Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - On Death and Dying (the Forums: Part Deux) - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Alright, so the forums have officially degenerated into three themes:

1) "You're the best! No you're the best!":

Where people applaud other people for winning a contest, coming in fourth, or just being themselves. The initial praise is followed by ten "I agree"'s and a few "that means a lot coming from someone as amazing as you"'s.

2) I type, therefore I am:

This is where people tell you they're new here. You welcome them. They never show up again.

3) The Perpetual Game Machine:

This is where people create games that involve the absolute minumum amount of energy and brain power to participate in. These games make Rock Paper Scissors look like a chess match with Kasparov.
They are the crack-cocaine of the forum - addictive enough that they are guaranteed to remain at the top of the topics list in perpetuity.
Ultimately, the real game is between its creators - to see who's game can stay active the longest.

This is a problem.

Because the majority of people only check out the most recent topics on the home page, posts with substance often get squeezed out into the ghost town that is the forums page, never to be seen again.

Let's do something about this. Bring a sense of indignity back to these pages.

p.s. "Chump Chump" was satire so don't go there, girlfriend! (though I'd be flattered if you did)

Cynn

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:26 pm   Reply with quote         

I have an idea. Instead of waggling your fingers at the rest of us, why not start one of those "substantial" topics that you're so hot on, and see if people join in. Be part of the solution.

Square

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:32 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd just like to say.......good answer, Cynn Smile

cafn8d 09/12 @ 09:41 pm

I've been there! Wow, I've been someplace Square's been! That is SO AWESO... what... the SHIV is over? oh... Well, I've still been there... Smile

https://shannonlea1218.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 pm   Reply with quote         

that means a lot coming from someone as amazing as you, square!

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Cynn, you're a defensive person.

You obviously like the forum topics the way they are (as does Square). And if many others express the same feeling, I guess there' no reason for me to be "part of the solution" as there will be nothing to solve.

I was just throwing some thoughts out there.

Cynn

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, it does strike me as particularly counterproductive to criticize people for the content of their posts. A couple days ago, we were talking about how the forums are too quiet. Isn't the fact that we're posting and interacting a positive thing? I don't think games are somehow inerently less valuable, to a community, than serious discussions. All tutorials and no games make Jack a dull chopper.

(Thanks, Square! Very Happy )

Heather!

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:49 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:

Alright, so the forums have officially degenerated into three themes:

1) "You're the best! No you're the best!":

Where people applaud other people for winning a contest, coming in fourth, or just being themselves. The initial praise is followed by ten "I agree"'s and a few "that means a lot coming from someone as amazing as you"'s.

2) I type, therefore I am:

This is where people tell you they're new here. You welcome them. They never show up again.

3) The Perpetual Game Machine:

This is where people create games that involve the absolute minumum amount of energy and brain power to participate in. These games make Rock Paper Scissors look like a chess match with Kasparov.
They are the crack-cocaine of the forum - addictive enough that they are guaranteed to remain at the top of the topics list in perpetuity.
Ultimately, the real game is between its creators - to see who's game can stay active the longest.

This is a problem.

Because the majority of people only check out the most recent topics on the home page, posts with substance often get squeezed out into the ghost town that is the forums page, never to be seen again.

Let's do something about this. Bring a sense of indignity back to these pages.

p.s. "Chump Chump" was satire so don't go there, girlfriend! (though I'd be flattered if you did)

1-have you polled ever psc member to get the whole "most people" concensus?

2-who are YOU, other than a aloas for Jeolfreeman to troll with, to decide what is a "post of substance". i certainly have never seen anything of substance stammer out of your fingers, EVER.

3-The first step tp getting dignety back to the pages is for you to shut your judgemental, overbaring mouth!

4-if people are enjoying a thread that means it is a worth while thread. Period. PSC is fro ALL members and they variety of things they enjoy not just you

5-if you dont like it, take a hike and dont let the door hit ya in the butt on your way out.

6-You are a coward alias boy!

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:51 pm   Reply with quote         

I hate to admit it but I see some logic in badcop's argument.

HOWEVER, he/she also talks a lot of crap (but we always knew that Wink )

I mostly disagree with him/her, but the thing about other threads getting pushed out of the way by games/congratulations (not that many people use that thread *ahem*), etc., is a valid one.

I don't think the solution is to do away with these threads though. I mean, that would be suicide. Once they're gone, you can say goodbye to the forum.

My suggestion is to have several "most recently added to" threads in each category listed, rather than just the latest one. I know how annoying it is when you spend ages starting a new thread, only for it to be pushed into second place (and thereby forgotten for all eternity) by the latest addition to the word association thread or something (no offence to whoever started that... it's a good thread).

Did I mention that I disagree with all the other crap badcop said? Wink

...currently experiencing some dysfunctional internal protocol problems.

http://diystrat.blogspot.com/
Square

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:55 pm   Reply with quote         

BC, I'd take your arguements much more seriously if you'd drop the whole "I'm an alias and that's okay" theme, sung to the tune of the Lumberjack song from Monty Python. Laughing

I've been there! Wow, I've been someplace Square's been! That is SO AWESO... what... the SHIV is over? oh... Well, I've still been there... Smile

Square

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:00 pm   Reply with quote         

ya know, I recently started a thread but it's off the front page so to speak. If I truly felt it merited being on top all the time, I'd comment in it frequently to keep it current 'til it caught favor.

BRB.,....gotta resurrect a thread. Laughing

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

Heather,

your first language is English so I have to assume what I'm seeing is the result of you typing with your feet.

From what I can decipher, the gyst of your argument is "if you don't like it, get out".

Although many regulars have already followed your advice, I like this site and and would like to avoid that for at least a little while.

As usual you've added the standard alias accusation to your response. For the most part I've stopped defending myself but the JoelFreeman thing needs to be addressed. Because you and bluefist believe me to be an alias of this member, I hereby give Bluefist (a mod) permission to permanently delete the account of JoelFreeman. That way, if we're the same person, I'll only exist as Badcop, and therefore no longer an alias (I'm trying to think in your terms here).

Irishstu,

Thank you for putting thought into your response and not taking this personally.
I wouldn't go as far as saying no games means suicide for the forum (I tend to think a better forum would emerge), but I do understand that word association is an integral part of this site for many people.
I think you put forth a good suggestion that I believe is better than the current setup and should definately be considered.

BTW, to remain in favour with the other members you mentioned that you disagreed with the rest of my "crap". If you're referring to the pope eating a baby seal - that's
100% true.

irishstu

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:49 am   Reply with quote         

Ha!

...currently experiencing some dysfunctional internal protocol problems.

http://diystrat.blogspot.com/
irishstu

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:01 am   Reply with quote         

forums consistency is with no doubt today's most universal world 's concern.I think the Unesco should do something about it

EJH

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:06 am   Reply with quote         

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here, but I just feel compelled to say... badcop amuses me. I enjoy his/her sarcasm, but that's just my sense of humor... Very Happy

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:10 am   Reply with quote         

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - On Death and Dying (the Forums: Part Deux) - Reply to topic