Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - The Ol' PSC - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tarmac

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:48 pm   Reply with quote         

I consider PSC my hometown. I’m sorry its suffering atm. Small towns do that you know.

Hell, I was born right here at PSC. An eager wet behind the ears plebe chopper, wanting to know how this craft works. After learning all I could here, and having tons of laughs, I took flight to explore the rest of the internet world with the skills PSC gave me. I love my hometown.

Today, because of PSC, I am fortunate enough to work with people all over the world, using these skills acquired here. PSC and those I used to know here, are heroes. I miss them too Luis. Thank you, for that great poem.

I'll try to hang out here more.

Luxwiz

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 am   Reply with quote         

Tarmac wrote:
I consider PSC my hometown. I’m sorry its suffering atm. Small towns do that you know.

Hell, I was born right here at PSC. An eager wet behind the ears plebe chopper, wanting to know how this craft works. After learning all I could here, and having tons of laughs, I took flight to explore the rest of the internet world with the skills PSC gave me. I love my hometown.

Today, because of PSC, I am fortunate enough to work with people all over the world, using these skills acquired here. PSC and those I used to know here, are heroes. I miss them too Luis. Thank you, for that great poem.

I'll try to hang out here more.
thumright Hug

kinetic_be

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:00 pm   Reply with quote         

You'll never get the old PSC back, no matter what you do. And that's ok. Time changes and so do people. That doesn't mean this website can't have any glory anymore. I think it can if it were attracting new members more frequently. I'm one of the old guys (if you can call it that way) but not one of the oldest guys in terms of membership. I started chopping when PSC was running at it's best with 50 entries and more each day. That was around 2007-2008 and before that, this site had already a lot of big shots posting here every day. I came here for one reason: To learn Photoshop. I think most of you people ended up here for the exact same reason. There is still a ton of people learning Photoshop but somehow this site isn't attracting them anymore like it used to. So why? Some people say that the community here died because people got older, got involved with work, hobbies or family, but I don't believe that. Sure, some will go away for various reasons, but people come and go.

A few years ago, Worth1000 got merged with another company, which caused a big part of the community to fall apart. We grouped together on platforms such as Google+, desperate to seek out eachother, but found out that we missed something which caused those groups to fall apart aswell. What we missed was competition. We could talk all day long about Photoshop and show off our private works, but without a fair competition and a 'judge' to rate it, there was no thrill in it. I would have expected this website to grow as members were looking for new contest-based websites, but that didn't happen because for most of them, PSC wasn't appealing enough.

For people like me, who love to fall back into old habits, this website feels like coming home every now and then. I stay a bit, grow tired of it and let it be… to come back again after a while.. It's been like that for more than 10 years. But new people, don't feel home here. They don't 'feel' the community or realise all the things that's been going on here. They see a flat, old website that doesn't belong in the year 2019. They see medio-core Chops that don't trigger them to compete with. (no offense)
The site lacks some very important features that worked 10 years ago, but are totally outdated by now. To name anything: my smartphone has got a far bigger resolution than the images we work with at PSC and I don't own a high-end device Smile
You know what I mean..

I think pimping this website would be the first step to take. Make it appealing to a new generation without dishing the existing community.

Btw, nice poem!

monopoid

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 pm   Reply with quote         

kinetic_be wrote:
You'll never get the old PSC back, no matter what you do. And that's ok. Time changes and so do people. That doesn't mean this website can't have any glory anymore. I think it can if it were attracting new members more frequently. I'm one of the old guys (if you can call it that way) but not one of the oldest guys in terms of membership. I started chopping when PSC was running at it's best with 50 entries and more each day. That was around 2007-2008 and before that, this site had already a lot of big shots posting here every day. I came here for one reason: To learn Photoshop. I think most of you people ended up here for the exact same reason. There is still a ton of people learning Photoshop but somehow this site isn't attracting them anymore like it used to. So why? Some people say that the community here died because people got older, got involved with work, hobbies or family, but I don't believe that. Sure, some will go away for various reasons, but people come and go.

A few years ago, Worth1000 got merged with another company, which caused a big part of the community to fall apart. We grouped together on platforms such as Google+, desperate to seek out eachother, but found out that we missed something which caused those groups to fall apart aswell. What we missed was competition. We could talk all day long about Photoshop and show off our private works, but without a fair competition and a 'judge' to rate it, there was no thrill in it. I would have expected this website to grow as members were looking for new contest-based websites, but that didn't happen because for most of them, PSC wasn't appealing enough.

For people like me, who love to fall back into old habits, this website feels like coming home every now and then. I stay a bit, grow tired of it and let it be… to come back again after a while.. It's been like that for more than 10 years. But new people, don't feel home here. They don't 'feel' the community or realise all the things that's been going on here. They see a flat, old website that doesn't belong in the year 2019. They see medio-core Chops that don't trigger them to compete with. (no offense)
The site lacks some very important features that worked 10 years ago, but are totally outdated by now. To name anything: my smartphone has got a far bigger resolution than the images we work with at PSC and I don't own a high-end device Smile
You know what I mean..

I think pimping this website would be the first step to take. Make it appealing to a new generation without dishing the existing community.

Btw, nice poem!

That's about it.
It's 10 years since I first chopped my perry here and it was always a big part of my online life. My kids never got it..though I tried to make choppers of them..
It's still great to look back thru the archives and see what masters used to haunt these halls.
It took me 240 entries to record my first win...so proud I was.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/174635/without-you.html
charlie

ShootHerman

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Yep! This is so true! Like I could have written it myself.👍🏻But Im not that good to express myself in english, like you, my belgian chop-friend. I like the chopping-language better. Thats a worldwide language.😉

kinetic_be wrote:

You know what I mean..

Btw, nice poem!

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 am   Reply with quote         

[quote="ShootHerman"]Yep! This is so true! Like I could have written it myself.👍🏻But Im not that good to express myself in english, like you, my belgian chop-friend. I like the chopping-language better. Thats a worldwide language.😉

Hear, hear

aman

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:47 pm   Reply with quote         

salut

monopoid

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 pm   Reply with quote         

aman wrote:
salut

salut salut

Luxwiz

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:09 am   Reply with quote         

A BUMP...for the ol' reunion contest Smile

Daenerys

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 am   Reply with quote         

kinetic_be wrote:

You know what I mean..

Btw, nice poem!

Delayed in this post, but that's okay .... Amen to that, kinetic_be! You said it all!

Beautiful poem, Luxwiz!

DaVinci

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:49 am   Reply with quote         

I think for a lot of people 'life' happened, back in the day I was still a student with lots of time.
Now with a full-time job + kids it's not that easy...though I like to check this site every now and then.
I actually like the old design this site has, it keeps the old PSC feeling alive.

See you guys at the reunion! salut

genesis2

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Anyone have an estimated date that separates the O'l PSC from the New PSC

Luxwiz

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 am   Reply with quote         

genesis2 wrote:
Anyone have an estimated date that separates the O'l PSC from the New PSC

not a specific date,more like a gradual decline and in phases...may have had some correlation with the change in ownerships.Seems the best years were till 2008,I started regular participation in 2006,so caught a couple of good years then,then a downturn to 2012 and another till 2015 and 2016...then kinda downhill from there on...imh of course

eldirlo

Post Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:16 am   Reply with quote         

ol' psc's us as young and there's waybackmachine dot com Wink
it was friggin' 20 years ago, I found occecid leading here, slightly before the sad events, I guess, and I started learning photoshop, got self-taught, and later met a few PSC buddies for real in my hometown Smile which is great memories.I don't believe they still hang out here I hope they're doing good.I met about three psc guys from northern america in Paris, which is something quite exceptionnal after all_and great nice memories

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

eldirlo wrote:
ol' psc's us as young and there's waybackmachine dot com Wink
it was friggin' 20 years ago, I found occecid leading here, slightly before the sad events, I guess, and I started learning photoshop, got self-taught, and later met a few PSC buddies for real in my hometown Smile which is great memories.I don't believe they still hang out here I hope they're doing good.I met about three psc guys from northern america in Paris, which is something quite exceptionnal after all_and great nice memories

Led? Question

later:
oops...just fell down a rabbit hole...
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2525&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - The Ol' PSC - Reply to topic