Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Chopped vs Manipulation - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Lynnette0807

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Hello psc,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right spot. I recently noticed that I add a lot of pieces from multiple images from Pixabay to the original source to create the pictures I made in the contests. The way I am understanding is that's more of a manipulation.
I've seen others just take the source, cut it apart and create a different image without outside source. How should the artist use the source or does it matter either way? Thank you for your advice and I'm looking forward to learning more photoshop.

Lynnette0807

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Lynnette0807 wrote:
Hello psc,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right spot. I recently noticed that I add a lot of pieces from multiple images from Pixabay to the original source to create the pictures I made in the contests. The way I am understanding is that's more of a manipulation.
I've seen others just take the source, cut it apart and create a different image without outside source. How should the artist use the source or does it matter either way? Thank you for your advice and I'm looking forward to learning more photoshop.

Lynnette0807

Either way is fine, using only the source may get you more votes if done well that's why people write source only in their chops.

vicspa

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:31 pm   Reply with quote         

It's more of a challenge to come up with something different utilizing only the source given.

Lynnette0807

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you for the information Vicspa!

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 am   Reply with quote         

IN MY OPINION, USING SOME EXTERNAL SOURCES CAN HELP TO BRING BETTER OR MORE CREATIVE IDEAS.
"ALL SOURCE" CHOPS CAN BE HARDER CHALLENGES, BUT VERY OFTEN I CONSIDER THOSE CHOPS BORING.

AND THERE'S NO NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO VOTES... THERE'S ANYWAY NOT SO MUCH VOTES THESE DAYS! Laughing

ENJOY!!!

Lynnette0807

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank You Photoshopmaster jr for your advice. I love a good challenge but I'm still learning Photoshop so I agree it's more managable for me to use external sources until I improve. It's disappointing with few or no votes but I'm new, older:-), and don't let it get to me, I will just keep trying. Thanks again Lynnette0807

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm   Reply with quote         

If you have an idea that can use the source only then it makes sense to use the source only. If your idea needs externals then you have no choice but to use them, also remember you can use the source only and PS tools to make/draw any extras. Looking through the archives I think the best chops are an out of the box idea with a mixture of both source and well chosen externals, after that it's all about the execution. If you are using multiple externals then provide a link to show people how you they looked originally before you manipulated them.

Lynnette0807

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank You Muggins for the advice. I will make sure I add links to the comment section. I do use a lot of external sources but I use Photoshop tools as well. The Riverside contest will be the first one I created without anything but the source and PS tools only. Lynnette0807

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 am   Reply with quote         

Lynnette0807 wrote:
Hello psc,

Lynnette0807

Having a lot of fun while you learn is the best way. . . . sometimes there's enough just in the source to make something new but more than likely, using an outside source can really be the key to creating a good chop.

As for me, I don't give away my sources because finding them is sometimes as hard as the chop itself. . . . it's also fun (for me at least). Giving away your sources kinda' kills the magic of a really good chop.

Keep chopping and keep being creative. . . the more you create, the more skills you'll acquire! (I've only been chopping since Photoshop 1.4)

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:17 am   Reply with quote         

Actually, for someone new to the game you are doing quite well. Just enjoy yourself and ask questions. As you can tell you will always get answers, some of them even helpful. Wink

If you have not already looked, there are some good tutorials here as well.

Lynnette0807

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you blackfox for your response. I genuinely try to have a positive attitude with all I associate with. I am very happy working with photo manipulations. I stumbled upon this site looking for tutorials to improve techniques. Everyone has been kind, even some who show a bit of grumpiness to others. I look forward to learning more from all of the experienced artists.

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you YerPalAl for your compliment. I am a year or so new, but I enjoy art & photoshop very much. I did a tutorial by Reinman, using the pen tool for masking. It was great and makes my chops easier now.
I will definitely look at more and happy they are available for help.

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:51 pm   Reply with quote         

It all depends on the source, if you need an external or not. Mostly of my chops are with externals, but not all.
One important thing, is dont forget the source. If you take out an object of the source and place it in an external, dont make the object from the source smaller. Make it bigger. Dont let the source object drown/disapear in the external when you use an external. Let the source image be in focus. When voters look at your chop, they want to see the source in a new environment. A good chop is a good idea combined to good execution.

Thats my IMO Wink for this thread.

Keep on, you got some cool ideas.Smile

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you ShootHerman! I greatly appreciate your advice. I can think of some pretty good ideas but could use a lot of help to execute. The visual idea in my head never comes out the same as my finished composite.

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

All source or tons of outside sources... I don't care how you got there. As long as it isn't a quick cut and paste with a cool background you found. I'm with JR. a lot of times the all source is boring.

I vote for what gets my attention. Good story, beautiful visual, straight up funny, well blended 'chop', good ideas etc.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Chopped vs Manipulation - Reply to topic