Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - You asked. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

ReinMan

Post Sat May 07, 2005 11:58 am   Reply with quote         

regarding the Cynn/Metalic vote, I would have appreciated the source links etc. That would probably have influenced my voting ...

But this is all Backwards Thinking. I didn't even think about this stuff until this happened, so it has served to enlighten me in this area. For that I'm thankful. I, for one, will list my sources in the future (if I remember! I'm old and doddering at times! Smile

jasper

Post Sat May 07, 2005 11:59 am   Reply with quote         

yes - a let down - cuz i voted for it, too, I even thought I may have seen it somewhere, but that goes to show you, even experienced choppers can be duped. Wink

one note: it certainly seemed out of character for metalic.

just keep up the excellent chopping. Smile

Post Sat May 07, 2005 12:19 pm   Reply with quote         

edited out.

jasper

Post Sat May 07, 2005 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

huh?

look, I've had sour grapes over a post before...where I have spent SEVERAL hours on a chop, only to have it lose to someone else.

the FACT is, you have to CONNECT with the viewer. When you don't, you lose. In the contest I lost, I didn't connect with the viewer and the other person did.

This is ALSO the case with Cynn vs metalic on the H2H.

Suck it up and move on IMHO.

ps - as far as the anon thing goes - I really think it's a-ok. reinman's h2h was just in his style, using his pic and all.\...works for me.

tyblubearboy

Post Sat May 07, 2005 1:55 pm   Reply with quote         

spencej1129

If you didn't know the work that went into metalics post which obviously you didn't.

Whose the idiot, you or metalic ?

I'll tell you who...

YOU Rolling Eyes

ScionShade

Post Sat May 07, 2005 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

tyblubearboy wrote:
spencej1129

If you didn't know the work that went into metalics post which obviously you didn't.

I'll tell you who...

YOU Rolling Eyes
Which means that YOU did know
what the work was that went into
it but you voted for it anyway?

Post Sat May 07, 2005 4:40 pm   Reply with quote         

tyblubearboy wrote:
spencej1129

I'll tell you who...

YOU Rolling Eyes

Im an idiot for ASSUMING that he has enough character to NOT rip off work, or do a lazy-ass stunt like that, or that he would just spend ten minutes on a chop in R3 Question Question which ever one of those three he did, i am not an idiot for ASSUMING that at least a little bit of work went into it. I know Metalic is a great chopper, that didnt take any time, and you know it.

I assume the best of people And when it came to winning R3, that he would CHOP FOR IT instead of SHOP FOR IT.

1337hax0r

Post Sat May 07, 2005 4:47 pm   Reply with quote         

tyblubearboy wrote:
spencej1129

I'll tell you who...

YOU Rolling Eyes

did you see the original?

i had it posted here...but removed it.

time to BBQ!!! Very Happy

Post Sat May 07, 2005 4:53 pm   Reply with quote         

im done with this argument... i feel bad that metalic is getting dragged throgh the mud for so long.. for this argument at least... Laughing
IM OUT>>> PEACE.

tybluebearboy, respond in PM, if you want... Hmmm

AEaglenFitch

Post Sat May 07, 2005 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

metallic usualy does put AOLT of work into his posts, or atleast it seems he does, his ideas blow my mind! that's what i vote for! and i know this wasnt a stock photo http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/65879/display.html this guy puts alot of time and thought into most of his entrys, or so it seems. he's some one i respecto n this site. so even if he enters the occasional stok photo w/ minor manipulation it's all good.

OneChiefRocker

Post Mon May 09, 2005 11:32 am   Reply with quote         

Sword of Truth: Not much point in even critiquing this. The only worthwhile thing you do is organize demos and so forth. You shout idiotic, alienating rhetoric and collect money in trash barrels. Where are your Chops?

Ok. I'm back on my ROCKER.

Post Tue May 10, 2005 11:10 am   Reply with quote         

for what it's worth, from eairlier in this thread - i'll pseudo quote myself..."If anyone is interested, I'd like to share the sources I found - share what inspires a chop for me - maybe give some insight as to how I searched for sources and the how and why."

here is the image...http://209.125.88.56/john/flamers_s.jpg

and here is the splainin'....

When I saw the source I pictured the background as kind of woodsy - or in some deep clover.
The lower portion immediately reminded me of the surface of a mushroom.
When I saw the silver base of the wick, I had my idea. I thought they would make great wings for a fairy, sprite - or whatever they might be called.
Then I had to think of a use for the flame. I pictured them as wings of smaller creatures and the idea was ready to come to life.

So... I set out to find some sources.

The first image I found was the gills of the mushroom on google. I flipped the base of the candle and duplicated and blended it. (this was also done with the background) Then, I added perspective to the gills and set the min place.

I set some wings (silver base) about where I thought they should be and make them a shimmering gold color.

Next, I wanted to find the right face to get a nice glow that was believeable. That's how I found the boy blowing out the candles (getty). I thought the expression was right for seeing the little flamers.

Then I found the little girls arms with the strawberries (getty). This was the image that helped to bring the idea together. I left the strawberries in as some kind of tiny morsels - mini berries? I thought they would be something good to attract the little "flamers".

I added the armlet that I found on google.

I needed to complete the body, and was looking for something with tights that was in mid-air. Bingo! I found the girl jumping (getty).

Then lots of finishing touches. The curl of hair on the forehead, extended ears, the shadows, the extra "flamers", some bolder lighting effects and main shadow to complete the hovering/landing of the fairy.

Though I got my ass kicked and didn't connect on this one - it was fun! Good chopping all! Smile

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Tue May 10, 2005 11:35 am   Reply with quote         

It's an excellent chop Jasper. Come on over to my house this evening, I'm cooking all the "losers" a big dinner. ; )

Post Tue May 10, 2005 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

Well done, jasper.

You've nicely illustrated the difference between conceptualizing & building an image vs. taking someone else's work and pasting in the PSC source.

You could have easily done a search for "flame" or "fire" and found some visually stunning fairy or firefly image and then just worked in the particular flame from the contest image, but you didn't. You came up with your own idea and pulled it off using your skills... Nice work!

jasper

Post Tue May 10, 2005 3:26 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks nancers - I'll take an order of that humble pie that velocity baked me.

thanks EJH. It was what I was trying to illustrate - so, it worked out alright anyhow.

now I'll just sit back and let vunt van p do all the work. Ahhhhh....

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - You asked. - Reply to topic