Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Pretty interesting - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Papchap

Post Sat May 30, 2020 11:18 am   Reply with quote         

Zizounai wrote:
I was not from this world in kingdom years, so I would like to get a reply to my proposal. It has something to do with selfish votings, as it would be easier to give a mark to an average chop instead of not voting at all, and to give a good appreaciation to a chop we really like.

me too Smile We could make this a separate forum thread tho I guess if you like

Post Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz says it has been debated many times but I don't know what the result was.
And also times have changed since kingdom years, perhaps a good reason to evolve?

Papchap

Post Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Definitely. Just like the US voting system I'd say

Post Sat May 30, 2020 2:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Papchap wrote:
Definitely. Just like the US voting system I'd say

yeah but more like flogging a dead horse Laughing

Zizounai

Post Sat May 30, 2020 5:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Why? Why? Why? Tell me whyyyyyy Rolling Eyes

ShootHerman

Post Sat May 30, 2020 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
Geir I thought your post here was reffering to the voting in the prize contests so what I wrote above was pertaining to them.The other members comments seem to be opinions about voting in general and that topic has already been rehashed to kingdom come here for years...So people how about some other opinions about the voting in prize contests and why its become "selfish" as Geir says,which is what this post is about...

The problem is generally all over all the contests. IMO.
genesis2 called me psc.com police and even gave me my own badge. Great humor g2. It is. I like humor.😁👍🏻
But I think this voting problem really is a great problem in here. Its hard to fix. It is. I know. Because psc.com isnt was it used to be. Lot of members with more friendly tone all over. Now its lack of active members and when some good chopper arrives this site they see "how it works" with the (unfair) voting and selfishness that has become a usual thing in here.

Jeeeezez, I feel old (Im not that old😬) when I complain about this, but I really mean it. Maybe I just have to admit that this is life. Just accept it. Anyway Gort, this site is not a silly site. This is a site with a lot of creativy and fu....ing greedy members.😂😆🤣

Cheers.🥂🍻🤘🏼

Post Sat May 30, 2020 6:23 pm   Reply with quote         

In asking why the prize contests have become "selfish", you have answered your own question, my friend. The world contains some selfish people. You cannot change this. As long as there are "contests" there will be people trying to play games with votes.
When Luxwiz said "beating a dead horse" he has been around here long enough to have seen different voting rules. No matter what, it's always the same... some people are selfish and vote that way.

There is a way out of the endless argument... CHOP FOR FUN.
If you are here it means you enjoy chopping. So make the best damn chop you can and experienced choppers will see you improve and comment on it. Remember, there are really nice people on the site too.

YerPalAl

Post Sat May 30, 2020 8:05 pm   Reply with quote         

What Gort said. Smile

Tawiskaro

Post Sat May 30, 2020 9:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Zizounai wrote:
Yes, what Gort wrote is brilliant.

Wouldn't it be possible to organise the votes in a different way (as there are not so many participants) by giving a note from 1 to 10 for example? I would prefer it this way so much. Am I the only one?

The voting on PhotoShopNation.com uses a scoring system like the one you described above, except using a scale of 0 through 100. There are penalties for failing to score fellow competitors. There are a couple of other wrinkles. The result is no less frustrating than the voting here. You have inexperienced or lousy choppers casting ridiculously high or low scores. You have excellent choppers intentionally scoring low against the competition to try to counterbalance the effects of the incompetent voters.

I much prefer the voting here, and agree with many of Luis's views regarding the $50 contests. Gort makes some good points, as well. I would recommend that contestants can't vote. Only non-contestants can vote. I said "would". I would recommend that if we had many more active members. But we don't. Automatically collecting a vote from each competitor would pad the stats, but the result would be the same as the contestants can't vote notion.

I am content to leave the voting alone and let all comers vote (or not) guided by the light of their own conscience. For myself, I almost never will vote for another chop in the money contests. I have various reasons for this, but I figure if my chop is as good or better than a competitor's chop, the competitor is not getting my vote. Have I voted for a chop clearly superior to one of my own in a money contest? Yes, but it's been a while. I'd like to think I will still do that, but I no longer enter many of the money comps.

I would love to see a renaissance here that didn't focus so much on voting and winning, but on teaching and learning. My experience here has been that the more I learned, the more fun I had, and the more wins I scored. I also have found that I like sharing what I learned here.

Keep up the good work, Z.

Smile

YerPalAl

Post Sat May 30, 2020 10:57 pm   Reply with quote         

I have to say I started here along time ago. I left, came back, left again, returned once more . . . . . I dunno, I've lost count. I keep coming back because I love this place. This place taught me Photoshop. It also gave me so many friends, so many laughs,so many opened doors . . . this place got under my skin and stayed there. Every contest I enter I watch my votes per entry go down and I don't care anymore. It hurts when people are shitty, but I'm still here. I just do wish more people would come back.

Papchap

Post Sun May 31, 2020 5:21 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
I have to say I started here along time ago. I left, came back, left again, returned once more . . . . . I dunno, I've lost count. I keep coming back because I love this place. This place taught me Photoshop. It also gave me so many friends, so many laughs,so many opened doors . . . this place got under my skin and stayed there. Every contest I enter I watch my votes per entry go down and I don't care anymore. It hurts when people are shitty, but I'm still here. I just do wish more people would come back.

Your stories make me sad, Al.

Do you think you know the reasons why more new people aren't coming/staying? I mean, there's the voting system, there's the lack of people already here,... I want to lay all the reasons out.

Post Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 am   Reply with quote         

I think there are multiple reasons, voting certainly played a part. Even back when this place rocked people complained about the voting. There were accusations of vote swapping, false accounts so a chopper could vote on his own work, this sort of thing. But there are other reasons as well. Some people got busy with their real lives. Some became parents. Others had priorities change. (I got way more into shooting pictures than chopping them) Some people got just flat burned out. A few left because of politics. Some left because the site offended them. (This place used to be ruder than it is now) Then too, there have been so, so many chops done here, is there a limit of what can be done? Nobody cares if you replace the moon in the sky with an Oreo cookie, those things are passe. No, there is no one reason and I'll be darned if I can come up with an idea to make voting fairer. Maybe only those not entered IN a contest could vote ON a contest, but that would drive the vote totals down even further.

I just don't know.

I DO know that when chops were getting 30, 40, 50+ votes this place was a lot more fun.

The excitement just is not here anymore, although the last reunion contest did spark a lot of fun for me seeing some of the greats again. (Welcome back Gort) Very Happy

Zizounai

Post Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks Tawiskaro, Gort and Al for all your info. This is very interesting and you brought an answer to many questions.

YerPalAl

Post Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

AND crap . . . . . .

just like that I forgot to vote in yesterday's contest!

D'OH!! Embarassed

Luxwiz

Post Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:16 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
AND crap . . . . . .

just like that I forgot to vote in yesterday's contest!

D'OH!! Embarassed

see just goes to show,this voting system sucks Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Pretty interesting - Reply to topic