Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Do we wanna save this place psc.com? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Tarmac

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:52 pm   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
have to disagree...and disagree...and sadly agree again Sad

I joined PSC after Splodge and that was over 6 yeas ago. Still had some good time here...for a man of my age...

My favorite coffee bar hasn't changed in over 40 years - i like it just like that. So no problem with inactivity...it matches my interests (character and abilities)

Agree with tombstone part - would be nice to really own software you pay for.
PS is more name than need.

Previous bug gif done in open source

That affinity designer sounds yummy tho...would like to hear your opinion MrTarmac if you find the time to spare for it.

Sadly, I don't have as much experience with Affinity Designer, as I do with Affinity Photo so I can't give you a valid head to head comparison with Adobe Illustrator. However, I noticed this fellow's post in the Affinity forum this morning, and will post it here for you to consider.

"Posted Yesterday, 07:09 PM
I just bought Affinity Designer yesterday.
First of all, great job! I've been working in vector art for over a decade and I'm impressed with your innovation.

The good:
Your pen tools are far superior to anything else I have used thus far.
Awesome set of shape tools - the most comprehensive so far. The visual controls to alter them save me a lot of time ie. rounded corners on the fly.
Nice touch with the transparency tool - this was so frustrating in Adobe Illustrator.
The customizable UI is sleek and intuitive
The bad:
Where is the line smoothing? Every vector illustration software I've ever used had this feature. It is standard workflow to 1)rough in your illustration, 2)smooth, then 3)hand edit the node handles. I found something promising in the node area called 'convert to smooth', but it actually added more nodes. This is the exact opposite of what smoothing should do!
Where is the raster to vector trace equivalent? I looked everywhere and I can't figure this out. This is such a common function for artists working between mediums - you're basically excluding them right from he start. For reference check out Adobe Illustrator's powerful image trace palette.
Restrain proportions/dimensions when resizing elements is not consistent. Placed images and text will stay proportional by holding down ALT. Everything else stays proportional while holding down shift. Why the inconsistency?
I can't seem to figure out how to lock objects without having to go to the layer palette and doing it manually.
Thanks for the hard work! I've been in software development for 12 years. I know the sacrifices made and wish you the best of luck.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Tarmac - much appreciated!
Do not mind much about trace options, but solid pen tool (or selection equivalent) I found absolutely necessary for illustration. Better yet, Illustrator (like) options seems to be second benefit of the software...for 50 bucks...as one time deal, without subscription...
No gif option (as I heard) as a downside maybe, but all in all it does look professional.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Do we wanna save this place psc.com? - Reply to topic