Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

bluefist
Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:41 pm   Reply with quote         

If it were up to me...it would go back to a 10 vote limit.

Supa's right. That's part of the reason why this is happening.

Too many God awful posts getting votes.

This 'Electrical Station' contest is a disgrace. Poor POOR work getting votes.

batichan

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I´m agree with supak, there are too many low quality works with lots of votes, coz people love to use all the 25 votes in the first 2 pages of posts, vote for everything, ,and that is not helping with the quality, we should get back to the 15 posts ( or 10 ) again, so, you must think twice to give your vote, and if you wanna give it to a friend thats ok, but imagine that you have only 5 votes, you are NOT going to vote for some ´effort´ and you are not giving a ´welcome vote´ or a ´cute vote´

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Amen Bluefist:)

dewking

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with blue...

somehow there has been an extreme change lately. A few month back it was all unreal posts that deserved 80+ votes... now, its like fark around here. Bad copy/paste jobs, no proportion, blurred images because they were scaled up from tiny images...

I dunno... i rarely vote, but when i do, i vote for what I like, not for "what is good out of the bunch".... "well, they all suck, but i guess this sucks a little less, so it gets my vote"...

GOOD IDEA + CREATIVITY + GOOD PS WORK = Vote

thats how it should work, but thats just me.

Geez... us old schoolers should come out of retirement i guess. Bring back the funny, well ps'd posts... Smile

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Now I can understand some of the derogatory comments I have seen on peoples posts (including my own) that don't leave any constructive criticism. I know that there are issues with the votes when you don't have anonymous entries. This seems to me to be a big part of it as well as 25 votes. boy that is a lot of votes. I agree that we should go back to the 10 or 15 vote limit, and that there should be "Totally Anonymous" posting only. of course, who is going to stop someone from tagging an entry or telling their "Friends" which entry is theirs. I agree that too many low quality entries are getting votes.

1.) Limit the votes per person to 10 or 15
2.) Back to totally anonymous entries
3.) use the comments only block or PM individuals whom you think need to work on their chops--just giving them pointers(Most of them look for that as long as it is done with tact)

Frank

by pacoperez
txpinky

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

I see what you mean Supakoma,

I hate to see that all those similar posts get so much votes.
Maybe we should go back to less votes, like the 'old days.

Less votes = More difficult to get them

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:10 pm   Reply with quote         

HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY,HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, PEACE, LOVE, JOY... Very Happy

supak0ma

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

i don't want this thread to turn into personal attacks, so ronni, enjoy your moment. Let's stay on topic. Carry on.

efunk

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I think it comes down to people's voting habits and actual thought and effort being put into your posts, not necessarily your photoshop skill level. Not that I have't posted some royal crap myself and voted for some for that matter.

Look at the show SouthPark, the animation and images are shitty but the content is F'ing great!

Keep that Funk alive

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:43 pm   Reply with quote         

It's ok not to use all 25 votes. Unfortunately this site actually makes a competition
out of the number of votes cast in the past 7 days.

I agree with that, get rid of the freakin most votes cast last 7 days thing. Casting votes should not be affected by a desire to make it onto that list.

I see no reason for people to be complaining about arbitrary and relative vote totals unless they DO care about vote totals and statistics. This site needs some new stats. This is the bottom line. If the stats can eliminate the inequalities created by all these changes in vote totals and the number of votes people can cast, then it won't seem as bad when a post of a certain quality gets 10 votes now when it would have only received 5 votes back on the old version of the site. The past AND any changes in the future could be accounted for. But not with just having total votes and vpp. It is nice to see them, but their reliability and accuracy have been shattered by the changes in the site over time. As I told show, I'm in the camp that: "You can never have enough stats." I'd be more than happy to write some pseudo code for just testing the stats out. Just a test to see what happens. I think this is an integral part of the arguement at hand.
EJH

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Everyone has their own motivations for voting, but...

I think 25 votes is excessive, and waters down the accomplishment of getting a high number of votes. Sure, it feels good to get a lot of votes, but the numbers meant more to me when we had fewer votes to hand out. Early on when I'd post something and only get a vote or 2, it pushed me to be more creative and work harder. Sympathy votes are encouraging for some, but I'd like to earn mine Smile

I'm fairly stingy with my votes, and have only once--maybe twice--ever used them all. I look for creativity, beauty & skills, and anything that is strong in at least 2 of those areas will usually get my vote.

And I agree 100% with the opinion that the top 10 votes cast list is not good... I think it reinforces just throwing around votes just 'cause you have them.

efunk: I totally agree that shittiness--done WELL like South Park--can definitely be an art. There's a spontaneity to it that is not easy to pull off. I can be really good at drawing & painting with great realism, light, color, etc... but ask me to draw a simple cartoon and I suck at it.

EJH

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:47 pm   Reply with quote         

It is not a site problem, it is a people problem: there used to be contests within contests between people of the same level; the worst took over .I agree that most times the pics suck real bad, I vote once a day when the leader is good.

long ago I would get in the ten first places with a pic I spent hours on; my last winning pics involved about 10/15 minutes of chopping ,each.

Just to be positive....maybe a page about the PS culture, showing what the quality of pics has always been in advertising would help people know

supak0ma

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:07 pm   Reply with quote         

well spoken, for a monkey that is Wink

CrabbyPatty

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree also that 25 posts is too much, and I also think it should be nameless, until the contest is over. I think that way it will give it more drama as well Very Happy
Then again, when I was here years ago, it was kind of the same, some poor quality pics with really high votes.

Cheers everyone!! Very Happy Smile

ramba

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:17 pm   Reply with quote         

When i come in this contest i think we have fun! But sometimes i woder isn't to many vais here! Confused

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic