counts but rather what is important is that you chill out, have a good time,not take things too seriously and be creative with others that share your interest in image manipulation,even if deep down you always think your chop is the best and you keep getting beat by a crappier chop,and it constantly pisses you off Laughing

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with you 100% about what PSC is supposed to be all about, and that's another reason why I think the current voting system is perfectly fine as-is.

I wouldn't be too keen on the weighted votes, as popularity voting was already a large problem back when PSC was active. Giving older, closer members' votes more power over the newer, unknown newbies sounds like the perfect recipe to dissuade new people from continuing to chop once they notice the friendly voting going on between old-timers and realize that their votes count for more than their own votes.

The only way to really counter that would be to make all the contests anonymous, which I support. PMs could still be exchanged to let your buddy know which one to vote for but I highly doubt that would be a regular occurrence. Most people just see a name of someone they like and drop them a vote, but they aren't going to go to all the trouble of trying to find out which one is their friend's chop just to give them a vote.

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

<senzotaku> wrote:
Damn, I became second five in a row, with only one or two votes difference, by Luxwiz four times and vicspa one time, some very bad luck I guess, is it a record? Where can I drop of my wild card? Laughing

Ok senzo I think I will respond honestly here now... how many entries have you voted for in those 5 comps you are complaining about... zero maybe.Yup just checked.... ZERO.And not just those comps but pretty well every comp you have entered in quite a while,you have never voted for anyone.Wasnīt there at least one entry in those comps that you thought was worth a vote ! I mean there must be at least one entry. ŋ No ? Whatīs your problem with voting? No time to value otherīs work?Are you just too good for everyone else? Hell with that attitude itīs amazing you get the votes you do,and all those seconds you complain about.Ok thatīs enough of saying what I think... Btw congratz on the maze,you won and the octopus earring is pretty cool,so thatīs maybe another win,there you go,happy now Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Second place five in a row... - Reply to topic